Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, let me give you some background on my issue....August 2014, bought a used Ridgeline, it was under 1 year old, perfect! Well, when at the dealership, noticed a chip in the bottom corner of the drivers side...the salesman said, we will drill it out, patch it, barely noticeable and won't have to worry about it...needless to say, let's fast forward to today...went outside, it has split from the repair...looks like maybe the fill they used must have came out?? Well, I tried calling the dealership, salesman who sold us that isn't there and said talk to manager, tried calling him 3 times, no answer. I can replace the windshield out of my own pocket for about $320 from safelite....my question is, should I pursue this to the dealership who fixed this or just pay for it out of my own pocket. If it wasn't a previous issue, I wouldn't be complaining and just get it fixed...I have never had a chip repaired on a windshield, so don't know if this is normal for it to split 15 months later? I can give more details/pictures (after removing the bird crap of course)....also, I think it will probably spread, so doubt the split can be repaired...thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Call your insurance first.

In Florida, if you have comprehensive coverage, they must replace the windshield without a deductible. That means free.

I think your approach to the dealer will be a waste of time. I had to argue with my dealer when the windshield cracked with 23 miles on a brand new RL. They finally replaced it under warranty after I complained loudly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just signed up with Geico and it says that it would have to use deductible....so that's $500...but still have coverage with esurance until the 21st...bet they are the same...well the dealership asked for pictures, so sent, we will see...not holding my breath, but if they don't fix it for me, I will stop referring people to go there...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call your insurance first.

In Florida, if you have comprehensive coverage, they must replace the windshield without a deductible. That means free.

I think your approach to the dealer will be a waste of time. I had to argue with my dealer when the windshield cracked with 23 miles on a brand new RL. They finally replaced it under warranty after I complained loudly.
Your one of the few states that does that...Ohio doesn't, so would be $500...and checked quote now its $418 from safelite...odd, I will wait to hear from the dealer....just annoyed, because if I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have bought the truck without them replacing the windshield...

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I've had safelite repair for free (covered by Farmers Ins) two rock chips, the one on my Ridgeline has been 'fixed' for a few years. It was relatively small. But the one in the Mini Cooper was large and quite messy, my insurance guy at the time was a friend and he said the size has to fit within the picture of George Washington on a dollar bill or about 1 1/4" in diameter.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I know of no one that has a $500 comprehensive deductible so I assume they're using your collision. Next time tell them a rock must have flew up and hit it. If you told them the repair story you cost yourself a lot of money.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I doubt you find an oem windshield. Most everyone subs it out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Your one of the few states that does that...Ohio doesn't, so would be $500...
Ohio doesn't force them to fix it for free...but it's likely that you have two deductibles. One for collision and a smaller one for comprehensive.

I'm in Ohio and my coverage through state farm has deductibles of $500/$100.

Had the window replaced in my RL last moth for $100.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohio doesn't force them to fix it for free...but it's likely that you have two deductibles. One for collision and a smaller one for comprehensive.

I'm in Ohio and my coverage through state farm has deductibles of $500/$100.

Had the window replaced in my RL last moth for $100.

Yeah, I have both...both are set at $500 :(
Should have lowered coverage, literally the other day just joined Geico

The dealership who initially "fixed it" gave me an "at cost" quote of $418 from a glass shop...so I called the glass shop, they quoted me $318...hmmmm, safelite is $278....lesson learned about windshields, and when I buy my next accord, it won't be there!

·
Registered
81 Posts
And also something about insurance...

You might consider lowering the comprehensive deductible, as it should have little effect on your premium.

Fun fact, if you hit a deer...as long as you don't run off the road and into an object then your comprehensive applies...not collision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And also something about insurance...

You might consider lowering the comprehensive deductible, as it should have little effect on your premium.

Fun fact, if you hit a deer...as long as you don't run off the road and into an object then your comprehensive applies...not collision.
Yeah, never really played around with it before...i will now...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I had an appointment made at safelite, but figured since I was getting nowhere with the dealership, I would write on their facebook wall and Honda's. After what I wrote, the salesman contacted me. While I am not thrilled because I am still going to have to pay, I think it was decent offer from them. They matched safelite's quote for me at $318 out the door, and are giving me $150 credit for a repair in the future....I couldn't get them to give it off the window, guess they want me to come back in the future (which I would consider it, seeing they worked with me)...probably not the best deal, some say I could have argued it to free, but I don't think so...and I need them to check out the seats...the seats squeak when you make turns...both driver and passenger....truck just turned over 34k miles, so still in factory, want to get that looked at before it runs out. Also, I feel like it shifts rough...I could be used to the Accord, and the RLs may be like that, but just want to make sure it is all okay.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,582 Posts
The MM alert for the tranny fluid won't typically appear until the OCI prior to reaching 45k miles (normal service).

I agree, the tranny fluid should be changed. And yes, it is a very simple DIY procedure as henni suggests and will give a good indication of fluid condition (color and odor). If dark, it may be a good idea to do the Honda flush (3 or 4 D&Fs and drive in-between changes exercising all gears).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May do this, i have done it in my Accord, will see what they say....bought it at 28k miles, so dont put many miles on it...i doubt the dealership did it since it only had 28k miles on it...i will report back after i take it in tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They replaced the glass, used the $150 credit towards it, so $168 out the door....while not free, more than what they could have done....they said shifted fine, so probably just different, said no codes...they also tightened bolts on the front seats too...was raining like crazy, so didnt quite listen to that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts