Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the truck to work today and noticed a large crack extending over a foot from the driver's side A-pillar. Temperature has been moderate recently with lows in the 60s and highs in the 80s, so it's not the heating element.

Read a couple threads about replacement due to the heating element and some people having issues with their new windshields, OEM or not. I have a $50 deductible with my insurance, though I have a feeling I would have to pay a premium for OEM over aftermarket. What's the difference in price? Does anyone have any empirical evidence that OEM is superior? Not looking for "Honda must make things better" since we know that even OEM parts can change over the years (look at oil filters, for example). Do aftermarket windshields have the same tint at the top and the same "shading" around the rearview mirror?

Anything else to check prior to replacement? I've heard about water leaks after replacing the windshield. I've not had any issues with moisture or wind noise up to now with nearly 130k on the clock.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
While I can't comment on the quality of aftermarket windshields, I caution you to become familiar with the TSB for Windshield Noise after replacement. I've had 3 replacements and had one of them done over due to wind noise. CSIMO posted the TSB some time back.

Look at your crack (windshield that is), to see if it is on the outer layer or on the inside of the windshield. The latter often will qualify for warranty replacement. The dealer will do the pen test, by running a ballpoint pen along the crack. If he comes to a bump in the crack he will say that is the impact point and no chance of warranty coverage.

It would be to your advantage to get your dealer to ride with you before the replacement, to prove no wind noise exists before repair. After one repair I had wind noise, I went back and they agreed to replace a few days later when an installer was available. In the meantime I installed wind-deflectors on the doors and hood. The installer refused to do the work because he said the noise was coming from my wind-deflectors and not the windshield.

Depending on model of RL (RT, RTS, RTL SE etc), there are different part numbers. It's not unusual for the wrong one to be used.
RT / RTS Windshield :- 73111-SJP-A40
RTL / SE Windshield :- 73111-SJP-A50

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=304603&postcount=25

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1405682&postcount=96

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what the TSB is for a cracked windshield. There is some kind of memo for windshield noise which I've read that I may get after replacing the windshield, but that's it.

8 years old and 130k miles - the windshield may be under some kind of warranty?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm not sure what the TSB is for a cracked windshield. There is some kind of memo for windshield noise which I've read that I may get after replacing the windshield, but that's it.

8 years old and 130k miles - the windshield may be under some kind of warranty?
I had the same kind of crack on the drivers side, horizontal, half way up about six inches long from the pillar. Crack on was on the outside and happened this spring. No rhyme or reason for this crack. Insurance company allowed OEM windshield replacement, no regrets. With over 198K miles on my ridge at time,
way beyond warranty. Good Luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same kind of crack on the drivers side, horizontal, half way up about six inches long from the pillar. Crack on was on the outside and happened this spring. No rhyme or reason for this crack. Insurance company allowed OEM windshield replacement, no regrets. With over 198K miles on my ridge at time,
way beyond warranty. Good Luck
Thanks, I'm hoping this is my experience as well. Just want to be prepared. I've been a cash cow for my insurance company (no claims) for several years, so I'm hoping they don't put up a fight for OEM.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I'm not sure what the TSB is for a cracked windshield. ?

The TSB is for wind noise after replacement caused if the replacement isn't positioned correctly. See pics in the TSB. If I remember correctly there is a credit card test for spacing. See link in my post above.

Cracks from heater elements are often covered under warranty, sound like you may have a normal crack?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Do a little homework before you get it fixed. My windshield cracked on my new truck (less than 500 miles, less than two weeks) and the dealer gave me a rough time about replacing it. I insisted there was no impact, and that the windshield appeared stressed (from poor installation) because the crack was originating on the outside bottom edge. They finally agreed to fix it.

The part to do homework on is that they had to order an OEM replacement (brand new truck-warranty repair) from California and have it shipped to Florida. I hate to think how much that thing cost. so when you schedule the repair, if they tell you they have an OEM in stock...be wary. The OEM glass is always stamped Honda so you should be able to tell. I saw mine in a giant wooden crate before they installed it.

Also, a lot of dealers send these out to local specialty shops. If you end up paying for this yourself, you might get a better deal direct from the shop. Although if you make a claim, it will be hard to beat $50.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, by all accounts this is a normal crack, though the truck hasn't been through any kind of recent trauma or road debris to cause a crack like this.

My plan is to call insurance and have them cover it, and insist on the use of OEM glass. I don't think the dealer owes me anything at this point unless there was some kind of extended warranty on windshields due to a factory defect.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Ok Good Luck!
Let us know the details of your replacement. OEM? Wind Noise etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know this is a late response to the original posting, but if you still haven't had any luck finding out why your windshield cracked consider this. I worked for a few years as an auto glass installer. On older vehicles we would often see cracks with no apparent cause. Usually, once the glass was removed the cause was obvious. Rust that starts on the pinch-weld under the outer edge of the windshield causes stress fractures as it pushes out from the framing.

I don't know of anyone having any problems with this type of rusting on an RL but I do know some rust has started to show on earlier models.

Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to update this one.

Had the windshield replaced at Safelite - wasn't PPG or any brand I was familiar with, but I haven't had any noticeable problems with water or wind whistling. I do notice the gasket around the windshield looks aftermarket. It's not a smooth transition from glass to frame.

Looking closely at the original glass, there was a tiny pock mark that must have suddenly spread. It looked like it went out 1/8" and then went horizontal. It was there when I bought the truck last fall, and I figured the previous owner had already had it filled. Guess not. Other than the lousy gasket, the aftermarket windshield seems fine. I didn't want to pay the additional $281 and wait any longer to have the OEM glass put in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts