Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my Ridgeline today and noticed near the heated elements in the lower part of the windshield that there was a crack, and no visible marks on the windshield from something hitting it. My service mgr looked puzzled when I showed him. Anyone else had any problems? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A supervisor of mine once began to wash his truck, in the sun. When the water from the hose hit the windshield it broke from thermal stress. I'm not saying you did it when you were washing, just that it's possible for thermal stress to crack a windshield. You said it was near the heated elements in the lower part of the windshield. I didn't even know there were any elements like that, I'll have to go take a look at mine now!

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Mine is cracked too. It's on the passenger side and it crosses the heating element (the crack has grown since first detected). I'm 100% sure that it was there when I picked it up but it wasn't easy to see due to the shaded area of the windshield. At least one other person on this forum has reported the same issue and theirs was cracked in the same place as mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honda has had MASSIVE problems with this regarding the Element. My wife's Element is on it's 3rd windshield - and it is cracked all the way across. The second windshield I bought was an aftermarket that the installer said NEVER breaks - it lasted 4 months. :mad:

Honda refuses to replace at their cost- even though, if you do a search for "Honda Element Windshield" you will find hundreds of other people with the same problem.

Hope the Ridge isn't going to do the same thing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
ozarkhawk said:
Honda has had MASSIVE problems with this regarding the Element. My wife's Element is on it's 3rd windshield - and it is cracked all the way across. The second windshield I bought was an aftermarket that the installer said NEVER breaks - it lasted 4 months. :mad:

Honda refuses to replace at their cost- even though, if you do a search for "Honda Element Windshield" you will find hundreds of other people with the same problem.

Hope the Ridge isn't going to do the same thing.
I too have a cracked windshield in the lower left corner. I picked up a pebble that left no visible impact mark. I'm convinced based on what others have posted that we're dealing with a stress situation. Not much recourse either it sounds like. You're best bet is to get an insurance company with a good windshield policy. A buddy at work says his pays anything over $100. I think mine is much higher.

·
Registered
121 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
You're best bet is to get an insurance company with a good windshield policy. A buddy at work says his pays anything over $100. I think mine is much higher.
Usually this requires a low deductable which means higher insurance payments so you have to decide if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
536 Posts
In some states glass coverage is treated seperate.

For example I have a $1000 Deductible but have full glass (no Deductible )

As for the windshield, Honda needs to pony up to this.

This would be a pretty clear case if it went to court. I would enjoy seeing Honda explain how all owners with a cracked windshield all were hit with a small pebble that didn't cause any impact damage to the glass but caused a crack... all in the same area of the glass.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my service manager today, he said since there is no visible impact spot where something has hit it, he would replace it under warranty. It is about a $500 windshiled installed. Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
H20MAN,

I certainly hope Honda takes good care of your windshield! I just ran out to check mine just now and no cracks anywhere. Did anything hit it without you noticing?? Anyway, keep us all posted on the outcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I had the same problem at less then 200 miles, but my local Honda dealer replaced it without a question.

·
ROC Founder, Admin
2,611 Posts
ozarkhawk said:
Just to clarify, the 2003 model Element HAD a problem in the first batch that went to market. There was an area where the windshield sat that allowed for easy cracking of the windshield. Honda corrected that problem way back then (still in the 03 model year) and the 06 models are about to come out. I'm not sure I'd consider this a massive problem.

Ozark - I realize after replacing a windshield 3x that it's a massive problem to you, so I'm not trying to make light of your situation. But as the admin for the largest E forum on the web, I have to say that this issue only affected a small percentage of owners. What year is your Element? I'd be interested to know if you'll PM me.

If the Ridgeline has a windshield issue here in the first batch, Honda will correct the situation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my windshield replaced today. The glass shop said this was their second one they have done.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Good for you! I will be visiting the dealership next week while the district manager is there. Hopefully they will replace mine shortly thereafter. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's been a week since my windshield has been replaced and no noise or anything. I know some people are weary about replacing it unless it absolutely needs to be done, no fear it will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I was scheduled to take mine in for inspection this week. The district rep (or whatever his title is) was the one who had to approve a windshield replacement but he left the local dealership before I had a chance to visit. They called and said that he was aware of the issue and the replacement would be taken care of. The dealership has ordered the windshield (and associated parts) and an appointment will be set when they arrive.

Without sounding a panic alarm, I urge all owners to carefully inspect their windshields. The area at the bottom, where it's shaded/tinted and where the heating element lives, appears to be a common trouble spot and it's very easy to have a crack and not notice it. A bright flashlight will make it much easier to see cracks in the glass.

·
Registered
133 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
I too have a cracked windshield in the lower left corner. I picked up a pebble that left no visible impact mark. I'm convinced based on what others have posted that we're dealing with a stress situation. Not much recourse either it sounds like. You're best bet is to get an insurance company with a good windshield policy. A buddy at work says his pays anything over $100. I think mine is much higher.
I live in South Carolina which has a glass replacement policy. Insurance companies by law wave the deductible and replace glass for free.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I read this thread and thought, "Whew, glad mine's not cracked". Then this week end I took a close look at the passanger side while washing.

I'll be calling the dealer Monday. Has everyone gotten this replaced under warranty?

I encourage everyone to look closely. It's hard to see if the light is not right. I took this photo in bright sunlight. Photo is not the best because of the shine but the crack is visible. A different photo from a different angel and you couldn't see it at all. In low light a bright flashlight may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Jeez Steve, that is really a bummer! According to Ridged above, he is geeting his replaced under warranty. I'd print out some of the threads on this to bring with you JIC. How many miles do you have and when did you get your RL?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Man, that's nasty. I'd get it fixed at the dealer right away, and insist that the factory pay for it, whether you have glass coverage or not. It's a factory defect unless they can prove it otherwise (chip, nick, etc.)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
How many miles do you have and when did you get your RL?
6,500 miles March 13th

1 - 20 of 70 Posts