Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping for a RL for about a month now and can find nothing of interest locally (Columbus, OH) that meets my expectations of a quality used Honda. My search radius quickly widened to 250 miles and I've wasted one trip already looking at a 2011 RTL in NW PA that had way too much rust going on underneath and starting on the rockers and rear fenders near the wheel wells. However, I've found what looks to be a promising 2014 SE w/ 73k mi on it located in SW PA, but they have it listed for almost $24k! I've always thought I wanted a 1G RL, but I see at that price point there are many 2G RLs priced in the same ballpark (about $25k-$28k). Is it crazy to even consider the 2014 SE for that coin?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Nice looking rear end anyway. I wish you had posted more photos.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a 2014 SE with almost 74k mi on it. One-owner that purchased at the same dealership who is now selling it. Apparently he sold it back to them earlier this week. See anything that should make me walk away, or consider a 2G for a grand or two more?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Does the dealership website have a “Appraise My Trade-in” link? If so, enter a 2014 Rigi. That number will be the absolute max they paid for it......probably less.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Before trading in my '06 for a 2019, I looked for a SE with low miles. None to be found. I love the design of the G1 better than the G2, but the G2 does have significant advantages, and a few disadvantages. Not having a true low gear still bothers me, but I am getting used to that. The decreased back seat legroom is also a problem, but only on the drivers side because I am tall, so the person sitting behind me is always in discomfort. Other than that, the greater horse power is a plus in the G2. Looks like a great well cared for vehicle. Be sure to look at the CarFax on it for sure. Also, I would have them include at no extra charge, an extended warranty, at that price.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before trading in my '06 for a 2019, I looked for a SE with low miles. None to be found. I love the design of the G1 better than the G2, but the G2 does have significant advantages, and a few disadvantages. Not having a true low gear still bothers me, but I am getting used to that. The decreased back seat legroom is also a problem, but only on the drivers side because I am tall, so the person sitting behind me is always in discomfort. Other than that, the greater horse power is a plus in the G2. Looks like a great well cared for vehicle. Be sure to look at the CarFax on it for sure. Also, I would have them include at no extra charge, an extended warranty, at that price.
Thanks for the reply and warranty suggestion LeXRidge. I like the G1 design over the G2 as well. The rear legroom is a factor because I have two kids, and this will be my only vehicle. I've driven a G2 and it does ride nice, but the you're right about the rear legroom. The Honda dealer selling it uses AutoCheck, although I find CarFax easier to scan thru. They claim in the description that it was bought and serviced "here". I'll make sure to ask for all the service history records, since they should have them!

Do those Hankook DynaPro ATMs look new to you or not? I was researching tires on here last night and don't have much of a need for AT tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the dealership website have a “Appraise My Trade-in” link? If so, enter a 2014 Rigi. That number will be the absolute max they paid for it......probably less.
Hi HRL383. Good point. I did explore that option, but noticed they want me to submit my info. It's not an immediate appraisal like Edmunds or KBB. From my research, the asking price does seem to fit within a fair price range. I guess I'm wondering at that price point if spending a grand or two more and getting a 2017-18 G2 is a better proposition.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The mileage is very close to timing belt replacement, and the radiator problem is probably close to the Strawberry Milkshake of Death (SMOD). You do NOT want either of these things to happen. I was lucky with my '06. Never had the timing belt changed or the radiator, when I traded her with 189000 on it. If on top of it, not a problem, but if either happens, you are so screwed. Have the dealer (or your own mechanic) check this out thoroughly! It is really important.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I traded my 2012 RTL in for a 2018 RTL-E in 2018. My G1 was 6-years old had about 65k miles and was purchased, services and traded into Honda 385 in Memphis TN. It was in immaculate condition with new Michelin tires and a new battery. I received $20k trade in on my G1 and paid close to dealer invoice on my G2. I saw my G1 parked at the front of the lot, directly under the dealership sign (prime position) with $24,995 on the windshield a few days later.

So $24k for a 6-year, low milage 'cream puff' G1 sounds about right to me. If you want a G1, this may be your best opportunity. I'd offer $22k with the dealership doing the timing belt service, new radiator and flush all fluids and see what they counter offer with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with coolbob, ask them for that work to be done and a lower price and see what the counter with. I just checked KBB and trade in value is ~17-19k. In my searching for a Corvette recently, I have seen a couple forum cars get traded in, so I know what they got for them and they show up on a dealer lot for 5-7k more than they paid for them. I would guess they gave 17-18k for it and started the pricing at 6-7k more.

I do have one question when I hear people say rear legroom is less in the 2G, what am I missing? I checked specs from Honda:
1G (2014) / 2G (2018)
Front Headroom: 40.7 / 40.1
Rear Headroom: 39.1 / 38.8
Front Legroom: 40.8 / 40.9
Rear Legroom: 36.4 / 36.7
Front Shoulder: 63.2 / 62.0
Rear Shoulder: 62.6 / 61.5
Front Hip: 57.6 / 59.1
Rear Hip: 57.1 / 56.6

Looks like headroom and shoulder room are both more in the 1G, but legroom is more in the 2G. Is it a real world feel or something?

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
Lol. I well remember the hand wringing around here before the G2 Ridgeline came out. People were so afraid of the value of their vehicles (G1 Ridgelines) dropping when the new model came out.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Man that is exactly the ridge I want. I would pay it. I paid $23k for my 2006 110k ridge in 2011.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,358 Posts
Just remember that is ASKING price. You know they lowballed the owner on trade in and want to make $5-7,000 on it. Considering the maintenance coming up I'd offer them 20-21,000and explain that you have to do the timing belt/water pump service and most likely replace the radiator. I wouldn't trust them to do it in the deal unless I saw them tear it down. KBB retail tops out at just under 22,000.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts