Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've found what looks to be a promising 2014 SE w/ 73k mi on it located in SW PA, but they have it listed for almost $24k! I've always thought I wanted a 1G RL, but I see at that price point there are many 2G RLs priced in the same ballpark (about $25k-$28k). Is it crazy to even consider the 2014 SE for that coin?
Yes, it is crazy.
How many miles do you typically have on a vehicle before you get rid of it?

Let's assume you get a newer vehicle once your current vehicle reaches 175K miles.
That means this one has 42% of its life already used up (73K / 175K).

In other words, it only has 58% of its usable miles left.
Therefore, you shouldn't pay more than 58% of what a brand new model goes for (with 100% usable miles left).

You can get a leftover 2019 RTL for $30K or a 2020 RTL for probably $34K.
That means you should pay NO MORE than $17,500 - $19,800 for this used model with 73K miles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If this was a private owner vehicle for sale, I bet it would only fetch about $18k. A dealer offered me $13500. for my 2012 RTL with 67k miles and brand new Michelins. Honestly, I think wealthy dealerships are demanding higher profit from it's customers. They'll put a high price on their used vehicles and just wait for the right guy who will pay.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,198 Posts
Yes, it is crazy.
How many miles do you typically have on a vehicle before you get rid of it?

Let's assume you get a newer vehicle once your current vehicle reaches 175K miles.
That means this one has 42% of its life already used up (73K / 175K).

In other words, it only has 58% of its usable miles left.
Therefore, you shouldn't pay more than 58% of what a brand new model goes for (with 100% usable miles left).

You can get a leftover 2019 RTL for $30K or a 2020 RTL for probably $34K.
That means you should pay NO MORE than $17,500 - $19,800 for this used model with 73K miles.
Many here dislike the GenII and wouldn't consider buying one. I agree that this SE it is more like a $20k vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
175k seems a rather arbitrary EOL number. Why not 250k miles? 300k? etc.

Properly maintained and operated, these trucks should easily reach 500k miles imo. But very few will keep a single vehicle that long. At 15k miles per year, 450k is 30 years of driving the same vehicle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
175k seems a rather arbitrary EOL number. Why not 250k miles? 300k? etc.

But very few will keep a single vehicle that long. At 15k miles per year, 450k is 30 years of driving the same vehicle.
That's exactly why I asked the OP how many miles they typically put on a vehicle.
You can easily run these calculations to match your personal ownership habits.

I used 175K because that is how long I generally keep vehicles.
I buy new, drive for 11-15 years and 150K-185K miles. Sell them private party before they require lots of repairs I can't do myself.

As you point out, you can talk all day long about these vehicles going to 300K or 500K miles.
But the reality is, very very few people actually drive them that long.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've been shopping for a RL for about a month now and can find nothing of interest locally (Columbus, OH) that meets my expectations of a quality used Honda. My search radius quickly widened to 250 miles and I've wasted one trip already looking at a 2011 RTL in NW PA that had way too much rust going on underneath and starting on the rockers and rear fenders near the wheel wells. However, I've found what looks to be a promising 2014 SE w/ 73k mi on it located in SW PA, but they have it listed for almost $24k! I've always thought I wanted a 1G RL, but I see at that price point there are many 2G RLs priced in the same ballpark (about $25k-$28k). Is it crazy to even consider the 2014 SE for that coin? View attachment 403847
So it has been ~3 days. Have you decided to pull the trigger on this purchase? If so, what kind of deal did you get?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've always thought I wanted a 1G RL, but I see at that price point there are many 2G RLs priced in the same ballpark (about $25k-$28k).
At the price point you mention, NEW 2019 Ridgelines are not out of reach, although I imagine stocks are dwindling fast!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts