Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice that as you grab the wheel, turn, etc you get a "creeking" noise out of the wheel itself. It is not out of the dask, or even down in the steering column, but right in the steering wheel (top) area...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
Anyone notice that as you grab the wheel, turn, etc you get a "creeking" noise out of the wheel itself. It is not out of the dask, or even down in the steering column, but right in the steering wheel (top) area...
Yes, same happens for me. It happens when I put any forward pressure on the wheel, not from just turning it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, forward pressure, or any fairly mild pressure in fact. No other Honda steering wheel does this....

Anyone else notice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
yeah mine does the same thing and its driving me nutz...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
k , infiltrated the local dealership again un-noticed ;) and all 4 open ridgelines have this, and from all different types of interiors :(

now to determine whats doing it :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good job, I wondered if different models or trims might exhibit the same thing...apparently so far, this is a consistant problem in all units....bought or on the lot.

I have mine in tomorrow for the day to figure this one out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Yeah.............

I've just turned 2000 miles, and my steering wheel is creeking like mad.


Oh, and by the way.................no way can you fit 3 sets of golf clubs in the back trunk. Maybe if they were all in sunday shag bags, but not regular size bags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you guys are like me, I have mine back in the dealer right away to have this fixed! If we don't it might take a while to get this fixed....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
I hope you guys are like me, I have mine back in the dealer right away to have this fixed! If we don't it might take a while to get this fixed....
I got a detailed description of what's going on but honestly can't quite remember it but something like a bolt barely rubbing on some trim or shim or something like that. The end result is given enough time it will go away as it wears down or the dealer can fix it by tearing down the steering wheel assembly. Myself, I'm going to give it a few months as I'd rather have it wear in than the whole thing broken down and re-assebled, your choice. My '05 Ody did almost the same thing, different cause, but it went away after a month of driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Guess I've just been fortunate so far and no noises or problems encountered. Have 525 miles and only thing is the security sensor light is off centered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A new steering wheel is on order, this way at least they are just replacing the wheel as opposed to tearing down the existing and reassembling it. This seems the best course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't get used to it, get it replaced. Your tech can simply call the Honda tech line and they will tell them to replace it! It is just the wheel itself and should not be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
Don't get used to it, get it replaced. Your tech can simply call the Honda tech line and they will tell them to replace it! It is just the wheel itself and should not be a problem.
Different schools of thought. I'd much rather have it wear down and be gone than those guys tear down or replace my wheel. Can you tell I trust mechanics about as far as I can throw them ? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, its just the top part of the wheel itself, not the entire assembly...But I guess IF it actually disappears then I suppose in the end all is well. Honestly sometimes it is quiet and then other days it is creeking all over the place, it appears to be sensitive to heat and cold (expansion). It may not ever fully go away...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Heinrich said:
LOL, its just the top part of the wheel itself, not the entire assembly...But I guess IF it actually disappears then I suppose in the end all is well. Honestly sometimes it is quiet and then other days it is creeking all over the place, it appears to be sensitive to heat and cold (expansion). It may not ever fully go away...
True, I had assumed the worst but if that's the case I'm not so quesy about just the top cover. Mine really isn't so bad hardly notice it over my wind noise :)
 
1 - 20 of 407 Posts
Top