Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts
That tire looks interesting, @Ridgey Didge. I suppose Michelin is playing the name game, to steal a few sales from the Continental Cross Contact. It also looks a bit like the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Tripe treads = noise. I have some Firestones A/S on my Accord and they are downright noisy that started at about 20k into them. Seems like the tread designs that are like little islands are less prone to noise.. I read that the Michelins are great and pricey so hopefully they won't be noisy.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The Mich CrossClimate tested very well in the Dec '19 issue of CR. The Conti PureContact and Goodyear Assurance did well also......low noise. The older the tire gets, the noisier and harsher the ride gets.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After reading all the glowing reviews, and checking the spec chart that showed tremendously improved load rating in the 265/60/18 size for virtually identical weight as the stock Firestones, with only 3% speedo error, I couldn't wait until I actually 'needed' new tires.... Have had these on my 2020 RTL-E for two or three months now, and absolutely love them. Wet weather traction has always been my absolute highest priority for a tire, and this tire is phenomenal in the rain.... Dry traction is quite good as well; taking corners at speeds that would typically have gotten a little 'chirp' from the stock Firestones does not make any noise on these tires. I haven't had the opportunity to really put them to the test in mud and sand, but I am quite certain they will be VERY good- for a 'street' tire, without the tremendous weight and street performance penalty incurred by any all terrain or mud tire- due to the open chevron tread design (especially when aired down- which the slightly greater sidewall height and much greater load rating make me more likely to do).

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
I put them on last week (Michelin CrossClimate SUV). The noise is barely perceptible if you can even tell. The tread is a bit more aggressive so you "feel" the road feedback a little bit more, but not enough to change the ride dramatically. They aren't as spongy as the Firestones. I am OCD with noise and change and I hesitated so long to take the plunge. Finally afterward, I have zero regrets.

What mostly convinced me of the tire was the 3-Peak Snowflake Rating and are rated well in all conditions. Now that I have witnessed that they are quiet, I'm happy and they look better than the Firestones did, too. The Michelin CrossClimate SUV is a pretty good pick.

First light snow in Boston, so it dried dirty in the car port.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,753 Posts
Put them on mine last week. The noise is barely perceptible if you can even tell. The tread is a bit more aggressive so you "feel" the road feedback a little bit more. I am OCD with noise and change and I hesitated so long to the plunge, finally afterward, I have zero regrets. Plus they look good on the truck.

I think if I had to watch ONE thing about these tires is, There always seems to a stone or two in the treads, I have to imagine that they will kick them up on the highway.

What mostly convinced me of the tire was the 3-Peak Snowflake Rating and are rated well in all conditions. And now that I have witnessed that they are quiet I'm happy. It's a good pick.
What tire did you replace? The OEM Firestones?

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
It's the thread title "Michelin CrossClimate SUV" 245/60R18, I added it to the post.
  • Approximately: $829US from Costco using the current rebate (plus taxes and other fees). but they do not do alignments.
  • Approximately: $951US from Town Fair Tire (plus taxes and other fees) $1112 total with a 4 wheel alignment, balance, discard, valve reconditioning, (all of the scammy add-ons.. but certainly better than Costco's boobs I had to deal with).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update regarding these tires. I have about 7,000-8,000 miles on them. I drive right at 50,000 a year. They are still very good with no noise. As of right now I would repurchase them. They probably will not last as long as the Defender but they grip well and the drive in the rain is amazing. I also received a lot of “Hey, what are those?” at the gas pumps.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,753 Posts
It's the thread title "Michelin CrossClimate SUV" 245/60R18, I added it to the post.
* Approximately: $830US from Costco using the current rebate (plus taxes and other fees). but they do not do alignments.

* Approximately: $915US from Town Fair Tire (plus taxes and other fees) with a 4 wheel alignment.
Sorry not what I was asking . . .You say the CrossClimates are quiet. I am wondering what your PREVIOUS tires were as I would think the noise level you report for the new Michelins is relative to what you used to have for tires. Thanks!
EDIT: I see now that you mentioned Firestones in your post. So the CrossClimates are quieter / as quiet as the OEM Firestones? I ran set of Firestone LE2s on my previous 06 Ridgeline and they were very quiet tires. . .If I didn't have a low mileage set of Mich Defenders already, I would definitely consider the CrossClimates for their all weather performance. . .

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Tire Rack only test tires they sell so the results are not wholly objective. I would like to see Nokians included in the Tire Rack testing.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Tire Rack only test tires they sell so the results are not wholly objective. I would like to see Nokians included in the Tire Rack testing.
I'm sure you're right. Can be a decent source for data if in fact they have the items needing research.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
769 Posts
Sorry not what I was asking . . .You say the CrossClimates are quiet. I am wondering what your PREVIOUS tires were as I would think the noise level you report for the new Michelins is relative to what you used to have for tires.
Ah, I see. Yeah replacing the OEM Firestone Destinations. I've always liked the ride and low noise of the truck , so I didn't really want to give up anything with different tires. But I never liked the Firestones in hard packed pavement snow. It's not really their purpose. I wanted to maintain the ride quality the best I could and still get a 3-Peak Snowflake rating. These are it, they don't change the characteristic of the ride and noise, but look a "little" better...imho.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,343 Posts
The Michelin Cross Climate SUV tires are true all season tires. They have the A traction and tread wear rating as well as the 3 snowflake rating for winter. Might be my next tire.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Was looking at getting these, the new version is out, the CrossClimate2, which is now rated 105V instead of 105H on the old CrossClimate, and the treadwear went up to 640 vs 580 previously. I talked to the Honda dealer, and he said he could get Michelins, and Defender, Primacy, and several others were on the recommended list from Honda, but the CrossClimate was not listed as a recommended tire for the Ridgeline. I find that odd, maybe because Honda wants to only recommend tires with the load/speed rating of 105H? Regardless, I will buy them, it will just be thru an independent shop instead of my price-matching dealership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts