Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2014 Ridgeline SE and I would like to install a set of JL C2 650's in the front. How is the crossover handled by the factor head unit? Should/Can I use the JL crossover or do I need only replace the speakers and call it a day?
Thanks

·
Administrator
20,683 Posts
How is the crossover handled by the factor head unit?
It isn't. Like most "non-premium" factory systems, the same signal is sent to all front speakers (door and dash). The tweeters have a capacitor to filter out low frequencies. Unlike traditional, passive crossover networks, there is no inductor on the door speakers to filter out the highs - they simply don't reproduce high frequencies.

The Ridgeline's head unit has 5 outputs: front left, front right, rear left, rear right, and subwoofer. The first four are full-range. The subwoofer output is the only one that has any equalization - the highs are filtered out.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Just got a 2014 Ridgeline SE and I would like to install a set of JL C2 650's in the front. How is the crossover handled by the factor head unit? Should/Can I use the JL crossover or do I need only replace the speakers and call it a day?
Thanks
Short answer is YES, use the JL xovers as they *should* account for the characteristics of the JL drivers. Longer answer is full range voltage is present at end of factory wiring to each driver location. So you are left with a couple wiring options, depending on where you mount the tweets. Have you figured out that part yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am expecting to put the JL tweets in the dash right where the factory tweets are located. As such, i guess the question is where to locate the crossover. If I put them in the doors, then i need to run new wires from the doors to tweets in the dash. If I put the xovers in the dash (assuming they would fit) then I would need to run new wires from the dash to the JL woofs in the doors. Right?
If the head has only 4 full range outputs (forget the sub for the moment) but 6 speakers - front tweets & woofs, rear coax - how is it currently wired? Do the front tweets & woofs share an output?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I am expecting to put the JL tweets in the dash right where the factory tweets are located. As such, i guess the question is where to locate the crossover. If I put them in the doors, then i need to run new wires from the doors to tweets in the dash. If I put the xovers in the dash (assuming they would fit) then I would need to run new wires from the dash to the JL woofs in the doors. Right?
If the head has only 4 full range outputs (forget the sub for the moment) but 6 speakers - front tweets & woofs, rear coax - how is it currently wired? Do the front tweets & woofs share an output?
Yep, they sure do. Having never dissected the harness, I suspect the wires feeding the factory tweets "T's" into the wire headed to the door. The factory tweet has a crappy electrolytic capacitor built into the frame, so that's where the 6db highpass occurs. Judging only by images, the JL xover looks like it has a fairly large foot print so you may need to hunt for a spot inside the cab. The space behind the center console between the driver/passenger foot well might accommodate them. One thing for sure, fishing wires thru the factory door umbilical is no fun but it can be done. Unless you can do a fair job of sealing the xovers, I'd stay away from putting them in the doors.

If you aren't too concerned about feeding the woofs with factory wires, I'd just leave them in place, stick the xovers in the cab, feed them directly from your amp/HU, connect the low end to factory wires and run fresh to the tweets.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts