Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an RTL-E and when using cruise control on slightly rolling interstate roads the speed will vary 4 mph (66 to 70 mph). Is this normal? I have never had a car that varies that much.

·
Registered
566 Posts
that's what i get too, +-2 MPH from where i set cruise when going over hills.. little more than i would expect, my theory is that my previous vehicles probably also varied this much i just didn't notice because i didn't have a digital MPH indicator.

the cars behind me do tend to gain a little on me when going up a hill..

Reactions: ncbryan

·
Registered
566 Posts
It still does it with eco mode OFF, i go up and down 2 hills on the way to work and 2 on the way back every day so i've noticed it for a while but its not a big deal, my RL usually kicks a gear and gets me back to speed going up but then when i reach the peak and start to go down the hill i gain 1-2 over my cruise speed too so its not very fast to react lol

·
Registered
547 Posts
Plus or minus two miles per hour is really nothing if you ask me, the more exact it is the more breaking and excellerating the vehicle has to do resulting in worse gas mileage and wear and tear on the breaks. I would want a bigger swing, which is why I never use the cruise control.

I find it frustrating when cc in any vehicle starts breaking on a down hill when it can coast and save on gas/ breaks.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,265 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eco mode does not make a difference.
Hey Bockstar, I have a 13 JK and it only varies 2 mph (lucky I guess)
Thanks for the responses!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not related but a funny story. When I was in college I was tired and driving home late at night with cruise control on. I got pulled over for speeding and when he asked how fast I was going I honestly told him that I assumed the speed limit because it was on cruise control so I wasn't paying attention to speed.

So I take it to a place to get it checked out and sure enough the speedometer was seven miles per hour off and the cruise control slow went higher and higher as you traveled. I had them fix it for what was a fortune to a college student.

I went to court on my speeding ticket and showed the judge the invoice and the statement from the shop that fixed it. He put on his glasses and read trough it and then looking at me over his glasses said, "wow they really stuck it to you with those costs didn't they? But unfortunately all this proves that while you didn't know you were, you were in fact speeding." He then found me guilty and levied the full fine against me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not related but a funny story. When I was in college I was tired and driving home late at night with cruise control on. I got pulled over for speeding and when he asked how fast I was going I honestly told him that I assumed the speed limit because it was on cruise control so I wasn't paying attention to speed.

So I take it to a place to get it checked out and sure enough the speedometer was seven miles per hour off and the cruise control slow went higher and higher as you traveled. I had them fix it for what was a fortune to a college student.

I went to court on my speeding ticket and showed the judge the invoice and the statement from the shop that fixed it. He put on his glasses and read trough it and then looking at me over his glasses said, "wow they really stuck it to you with those costs didn't they? But unfortunately all this proves that while you didn't know you were, you were in fact speeding." He then found me guilty and levied the full fine against me.

You got screwed twice - people suck:|

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife's Prius cruise control stays exactly where it is set (also has a digital speedo), except downhill in the mountains when the batteries are fully charged. Then engine braking mode is required to stay near the cruise setting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I traded an old C class Mercedes for my RL and it would hold the speed up hill and down hill (would downshift to hold speed down hill) on the exact speed (digital speedo) and the speedo was also just 1mph faster than what the GPS said we were doing. I thought that was pretty impressive - those clever Germans, or was mine assebled in South Africa, cannot remember.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts

wow what a dick. he knew the speedo was off and still found you guilty...that sounds like justice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to post question this here but I have looked around all the threads and don't know where to post. Is anyone having trouble with their cruise on the G2 "surging"? It doesn't happen except in this condition - when I'm going up the road to my house which is about a 30 degree incline. For example, if I set the truck on 28mph, it will surge up to 30 then quickly drop back to 26, then surge back up to 30 and continues in the surging manner. It's not a gentle surge, but one that is rather annoying and will make your head move back and forth. I took it to the dealer today and they said it was "normal". They said it was due to the fact that it is a "drive by wire throttle". I could set the cruise on my 2006 G1 going up the same hill and it would hold rock steady. I'm not really sure I buy that as an excuse.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Sorry to post question this here but I have looked around all the threads and don't know where to post. Is anyone having trouble with their cruise on the G2 "surging"? It doesn't happen except in this condition - when I'm going up the road to my house which is about a 30 degree incline. For example, if I set the truck on 28mph, it will surge up to 30 then quickly drop back to 26, then surge back up to 30 and continues in the surging manner. It's not a gentle surge, but one that is rather annoying and will make your head move back and forth. I took it to the dealer today and they said it was "normal". They said it was due to the fact that it is a "drive by wire throttle". I could set the cruise on my 2006 G1 going up the same hill and it would hold rock steady. I'm not really sure I buy that as an excuse.
30 degrees? That is awful steep...doesnt sound right. I have 25 degree slopes in my yard that I had to put ag bar tires on my lawn tractor and fill the tires with washer fluid just to climb up them (15 degrees is max recommended by the mfr).

Anyway, is your truck in Eco mode? Maybe try it in mud mode and see what happens?

·
Registered
25 Posts
30 degrees? That is awful steep...doesnt sound right. I have 25 degree slopes in my yard that I had to put ag bar tires on my lawn tractor and fill the tires with washer fluid just to climb up them (15 degrees is max recommended by the mfr).

Anyway, is your truck in Eco mode? Maybe try it in mud mode and see what happens?
Not sure if 30 degree slope is accurate but I now the hill is about 4 tenths of a mile long and very steep. In nice weather I walk up the hill for exercise and it's a heck of a workout. I did take it out of eco mode and try mud mode. I do know their is another G2 in the neighborhood so I plan to go meet this person and ask if their's is doing the same thing.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The RL cruise control is not precise like other vehicles I have owned/experienced. The complaints of surging and variations are unfortunately the way Honda built it and believe me I am a cruise control addict and have been so since the late 70's. Now some of you are going to want to know what am I comparing to. I change cars every 3 years, and my wife every 4. I travelled on business dozens of times a year for about 25 years which implied a rental so yes I can relate to what the norm is and the RL misses the mark substantially, in fact it is the most inconsistant I have ever tried. The other issue is the smart cruise feature which is unacceptable, brakes much too violently not to mention accelerates much to slowly compared to 4 other vehicles I have owned which work much better in comparison. A real thorn in an other wise great all around design.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2018 RTL-E is usually spot on or usually 1-2 mph under as the ACC slowly figures out the following distance to the vehicle in front of me. Comparing this system to the cruise in my traded in 15 Ody EX-L, I'd have to say the Odyssey had the most accurate and responsive system I've ever owned. My minivan didn't have adaptive cruise control, just the standard version. I do like that one tap of the + or - will adjust your speed by 1 mph accordingly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts