Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when using the cruise control accelerator button on the steering wheel, i notice the acceleration is not gradual but is quite abrupt. the engine revs up
to about 3000 rpm to accelerate. is this typical for yall's rl?

·
Registered
169 Posts
jeffiam said:
when using the cruise control accelerator button on the steering wheel, i notice the acceleration is not gradual but is quite abrupt. the engine revs up
to about 3000 rpm to accelerate. is this typical for yall's rl?
I noticed the same thing, when you hit accelerate it goes all out! I've only tried the CC once but if you're cruising along and just want to maintain that speed is there away to do that without hitting the accel button?

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
I kinda wish they had RPM control instead of speed, then there wouldn't be the sudden burst of RPM's when going up and over normal hills on the highway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I find that if you only tap the accel button 3 times (3miles increase) at a time it does not RPM up to incrrease speed. If you hold it or hit it more than 3 times then it will go to about 3k RPMs. So I hit it 3 times once at that speed then I'll tap it 3 more and so forth.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I've found this cruise control to be very accelerator-happy. It wants to downshift at the first sensing of load. I can do a better job keeping the speed and rpm's steady with my right foot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just attributed this to the tranny being a 5 speed and when it's in 5th, it's going to downshift to 3rd and get more in the mid-upper rpm range to produce enough torque to accelerate. Or that's what I have noticed happening looking at the tach when it does this. It certainly isn't passive with its' decision though, I'll agree with ya on that one!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I call it the hyperspace button, depress it and the talk button and say " COMPUTER WARP 8..ENGAGE"

(computer reply) " The time is 2:34 PM " :eek:

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm a little disappointed at how the RL downshifts so quickly when in 5th gear. It absolutely will not accelerate in 5th, always downshifting to 3rd or 4th as necessary. The cruise works great on a flat, level highway but will downshift on the slightest hill. I attribute it to the 6 cylinder engine coupled with the heavy load of 4000+ lbs.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I can keep it in fifth a lot longer with my right foot than with the cruise.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Agreed, Shovelhead. When approaching the bigger hills on a highway it's best to turn off the cruise control and take it manually, unless you like the rocketblast feeling to get to the top. That can be dangerous, though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It is a Kansas Cruise Control, works well on flat level ground only. Yes the surging is a pain.

I find no acceleration when engaging. I bring the car up to the speed I desire hit set ( the lower button not accel the top one) the control will smoothly capture and hold that speed if you are on level ground. I even noted that it surges on decents, it decelerates, kicks in and accelerates then cycles again. On my Accord I almost alway drove with cruise control, feet flat on the floor it would accelerate and decelerate smoothly. Not so with the Ridgeline.

I would be much happier as well if they would have used the same transmission control as on the Accura line where you could select and hold any gear you desire like a manual trans. This would include 4th, not a posibility for us. It is a computer controlled transmission, I do not know why it could not be retrofitted.
There are certain hills that are a pain when the transmission is hunting and 3rd is to low.

Steve

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
exactly steve. our accord adjusts smoothly to inclines, declines, reclines, whatever.....smooth cruise acceleration via steering wheel button............kinda dissapointed. i would expect more out of the ridge. :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
What's cruise control?? I can tell you guys live in sparsely populated areas. The NY/NJ area is useless for using cruise control. As soon as you engage it you have to brake because of the congestion. If I ever use it I'll let you know. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
jeffiam said:
exactly steve. our accord adjusts smoothly to inclines, declines, reclines, whatever.....smooth cruise acceleration via steering wheel button............kinda dissapointed. i would expect more out of the ridge. :(
Probably because the Accord's engine is better suited to handle the weight of the car. The Accord weighs at least 1000lbs less than the RL although engine power is not that different (at least based on the rated HP). We own both vehicles. The Accord's engine takes everything in stride. The RL's engine has to work a little harder to get similar results. Of course. try to haul a sheet of wallboard in an Accord (or almost anything else, for that matter).

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You might be able to keep the RPMs the same manually over cruise, but you won't keep your speed constant. This may be OK for smaller hills, but you'll eventually have to kick down a gear with manual control as well if the hill is long enough.

The downshifting is so smooth, I don't really notice when it does downshift. I also notice that when pressing resume after having to tap off the cruise, the gas pedal doesn't move out from under my foot like my old truck did.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with "denvrfan" ......power to weight ratio is just not the same. My Ody had the same condition as my Ridge.

Did a speedo check against GPS today. First Honda vehicle that I have ever owned that was this accurate.....any vehicle actualy.

Cruise set @ 120 kph.......GPS reading 121 kph Pretty much dead nuts perahps faster than reading .......... for those that sit just below speed limit.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I noticed that too. It's incredibly accurate. My Ford was 6mph fast.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
gormleyflyer2002 said:
I agree with "denvrfan" ......power to weight ratio is just not the same. My Ody had the same condition as my Ridge.

Did a speedo check against GPS today. First Honda vehicle that I have ever owned that was this accurate.....any vehicle actualy.

Cruise set @ 120 kph.......GPS reading 121 kph Pretty much dead nuts perahps faster than reading .......... for those that sit just below speed limit.
Good idea! I need to check mine too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My Accord's engine even goes so far as to shut down 3 cylinders while cruising at a (more or less) constant speed :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts