Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone
I love the Cubby Cover but cant really afford to buy one. Where i work i have all the material and machines to have this done myself at no cost. I was wondering if someone could help me get some kind of blueprint or measurements of what the material would need to be cut to. I tryed to do this with a piece of cardboard to make a cut out but i am not good at these things. Please help i am not trying to make money and sell these. I just want one for my baby :)) and simply cant afford to buy one.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Welcome to the ROC!

It's not really that complicated. One flat plate, w/ two hinges under the vents.

This post is a little weak sauce b/c if you're trying to make one on the cheap you should take the time to figure it out. That is part of the savings.
The reason why Ron sells them is b/c he took the time to figure it out, and has mastered the idea.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't know Ron but I doubt his cubby cover business is a huge money making venture and he'd be happy to share some info with you.

edit - on second thought I can't believe that someone who runs CNC/milling machines can't figure this out on their own.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I don't have any access to that kind of machine shop, not without it costing me a lot more than what Ron could do the same job for.
But I think I could put together something fairly decent that would work. It would never look as good as a finished product and likely be wood, not aluminum, but still fully functional.

In all fairness the OP never said he 'runs' a CNC mill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off i already went to Ron, he quickly responded to me on prices and everything. But i did not realize they were that expensive. So then i tried to ask for some kind of measuremts or template to go by but i cant get an answer. Thats why i made it clear i am just trying to make one for myself. No matter how easy you say it is it really isnt for me. And i did my research and came up with nothing so i dont need your explanation of how simple it is. That is worthless to me. At my place of work i run the shipping department. So yes i have people who will do it for me and material i could use. I just need to give them specifics. Just figured id try and get some help on here but guess not

·
Registered
531 Posts
I do not believe Ron makes any money doing these things, I believe he does it because he loves to do it. His product is fantastic and well worth the money spent. I would advise to save up the money and buy his craft, you will not regret it!!!!:act035:

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
This blows my mind.

1. Get a measuring tape
2. Mark a vertical line 1/2" on the right side of the opening top to bottom.
3. Now put the end of the measuring tape on the top left side of the cubby measure/record the distance to the vertical line made in step 2.
4. Repeat step 3 but from the bottom left side of the cover
5. Now you know how long to make the plate, and what the angle on the left side is.
6. Now cut that plate
7. Now buy some hinges
8. Now figure out the hinges reveal... (usually on the package they came) so you know how far down to mount them on the cover. Some even come with a template.
9. make some marks on the cover in the vicinity of the two vents above
10 mark the plate with the hinges mounting holes after you have placed them on the cover properly
11. get them drilled and tapped
12 Also trace the hinge mounting area to make some backer plates to screw the other side of the hinges into
13. find Ron's instructions on the forum
14. And wah lah you made the cubby cover

I could walk outside and measure mine, but I would get these exact same measurements. I could tell you where my hinges are mounted, but there is a good chance you will not buy the exact same hinges Ron uses, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Pick up some 1/8" luan for $10, and a 19.99 jig saw and make a few trial runs if you want to be sure. There is no way around it, if you want to do it yourself it will take some of your time.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Alternatively, take ebrit003's instructions and take your measurements to one of the machinists at your shop. Don't forget to factor in the cost of materials. In time and labor, and materials, assuming you would have to pay for all that, I would not be surprised if Ron's offer does not seem like such a bad deal after all.
i suspect the machinist will have some questions for you regarding some details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys i appreciate it
And no i dont have to pay for anything other then hinges if i do it this way
Perks of having friends in the machine shop that i ship for
Ill defiantly will show how it comes out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts