Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally occurred to me a stain at the bottom of my cupholder is as permanent as a tattoo that will never come out.
IMG_3147.JPG
It got there when I unpackaged a fragrance wafer at the carwash and dropped it in the cupholder where it later mixed with some spilled coffee. The next day, when both had dried out, the wafer may as well have been epoxied to the plastic. After chiseling and scraping off what I could, nothing would touch the ink stain left behind. Nothing. IMG_3274.jpg
Now 5 years later, I realize I never needed a stain remover, but a liner instead. Duh!! Solved the problem with a piece of leftover vinyl stair tread I used a while back on a project to dress up the center console. IMG_3296.jpg
Traced a flared juice glass that matched the circumference of the cupholders and cut the vinyl to a perfect fit. IMG_3276.jpg
Happy with the results, but I still want that f___in’ tattoo gone; bugs the sh_t out of me, cuz I know it’s still hiding there. Any ideas? IMG_3288.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
That would bug me too.. maybe lighter fluid or WD-40?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
I've had some luck with "Goof Off", but it could damage the plastic, I wouldn't leave it on long, and they have a "stain suggestion tool" I'd guess that's a combination of coffee and ink. Then again, what's bothering me more is the lines (on the piece you cut) are not going the same directions as those on the "lid" that you built

Goof Off

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had some luck with "Goof Off", but it could damage the plastic, I wouldn't leave it on long, and they have a "stain suggestion tool" I'd guess that's a combination of coffee and ink. Then again, what's bothering me more is the lines (on the piece you cut) are not going the same directions as those on the "lid" that you built

Goof Off
Will give Goof Off a shot. Didn't notice the line direction till you mentioned it. How's this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most excellent tracing and cutting. Tight fit.
After all the time spent trying to pry it up, who knew a 15 minute fix was all it might take. I'm into epiphanies, but not the kind that take 5 years to conjure.

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
Will give Goof Off a shot. Didn't notice the line direction till you mentioned it. How's this?
Much better ;)

If it was me, and I was going to try Goof Off on that plastic, I'd try it on the inside of the console, and your warned, be ready to ventilate the vehicle for hours, maybe days, and it can take over the garage smell for a while. Windy Day, Doors open, Windows down, and don't spill on anything that can't be removed, seats, carpet.

Reactions: Nervey

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Much better ;)

If it was me, and I was going to try Goof Off on that plastic, I'd try it on the inside of the console, and your warned, be ready to ventilate the vehicle for hours, maybe days, and it can take over the garage smell for a while. Windy Day, Doors open, Windows down, and don't spill on anything that can't be removed, seats, carpet.
Sound advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Turtle wax makes a sticker remover, I used it to remove heavy Sharpie marker form the back of a Nissan Quest it took a little effort it ran off like mud.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nice work.

You came up with a solution that looks great. Personally, I wouldn't invest any more time trying to get rid of that tat. Life's too short.

Reactions: ridged

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turtle wax makes a sticker remover, I used it to remove heavy Sharpie marker form the back of a Nissan Quest it took a little effort it ran off like mud.
Sounds like I need some sticker removingTurtle Wax. More sound advice. Thx.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts
Yep, take that advice.. BTW, the cupholder insert and wood trim piece look great!

Reactions: Carsmak

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, take that advice.. BTW, the cupholder insert and wood trim piece look great!
I am done over-thinking it. By now, had I refocused the energy, there's a good chance I might have nailed down the origin of the universe.:grin:

·
Super Moderator
7,262 Posts
Well, news2u

If you return to this problem, you could always take the center console out and head over to "LINE-X". ;)

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, news2u

If you return to this problem, you could always take the center console out and head over to "LINE-X". ;)
My mind had already wandered in that direction, believe it or not. But I really do think it's time to move on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts