Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2020 RTL-E black on black. I purchased this truck new summer of 2020. I found an underwhelming amount of options out there for accessories on the Ridgeline. Most companies who have good products monopolize on the fact and charge way more then necessary (in my opinion of course). There were two things I knew I wanted for my truck for general use. The main one being a bed rack and the second a method to mount my bicycle in the bed so it could be locked down and carried securely over rough terrain. For the bicycle mount I found this as a design to model after: Honda Ridgeline Track System. I purchased their fork mount to use on my custom built variation: LoBall

I decided to start with the bed rack since that would be used the most. I needed something that would work for my rooftop tent as well as other things I carry up there. I found these rack towers as a starting point No Weld Trailer Rack Towers - Compact Camping Trailers. I found some images of other Ridgeline owners using these to make a bed rack. I liked this idea, and being able to use the pre-drilled mounting holes under the bed rails was a big plus for ease of attaching to the truck. Going off the suggestion of others my first iteration of this build I used 1-1/2" angle iron on the bed rail caps connecting to the towers, then to 2"X1" steel stock for the cross bars. I have a fear of rust, so I scraped the idea of using the 2X1 stock in its place I used zinc coated Unistrut. The stuff I found at my local hardware store was the slotted 1-5/8". P1000T | Unistrut. At 60" long each cross bar should be able to hold 578 pounds, according to Unistrut's website, which is way more then enough strength for my purposes.

I still used the angle iron at first, since I coated it with truck bed liner paint. Here are pics after painting everything.

After having the angle iron on the truck for less than two weeks I noticed rust coming through the truck bed liner paint. I decided that was the end of the angle iron. I looked around for other options where the metal would be zinc coated or even using stainless steel. This was a hard task keeping a budget in mind. I ended up using more of the same Unistrut that I used for the cross bars.

To attach the towers to the strut channel on the bed rail caps I used 90 degree angle pieces sold by Unistrut, found at my local hardware store. P1068 | Unistrut. These were also zinc coated so they should not rust, but I painted everything with black paint for a uniform look. Then I found strut nuts that I used with similar hardware used for the rest of the rack and attached the rack to the rails. Also seen in the pictures with my tent on the rack, are the accessory rails I was able to mount to the rack towers. I use these to carry extra gear like fuel, water, recovery boards, etc. Those accessory rails are attached using more Unistrut pieces (P1066 | Unistrut) on the backside of the towers and using more strut nuts to hold them in place. On the front and rear of the accessory rails I placed 75 degree angles (P1186, P2105 thru P2110 | Unistrut), with ~8" pieces of Unistrut channel placed on top of them. This is to mount my bike fork mounts on, so when the tent is mount I can still carry two full size bikes on either side.

Now for my bicycle mount when my rack is not mounted, I used Unistrut channel for this (the same stuff I used throughout the rack build). I capped off the ends and used square channel washers on top of the cleats with similar hardware as the rest of my bed rack (bolts with channel nuts). I keep this piece of strut connected to my truck at all times as it does not hinder the use of the bed much, in fact it provides more tie down points I can use.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts