Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve actually been reading my manual and the more I read the more unsure I am about getting new 20” rims and tires. The manual talks about improper tires and rims affecting the VTM-4, ABS and VSA Systems. Are these trucks so advanced that tire/wheel change could impact these systems in an emergency situation causing them to fail or overcompensate? Have any of our fellow members with 20” tires had them on long enough to find out if these systems are adversely affected, even if you stay within the same overall tire dimensions, or is this just another corporate out should something go wrong? Any comments out there fellow members? :confused: Still on the fence!

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you keep the same outside diameter then I'm sure you won't have any problems. There might be a +/- factor so you could vary a little and still be OK with all the driver aids.

IMO, this truck drives very nice with current tire size, I would hate to comprimize this with low profile 20" tire. Your tires have the greatest affect on ride quality/performance for any car..racing or luxury.

Cool factor has a price.....??......everybody has different needs, I figure Honda know what there doing, best not to mess with anything considered unsprung weight.........you know, like having a live axle....lol,,,,teh he.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here are my personal thought on rims (nothing personal to other members)

A bigger rim will improve the handling slightly , but IT'S STILL A HEAVY, TALL TRUCK WITH A MODERATELY SIZED MOTOR. A change in rim size won't change the laws of physics.

Sort of like putting a spoiler on the trunk of 4 banger Sentra. Everyone will be looking at you but what you don't know is that they are giggling.

If you want something to throw around the corners and have fun with, get a low CG, high performance car. And for goodness sake please don't put a lift kit on your sports car and add 35" mudders
:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Amen...hallelujah! Thanks for having the guts to say what I have always wanted to say. It always cracks me up to see a spoiler on a 98 hp car or 22" wheels on a '86 Cutlass - or a lowered S-10 that scrapes every time it pulls into a parking lot. I know people love to customize - and that's cool. But why would someone try to make a p/u into a sports car - or a sports car into an off-road vehicle, when there are so many good cars/trucks out there already made to do what your "redesigned" vehicle is trying to do? And, I would guess that the resale value has to be horrible once you've mutated it.

Anyway, I'm sure I've offended someone, but I just HAD to get it off my chest.

-Bob ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
RTL44,

On my way Sunday, I saw a truck down in Phoenix, it lookes not bad, fender flares, large tires, pretty nice wheels, but they stuck out beyond the flares. I watched as he turned the corner, and saw the tires come with in 1" of the flares, and this was at low speed on flat road. I laughed and thought, to myself, one pot hole at speed, and the flares are gone, or they tire are. Tire rub takes out more race cars than other other single thing I think, so why increase the chance, if you need to customize, think it through....

RTL44 said:
Amen...hallelujah! Thanks for having the guts to say what I have always wanted to say. It always cracks me up to see a spoiler on a 98 hp car or 22" wheels on a '86 Cutlass - or a lowered S-10 that scrapes every time it pulls into a parking lot. I know people love to customize - and that's cool. But why would someone try to make a p/u into a sports car - or a sports car into an off-road vehicle, when there are so many good cars/trucks out there already made to do what your "redesigned" vehicle is trying to do? And, I would guess that the resale value has to be horrible once you've mutated it.

Anyway, I'm sure I've offended someone, but I just HAD to get it off my chest.

-Bob ;)

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Another factor to consider is tire width and bearing load. Larger wheels with lower profile tires usually mean a wider footprint. Even if the offset is adjusted, there is still a longer moment arm (lever) in one direction or another so that the wheels clear the wells and brakes. This can load the wheel bearings more than stock. I've seen premature bearing failure on trucks with larger wheels (mostly mudders). At least it's part of the equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts