Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to change out all the rubber CV boots without pulling axles??
Saw an ad from an Italian company that has boots that glue together after they are put on. Not sure if there is a way around this problem. 260k miles. need to stop leaking

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have seen boots that bolt together but mostly on old vws. Dont think they make them for the ridge, or if there is enough clearance. You would probably need to remove the axles anyways to measure.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Companies make the clam-shell, glue together types, but I have not seen any listed for Ridgeline. It never occurred to me whether the axle ends might be the same on Pilot or Oddysey? Never checked if clam-shell boots are available for them.... you might want to check that out.

I had used these on Civics in the past & they worked just fine. This presumes of course that you still have good joints, & clean/grease them well before putting the new boots on.

I just ordered new OEM boots/clamps for mine (outer only), even though I've already got 160K miles on our '06. But it's been mostly easy street miles & no towing. A lot of it straight highway miles, so I'm thinking my joints are still good for a long while. We'll see.

You DO have to pull the axles to install new boots. But my boots are just seeping at the boots where they clamp to the axles, and I just want to get that stopped. It makes a bit of a mess, even though the 'slinging' is just in small amounts.

The prudent approach might be to just replace the axles.... but knowing you can get a bad one now & then with aftermarket, and comparing the cost of boots only to OEM axles, I opted to just get the boots. (inners are not leaking & all of them look good except for the seeping)

I'm guessing other harsher-weather locations probably don't fare so well.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
The boots on our 03 CRV are pretty shot.. about the only thing that is...except maybe the original struts.
If I DIY the half shafts a total kit including the shaft and boot is less than $60, per side of course.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,586 Posts
Is there any way to change out all the rubber CV boots without pulling axles??
Saw an ad from an Italian company that has boots that glue together after they are put on. Not sure if there is a way around this problem. 260k miles. need to stop leaking
CVs don't typically fail catastrophically so if you can find cheap split boots to fit you can give it a try without too much worry (unless you are going on a real long trip or something) That said, IMHO with 260K miles you are wasting your time trying to find / install split boots on your Ridge. Split boots are iffy at best.

IMHO you also would be wasting your time pulling your axles and installing new boots on them the "correct way." Lots of work and you are repairing something likely on its last legs.

That leaves replacing both axle sets as your best (again IMHO) repair option. My 06 has lived a hard life and was ready for new CVs at 110k miles. I did the job myself with OEM axles and wasn't too bad. I did have impact tools and the helpful DIY in the "how to" section of this forum to help me out. GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I agree, if I were to dump a car within another year grab the band-aids, especially if it is an around-town beater.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
FYI, OEM "axles" can be had for just under $150 plus shipping if you shop around. Aftermarket is much less of course.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I'd look for reman OEM before anything else. I tried a cheap one 15,000 miles ago and it didnt work. Got a reman and all is fine, might cost a bit more then $150.00 they look like new and have to meet Honda specs or they change any parts out that dont. I got it from Honda so maybe you can find one (OEM) cheaper else where. My axle was fine it was the boot that cracked and lost grease wasnt worth just changin the boot. Long story short it cost me an extra $100 bucks for the mistake.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Clean it up and see where its leaking it could be a simple new clamp fix if its leaking at that point. Its very easy to see where its leaking if you doubt your dealer.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
every time I go to the dealer they tell me I have a boot leaking s bit...latest dealer scam...like the $50 cabin filter
Does not have to be scammy...Better to tell you than not...unless it is a lie...or they make a big deal that your wheels will fall off, etc. etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts