Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning, I drove by a wreck and didn't think anything about it other than the inconvenience it caused. A short while later, Mom told me that Dad had a wreck this morning and totaled his truck. It was his fault - he pulled out in front of someone. He has a heart of gold and a sharp mind, but he's not the best driver and has had a few accidents over the years where he's been at fault. Fortunately, there are no injuries, but the 2006 Silverado he bought new is finished.

It did not occur to me until later that that might have been him that I passed earlier so I reviewed my dashcam footage and sure enough - there's his truck with him standing near it. The truck is pretty generic and you never expect someone you know to be a party in an accident which is probably why I didn't realize who it was as I drove by.

He was hoping that Silverado would last him the rest of his life - and it probably would have or at least last the rest of his driving years. Mom said he'll be looking for a new truck soon, but I warned her that he's going to be in for a surprise when it comes to pricing and availability - it's been a few years since they purchased a new vehicle.

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
302 Posts
Hope all involved are doing alright (and get checked up by a doctor). I've been in 2 wrecks that totaled all vehicles (one was mostly my fault, the other I was a passenger), and the pain doesn't really set in for a few hours or even the next day...

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No kidding - I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy. Even though I'm feeling much better and haven't had fever in five days, I'm still testing positive for COVID and in quarantine. :(

Mom didn't seem too upset over Dad's wreck. I think she was glad to see the truck go - she's wanted him to have a new one for a long time, but he's very..."thrifty". :)

I remember the day he bought that truck - it had base wheels, but was otherwise well-equipped. I suspect he'll buy another Chevrolet - possibly a Colorado.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,965 Posts
There will probably be some good deals on 2022 Colorados once the new ones hit the dealerships, if he can wait that long.

Maybe you could sell him your G2 when the G3 arrives....

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,162 Posts
Glad your dad (from the wreck) and mom (from worry) are doing okay. Were there no airbags in the Chevy back then or are they just not in view?

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
302 Posts
Another good job done by a dash cam. I won't drive 1 mile without mine engaged.
I haven't been in, or really even witnessed, an accident in so many years that I'm feeling like the moment I get one, I'm going to get into a wreck. Like when I wash my car, it will rain within a day or two! 😆

... I know, I know, that's not how any of this works, and I need to get one. With the crazy driving you see in Dallas, I'm playing with fire without one 🔥

· Registered
10 Posts
Glad everyone is safe and doing ok.

Side note.. What dashcam do you use?
I purchased my 2019 BE Ridgeline because someone ran a red light and totaled my 2019 Silverado. This is the 2nd accident for me at this intersection, and just today someone ran a yield at a round about and about took my Ridgeline out. Thinking I might need one of those

· Administrator
24,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad your dad (from the wreck) and mom (from worry) are doing okay. Were there no airbags in the Chevy back then or are they just not in view?
It has frontal air bags. It is my understanding that he was traveling the same direction I was while the other truck was traveling the opposite direction. He was in the center lane waiting to turn left towards the Exxon gas station when he pulled out in front of the silver Dodge which was driven by a teacher on their way to school. It is possible the driver of the silver Dodge ran a red light and/or was speeding, but it sounds like Dad has already admitted fault whether or not he was actually at fault. The speed limit is 45 MPH in that area, but 60 MPH behind me and 55 MPH ahead of me.

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
302 Posts
The speed limit is 45 MPH in that area, but 60 MPH behind me and 55 MPH ahead of me.
Is this around US-80? I only ask because I used to frequent Longview to see my brother. The first time I thought I'd "take the scenic route", since I wasn't in a rush, and avoid I-20. I only made that mistake once. All those speed limit changes at every single town that step down in 5MPH increments started to drive me batty. I mean, obviously the speed limit can't be 70MPH and then suddenly 35, but holy moly, I swear some of those are setup just so the police can sit in the transition zone and tag people unaware 🤑

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Glad to hear he is ok and that you are on the mend as well. Hope he can find something relatively affordable as I know prices are still high. Would have thought the higher interest rates would have driven them down by now, but it doesn't appear so, at least for many makes.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E in pacific pewter metallic
2,992 Posts
I haven't been in, or really even witnessed, an accident in so many years that I'm feeling like the moment I get one, I'm going to get into a wreck. Like when I wash my car, it will rain within a day or two! 😆

... I know, I know, that's not how any of this works, and I need to get one. With the crazy driving you see in Dallas, I'm playing with fire without one 🔥
3 crashes in the last five years. Every one of them captured on my dash cam. 100 per cent the other drivers at fault and without that dash cam I would have tried to fight to keep me at no fault.

· Registered
2,323 Posts
No kidding - I'm starting to get a bit stir crazy. Even though I'm feeling much better and haven't had fever in five days, I'm still testing positive for COVID and in quarantine. :(

Mom didn't seem too upset over Dad's wreck. I think she was glad to see the truck go - she's wanted him to have a new one for a long time, but he's very..."thrifty". :)

I remember the day he bought that truck - it had base wheels, but was otherwise well-equipped. I suspect he'll buy another Chevrolet - possibly a Colorado.

View attachment 433578
Something similar happened about 15 years ago when my wife was driving along, saw a car smashed to the extent that she didn't recognize it from the front, and then noticed two teenagers standing on the sidewalk -- our own kids!

They had been hit hard - knocked across the intersection - when our 16 year old son misjudged the speed of the car he turned in front of. He and his sister had seat belt burns/bruises, but were otherwise OK, though shaken up emotionally.

I should've gone out immediately and bought another '92 Honda Accord for them to drive, as the strength of it saved my daughter's life. It was hit so hard on the right front corner that the front license plate of the car that hit them was essentially welded onto the Accord's engine block, and the roof over the passenger seat had buckled. I had driven to Nashville on business (4-5 hours) and my wife called and said "first, the kids are alright...but they were in a wreck, and you need to see the car to understand how bad it might've been", so I drove back as fast as I could and the two of us went to the tow lot to see it. When I saw the car, tears automatically popped into my eyes, understanding instinctively just how fortunate we'd been.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts