Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from a 3,300 mile road trip and did a full days detail getting all the bugs and mud off my 2018 RTL-E. Girlfriend took the shiny truck out to run errands yesterday. This morning, I noticed that my right rear tail light lens is cracked. Looks like someone took a rock and smashed it in. Thinking it happened at Costco.

So...

I've been searching for a replacement, and can find OEM for around $160 including shipping (Part Number: 33500-T6Z-A02). There are two non OEM ones by "Go-Parts" and "TYC" on Amazon for around $90 each.

Does anyone have info on the non OEM parts? Is the lens color the same? Will the plastic hold up over time? Do they fit the same?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Personally I think the aftermarket lens color match would probably be ok, but I’d be concerned about the LED brake light color match and longevity/durability.

I know the extra for the OE is not insignificant but I think I’d get it regardless.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
You have to think about it from an insurance perspective. An insurance company isn't going to allow for the replacement of both tail lights were the vehicle involved in an accident. In fact, if quality aftermarket parts are available, the insurance company insists on them (for the most part). The certified replacement tail lights must be on par with OEM. That's why they are certified.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
I second TYC. I have their Radiator, headlights and radiator fan in my G1. The quality is very good, almost as good as OEM.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My nephew backed my 2018 Sport into a small tree yesterday. Only a real small dent which will probably pop out and a chipped right taillight which will allow water to get in. I was just looking at the Honda OEM part 33500T6Z A02 but had an aftermarket pop up on Carid.com which is item # 851620847 or part #H02801195N for a lot less $$$. It says it is OEM compatible. Anyone know anything about it or if it is a decent substitution?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
My nephew backed my 2018 Sport into a small tree yesterday. Only a real small dent which will probably pop out and a chipped right taillight which will allow water to get in. I was just looking at the Honda OEM part 33500T6Z A02 but had an aftermarket pop up on Carid.com which is item # 851620847 or part #H02801195N for a lot less $$$. It says it is OEM compatible. Anyone know anything about it or if it is a decent substitution?
As mentioned above, the TYC and other "certified" replacements are the way to go and much cheaper than OEM.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The problem with the aftermarket ones I have ordered in the past is the red color is a little off. You will see the difference if you only change one of them. Replacing both is probably not your choice.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
My taillight got cracked too. OEM was a bit over $200. Really easy to replace... Just 2 screws and a few minutes. Easy peasey!

Interestingly enough, mine got cracked by a cart at COSTCO too in Austin..... The guy left a note on my windshield and has offered to pay.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,491 Posts
JMHO, If you’re going to go aftermarket, replace both list spare in Trading Post, might fix someone else’s issue. Also before ordering, maybe check Trading Post might find one already listed. If it’s an older listing, PM the poster also.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The problem with the aftermarket ones I have ordered in the past is the red color is a little off. You will see the difference if you only change one of them. Replacing both is probably not your choice.
I noted this issue previously but it appeared to fall on deaf ears...

Reactions: smufguy

·
Registered
37 Posts
These prices seem high. I had to replace a cracked rear light last year, ordered OEM light off of hondapartsnow.com, it was around $120. Very easy install, about 5 minutes

·
Registered
329 Posts
These prices seem high. I had to replace a cracked rear light last year, ordered OEM light off of hondapartsnow.com, it was around $120. Very easy install, about 5 minutes
They are asking $140.79 plus shipping now. The aftermarket assembly is $92 shipped.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Did you try a salvage yard?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts