Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that "feeling"??? Who or what is going to be or do the first real damage to your new "baby???Well, I don't have to wait any longer.
This evening after work and on my way to night school a semi truck driver decided to learn how to drive and I guess I just happened to be in his way. I was east bound sitting in a line of traffic waitting to turn left onto another street. I noticed this semi turn onto the same street as he was going west bound to merge with a major road. There is a slight "S" curve in this road but he decided to just "straighten" it out. I watched his trailer cross the center line and he didn't seem to try slowing down. I had enough room between the vehicle in front of me (an old defensive driving trick) so I turned my steering wheel hard to the right and goosed the throttle a touch and climbed the curb with both passenger side tires. I was half way on the sidewalk but he still was coming on. I heard and felt the "crunch"...His trailer caught the last 24" of my bed and crushed it down 7", breaking out the right taillight, wrapping sheet metal around to the tailgate thus damaging it also. Can't open it yet but the taillights do work. Don't know how much damage to the tonnaeu cover or bed panels. One good thing though...right behind me was the local city police cruiser waitting to turn also. Yes, I realize that I'm alright (so far) and it is only a vehicle, but it is my vehivle and it is only three months old as of today (picked it up on March 14th) and I had just gotten it set-up the way I wanted it. :(

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
I know the deal Nicholas and it sucks. Do your research on the body shops in your area. Best of luck getting your Ridgeline back into shape.

L

·
0 Posts
OMG Nick. :( Be sure you're alright first. Then worry about her. She'll be ok. You may be sore tomorrow. Kinetics will kick in after tonight. ( Sorry, that's the FireMedic in me talkin' ) Be sure to listen to your body. Call me and let me know how you are. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :)

J.C.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i feel your pain man. a month after i got my prelude, a tornado came and totalled it. if your insurance is REALLY nice, and depending on how old your truck is, they might let u get a new one, and take your current one from you. it might be a long shot, but it's worth a try

·
Registered
119 Posts
Too bad he couldn't have hit the police cruiser that was behind you... I feel your pain too, I live in fear of the day mine gets hit.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Oh Man Nicholas! Sorry to hear about your wreck. Just glad that you were able to see what was coming and get yourself out of harms way and minimize the damage. Great job! Too many people panic and freeze, hit the brakes and take what comes. The most effective defensive driving tools that we have are the the gas pedal, the steering wheel and lastly the brakes. Vehicle(s) position and maintaining an exit lane are critical. It sure seemed to have worked for you. Far too often people loose track of the two most effective tools that they have. Do you ride a motorcycle? Your discription sounds like defensive driving skills taught in the D.O.T. Motorcycle Safety Course.

I sure hope that you are feeling ok today, physically anyway. I feel your pain...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also am sorry to hear about your baby. :eek: I travel a nasty highway to and from work every day. Since my Ridgeline purchase, I am much more aware of vehicles all around me at all times. As I come up on trucks I find myself studying them for any kind of liquid, stones…coming off prior to getting too close. So far, 1 nasty stone hit the windshield hard and luckily only a small chip. I feel your pain! Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello all again...short follow-up. The truck company will make my truck "whole" with no problems promised. Tried to get an estimate but was told our vehicles aren't yet entered into the computer systems at the body shops for time repair estimates. They are still checking...The left rear quarter panel is to be replaced along with the taillight assembly, top bed rail black plastic protector and emblems on the tailgate. It doesn't look like any bed damage (was finally able to get the tonneau cover and tailgate open after beating the fender back around to the side). Not a real "happy" person here but life goes on... :(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot...UltraHOG, I used to be an instructor for the motorcycle safety foundation...does it show??? LOL

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yes, Nicholas, indeed it does! Nothing like leading by example.

Before I read you post tonight, I put in a pitch for "NOX" (Thread:"Carrying my newest toy in the bed...") to take the MSF course if he has not already done so.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a really great course if one goes into it without the attitude that you know it all. Have done it for a few years and also the "Experinced Riders Course" that you take on your own motorcycle. Very intense course...one would be surprised what one could really do on a motorctcle if they have the knowledge and confidence. Try taking a "big" motorcycle and doing a figure "8" inside a 10' by 20' box without putting your foot down...or dropping the motorcycle...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I did take the advanced class on my Harley Ultra. YIKES! Do I have to do all those scarry things on this heavy bike? Me, go over a 4 X 4 - on this thing - and you expect me to stay up - are you crazy? Before taking the basic course - absolutery no way could I have completed the program successfully, much less passed. I passed the course, had a great time, LEARNED A LOT, AGAIN! I will be re-taking the advanced course as a refresher. I never pass up the opportunity to tell someone about the course. I firmly believe that it can save your life and save your family from a world of misery. I am lucky that some of the mistakes that I was making before I took the course did not end up far more tragically than they did. It was really interesting to see a few very experienced riders laugh at the start of the course and become dead serious once they actually started to learn and do what was being taught in the classroom.

Please allow me to say a sincere thank you for those that you taught but have not seen again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my Ridgeline for almost three weeks and no problems, dings or scratches.....No complaints at all...I came home early yesterday afternoon and left with friends soon after. When my friend dropped me off (we were driving his new Acura TL) at home, it was dark and I just went straight inside. I walked out this morning to go to work and I almost passed out when I saw my baby. :eek: There was a hole in the drivers side rear door window with small cracks all over the rest of it. :( I ran over to the truck and of course when I opened the door to look inside, the tempered glass that was left in the window fell in a pile on the ground and in the back seat. I was absolutely sick. The only thing that I can figure is that my neighbor was mowing his lawn and a rock or something must have been shot into the glass. I still have not located the projectile, which I assumed would be inside since there was a hole in the center of the window before it completely shattered. I have not said anything to the neighbor and I can't prove anything since I was not home when it happened. I am pretty sure they would have told me about it if they were even aware that they did it. Anyway, doubt I will say anything to them. Now to the aggravating part. I have called every dealership and glass repair shop around and of course since the Ridgeline is so new, they do not keep the door glass in stock. Even the dealership bodyshop said they would need to order it. They told me that it could take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for the glass to come in. So now I have no choice but to leave my baby parked with plastic sheeting covering the door until the glass comes in. I can't really drive it, since the tempered glass is still falling out anytime you open the door or close it. (little pieces still in the rubber moldings). I also noticed that when the glass shattered, it made little nicks in the paint just under the window and also on the inside of the plastic door panel. Luckily the leather seems undamaged. Hopefully the nicks in the paint will buff out. I guess broken glass is better than dents and scratches, but it sure feels just as bad. I just can't wait to get back on the road in my Ridgeline.
Thanks for letting me share my story.

RidgelineLover in Bham Alabama

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
At least it's glass. My suggestion is to go with a local body shop that has a good relationship with a local Honda dealer. They'll expidite the part at no cost to you. My bumper cover only took two days to arrive at the shop because of this. Good luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry to hear both stories, I guess we all have our scars to show. Its Just worse when its brand spankin new. Both will be repaired and good as new in time so hopefully the process is as fast and painless as possible. :(

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Honda Ridgeline is still so "new" that it doesn't show on the body shop estimate sheets...but parts have been ordered, or at least I've been told that. Really not too bad...$830.03 just in parts (rear quarter panel, taillight, rear name plates and top of bed plastic strip).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got my window replaced today! Only took three days for the glass to come in.
Parts and Labor came to $251.00. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I am just glad to have my truck back. Now I need to get it detailed and see if I can get the nicks in the paint below the window buffed out or repaired somehow.
Oh, the guys at the repair shop went on and on about how sharp my Ridgeline was and that it was the first one they had seen up close.
They all loved it! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts