Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out fishing with a friend yesterday and when we came back to the ramp, as I was unloading my gear I used the auto windown down feature on the remote to get the RL cooled down a bit. By the time I got to the truck with my gear, more than 30 seconds had elapsed, so the doors had relocked.
Doing what I have done many times before with other vehicles, I reached through the open window and hit the unlock button. Wrong thing to do!
As I had not used the remote or a key to unlock the doors with the security system set, it when off. I grabbed my keys and hit the relock and unlock buttons several times to no avail. Tried the key in the door, nada. Tried starting it, nope. Finally the two minutes must have elapsed and the darn thing shut up. I won't be making that mistake again.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Webwader said:
I was out fishing with a friend yesterday and when we came back to the ramp, as I was unloading my gear I used the auto windown down feature on the remote to get the RL cooled down a bit. By the time I got to the truck with my gear, more than 30 seconds had elapsed, so the doors had relocked.
Doing what I have done many times before with other vehicles, I reached through the open window and hit the unlock button. Wrong thing to do!
As I had not used the remote or a key to unlock the doors with the security system set, it when off. I grabbed my keys and hit the relock and unlock buttons several times to no avail. Tried the key in the door, nada. Tried starting it, nope. Finally the two minutes must have elapsed and the darn thing shut up. I won't be making that mistake again.
Surprise! Damn good system! Imagine having the added protection I have on my RL and doing that same thing you did, which I have, and getting alerted on my cell phone that my trucks security system was activated? God, I love this truck!

L

·
0 Posts
Webwader said:
Been there done that too!! :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Same here. I did that in my driveway and it scared the hell out of me. I was not expecting that. Same thing happened to me with me 99 Runner Limited, but the security system on that actually pulls the interior lock tabs down and will not let you pull them up. The unlock button is deactivated and also applies power to the solenoid to force it to stay locked. I thought I was pretty cool back then. I wasn't expecting my Ridge to do that. Cool feature for sure. By the way, on a side note, have any of you noticed the small retangular light hidden in the center console on the bottom? I guess it lights up the CD's of whatever you put in there. It turns on when you turn on your driving lights. I do not recall seeing a thread on this, but in case this is old news, sorry. I thought it was interesting.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was sitting inside of my Ridge at the dealership, patiently going through The Checklist. I had set the alarm with one key and then attempted to start the truck with the spare key. Just attempting to put the other key in the ignition set off the alarm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same here. Mine was in the garage with the doors open so the alarm had a nice chance to echo throughout the neighborhood. That's "Mr. Popular with the neighbors" to you. After fumbling trying to deactivate it, I thought I did so by putting the key into the door lock. Now I'm wondering if this actually deactivated it or if I just timed out. Can anyone confirm the deactivation procedure?

L

·
0 Posts
NJDevil5 said:
Same here. Mine was in the garage with the doors open so the alarm had a nice chance to echo throughout the neighborhood. That's "Mr. Popular with the neighbors" to you. After fumbling trying to deactivate it, I thought I did so by putting the key into the door lock. Now I'm wondering if this actually deactivated it or if I just timed out. Can anyone confirm the deactivation procedure?
I just click the unlock button once, then again holding down a second or two longer then the first click. Turns off for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You said:

"I won't be making that mistake again."

To which, I say:

Hah, hah, hah, hardie, har, har...... you wanna bet????

I've done it three times in the driveway of my home. I think the neighborhood association is taking up my case at their next meeting.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Skywalker said:
I was sitting inside of my Ridge at the dealership, patiently going through The Checklist. I had set the alarm with one key and then attempted to start the truck with the spare key. Just attempting to put the other key in the ignition set off the alarm.
Was the truck in the showroom? That would just be too funny!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I thought if you held down the Panic Button on the remote, it would turn the alarm off.

I was told that the re-locking feature was an "anti-theft" device. If you are walking up to your vehicle, unlock it, are mugged (to which there is a struggle, i.e. time delay), the vehicle will relock itself to prevent the assailant from getting anything from inside your vehicle. I don't really buy this pitch as the mugger would probably just grab your keys.

I do see a benefit if you are absent minded and forgot to re-lock the vehicle after unlocking it, but if you have the key in your hand to unlock it, it would be in your hand to re-lock it. I think that as soon as any door is opened the re-locking feature is disabled.

I have noticed that the re-locking feature will work when only the trunk is opened. The doors will re-lock which I find annoying. Typically, if I am shopping without my wife and have the kid(s) with, I will pull the cart up to the trunk, unlock it (and all doors), unload the cart, close the trunk, push the cart with kid(s) still in it to a cart corral, unload kid(s), then walk back to a relocked vehicle. Hopefully I can still reach my key.

Overall, this is an annoyance I can deal with as opposed to being annoyed with my vehicle all together.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ruffles said:
Was the truck in the showroom? That would just be too funny!
It was in the garage under the showroom floor where they prep the vehicles for delivery. It probably went on for only a minute or two, but it seemed like an eternity. Finally a salesman came whipping down the stairs to calmly instruct me on how to disarm it. All the while the group of detailers stopped their work to watch the "idiot" (me) as I frantically tried useless things to get it to stop. I was one step away from popping the hood and disconnecting the battery :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did the same thing the first few days I had the truck. Recently it happened again when the guy I car pool with reach through the window to unlock the door. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing happened to me in a parking lot. I thought I would be smart and pull the fuse to the horn. It definitely silenced the vehicle. I got in and started the vehicle and decided I would drive home - WRONG. When you pull the fuse for the horn the vehicle will not go into gear, the gear selector stays locked in park. The other thing I have noticed is that the panic button is EXTREMELY touchy. I have leaned over with the keys in my front pocket and activated the panic button.

Oh well, Hertz didn't have a midsize yesterday and gave me a fully loaded 4x4 Excursion to drive. It reminded how nice it was to get rid of my '04 F150 Lariat Supercrew to get the Ridgeline. I'll take the Honda ANYDAY over a Ford.... :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts