Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Ridgeline in Dark Cherry Pearl. The finish is shiny and smooth as can be -- beautiful in the sunlight BUT I noticed in the garage at night it appears as though the dark Cherry Pearl has a bumpy/texture pattern under the clearcoat. If it were on top and I could feel it, I would refer to it as orange peal problem.

Is this a charactaristic of the "pearl"?

It is consistent over the entire vehicle so I can't imagine it is a defect but I was just wondering.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe a better question is what is the difference between metallic and pearl?

My pearl has a lot of metallic to it.

It looks great in the sunlite but under low light conditions you can see these bumps in the color under the clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Quite possibly the metallic "flakes" you are seeing. The flakes are usually aluminum or mica and the reason you see the "sparkle" in the light is the flakes are not laying in the same orientation. This is also why your truck is a different "color" depending on the angle of the light. Some could be laying flat and some could be standing up on end. This BTW is why metallic paints (and bumper covers) are so hard to match up. Could this be what you are looking at? If your clear coat is smooth you have no problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've noticed what appears to be the "orange peel" that you speak of under certain low light situations but I always just figured it was the metal flake in the paint. Never bothered me and when its all shined up in the sunlight it looks awesome. As long as the clear coat is smooth and uniform I'm happy :act029:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts