Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a front and rear dash cam in my 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E. I have a question regarding the rear camera wire. I'm planning on running the wire down the A Pillar under the door sill trim, up and under the rear door weather stripping to the C Pillar. I'm tying to determine the best method for going across the area covered by the C Pillar. I understand there's a airbag behind the trim and they also use a special fastener to hold the trim in place, so removal of the trim may be more difficult. I've seen where people of tucked the wire between the C Pillar trim and the head liner. I'm not sure if this has the potential to interfere with the airbag deployment. Has anyone removed the C Pillar trim or have a picture of the airbag behind it so I can determine if running the cable along the top of the trim would be a potential issue. Has you can see, I'm concerned with safety first and am going the extra steps to avoid any conflicts with the airbags. I'm happy to provide pictures for clarification if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Dave

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline EX-L Modern Grey Metallic
39 Posts
I think I remember reading that taking that trim piece off might require breaking the clips with a mallet and the. Replacing the clip with a new one when you reinstall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Ridgeline4Life for the drawings. From what I can tell, the airbags in that area are only the overhead curtain ones. It appears that when they're deployed, they come out between the head liner and the C Pillar Trim. I think they are using the special attachment connection on the B and C Pillars to prevent the pillar trim from becoming airborne objects when the bags are deployed. With that said, I'm just trying to confirm there are no actual airbags behind the C Pillar and if I tuck my rear camera cable down behind the C Pillar Trim and away from the head liner I should be OK.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave.

I have a 2021 RTL-E and want to add a front and rear dash cam. I'm interested to know what type you are installing, if you're willing to share. Thanks, and I appreciate your concern with safety surrounding the airbags; I might not have considered that when routing wire to the rear.

-Frank

I'm planning on installing a front and rear dash cam in my 2018 Ridgeline RTL-E. I have a question regarding the rear camera wire. I'm planning on running the wire down the A Pillar under the door sill trim, up and under the rear door weather stripping to the C Pillar. I'm tying to determine the best method for going across the area covered by the C Pillar. I understand there's a airbag behind the trim and they also use a special fastener to hold the trim in place, so removal of the trim may be more difficult. I've seen where people of tucked the wire between the C Pillar trim and the head liner. I'm not sure if this has the potential to interfere with the airbag deployment. Has anyone removed the C Pillar trim or have a picture of the airbag behind it so I can determine if running the cable along the top of the trim would be a potential issue. Has you can see, I'm concerned with safety first and am going the extra steps to avoid any conflicts with the airbags. I'm happy to provide pictures for clarification if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dave.

I have a 2021 RTL-E and want to add a front and rear dash cam. I'm interested to know what type you are installing, if you're willing to share. Thanks, and I appreciate your concern with safety surrounding the airbags; I might not have considered that when routing wire to the rear.

-Frank
I'm still doing my research on possible Dash Cams and determining the best method for installation. Once I've made more progress, I'll be happy to share my findings and installation procedure.

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
286 Posts
Hi Dave.

Just curious...
Which dash cam did you go with and how did your installation go?

I got a Viofo A129 Pro Duo during Amazon Prime days.

My install went very well. I just used the USB power adapter and opted not to hardwire, due to potential battery and/or warranty issues.

I was able to easily remove the A-pillar trim to route and zip-tie the cords away from any airbag components. All other trim pieces were easily removable. I only needed to detach the lower half of the B and C-pillar trim to route the rear camera wire.

To avoid fully removing the C-pillar trim and having to remove/replace the airbag clip, I removed the rear seat and it's associated trim, removed the lower portion of the C-pillar trim, then loosened the bottom part of the upper portion. This allowed ample space to fish the cable from the top, upper corner by the rear window. There was also space behind that upper trim to store the looped slack.

I ran the power cable from the A-pillar, under the dash and center console. The shifter/cup holder trim was easily removed so I could drill a hole and route the cable into the center console to utilize the power plug.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,130 Posts
Good work, @spredvan. I need to get the rear dash cam installed in the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@spredvan

I installed a Viofo A139 2-Channel, I've included pictures below. I run the cables across the headliner to the A Pillar, down the A Pillar to the Kick Panel and installed and the Viofo Hardwire Kit.. From there, I ran the rear camera cable under the front and rear door sills, under the weather stripping on the rear door to the the C Pannel, across the top of the C Panel, then across the headliner above the rear window.

Viofo A139 Front Camera

Viofo A139 Hardwire Kit With Voltage Cutoff

Viofo A139 Rear Camera

·
Registered
147 Posts
@spredvan

I installed a Viofo A139 2-Channel, I've included pictures below. I run the cables across the headliner to the A Pillar, down the A Pillar to the Kick Panel and installed and the Viofo Hardwire Kit.. From there, I ran the rear camera cable under the front and rear door sills, under the weather stripping on the rear door to the the C Pannel, across the top of the C Panel, then across the headliner above the rear window.

View attachment 415738

Viofo A139 Front Camera

View attachment 415739

Viofo A139 Hardwire Kit With Voltage Cutoff

View attachment 415740

Viofo A139 Rear Camera
Hi, any concerns about it being in the sun all day or does it appear to be built for that?

Mind if I ask what part of the country you are in too? (Curious about what degree of summer sun yours gets exposed to)

Thx

·
Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
286 Posts
Hi, any concerns about it being in the sun all day or does it appear to be built for that?

Mind if I ask what part of the country you are in too? (Curious about what degree of summer sun yours gets exposed to)

Thx
My Viofo A129 Pro Duo is somewhat built for high heat, but I assume there are limits. It uses super capacitors in lieu of batteries. Capacitors are not as susceptible to heat as batteries are. It also has ample slots in various areas of the case to allow for air flow. I believe it also has an internal fan. It's rated up to 65C, above that it's supposed to shut down automatically. It is a 4k camera, so I'm sure it generates more heat than others.

In my installation, I opted not to use the hardwire kit and only power with the USB plug. I'm only using the cam for driving, not in parking mode. Therefore, it's only on when the vehicle is running. Also, my RL is garaged at home, so it only gets hot when parked away from home.

However, I also installed one in my Crosstour, which stays out in the driveway. So far, both are operating fine with no issues. Temps have been in the upper 90's and lower 100's where I am in eastern Washington.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My Viofo A129 Pro Duo is somewhat built for high heat, but I assume there are limits. It uses super capacitors in lieu of batteries. Capacitors are not as susceptible to heat as batteries are. It also has ample slots in various areas of the case to allow for air flow. I believe it also has an internal fan. It's rated up to 65C, above that it's supposed to shut down automatically. It is a 4k camera, so I'm sure it generates more heat than others.

In my installation, I opted not to use the hardwire kit and only power with the USB plug. I'm only using the cam for driving, not in parking mode. Therefore, it's only on when the vehicle is running. Also, my RL is garaged at home, so it only gets hot when parked away from home.

However, I also installed one in my Crosstour, which stays out in the driveway. So far, both are operating fine with no issues. Temps have been in the upper 90's and lower 100's where I am in eastern Washington.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this - exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts