Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live in one of the U.S. "Sue Belts" ( just outside of Baltimore), I am toying with the idea of getting a dash camera. After doing a little research, I am leaning toward the G1W-C.

I am not a fan of attaching things to the windshield, so I am looking at the rear view mirror attachment. My question is - has anyone used one of these mirror attachments on their Ridgeline? If so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have the same dashcam (earlier model with batt) and initially mounted it to the stalk for the rear view mirror. Problems with how it blocks the outward vision from the driver POV and usability of the dashcam buttoms. Also, it hangs so low, it's very visible.

I bought another mount (http://goo.gl/rQGwbk) that uses 3M tape and mounted it on the windshield ('pebbled' surface) next to the headliner, just left of the rr view mirror. It's powered via a switched fuse from the fuse box, snaked the cord up the A pillar, hidden in the roof headliner and connected to the dashcam. Auto on/off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the same dashcam (earlier model with batt) and initially mounted it to the stalk for the rear view mirror. Problems with how it blocks the outward vision from the driver POV and usability of the dashcam buttoms. Also, it hangs so low
I guess I need to put more thought into the mounting issue. I was hoping to have a somewhat clean look with the mounting, like the camera was an extension of the mirror. I am 6'2", so I am not sure if my size will help or hurt the vision issue.

What are your thoughts on the camera? Do you like it overall? How long have you had it.

Question about the Simms card. With the looping feature on, does it write over the old files when the Simms card is full or do you have to delete files to free up space?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I guess I need to put more thought into the mounting issue. I was hoping to have a somewhat clean look with the mounting, like the camera was an extension of the mirror. I am 6'2", so I am not sure if my size will help or hurt the vision issue.?
I was trying for a stealth mount, hence the rr view mirror mount approach. I''m 6' tall so I moved the rr view mirror as high as possible to elevate the dashcam but it was still out of sorts. Tried moving it in front of the mirror but then couldn't access the buttons or see the lcd screen.

What are your thoughts on the camera? Do you like it overall? How long have you had it?
Quality, construction and software interface was okay. The "chinglish" user manual was limiting, but I researched via the internet so I "learned by doing".

Hey! bought it for $39 on Amazon (June 2014) so it was a deal!

Question about the Simms card. With the looping feature on, does it write over the old files when the Simms card is full or do you have to delete files to free up space?
I ordered a 32 GB sim card. Increased the timing configuration for 5 minute files to reduce the number of files on the card. It re-writes over the oldest file so it's maintenance free there.

All in all, I like it. I hope I won't have to resort to it like Speedlever did recently...:act060:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I have the same camera that I just bought (actually the G1WCB). I have two vehicles so I bought the mirror attachment and a hard wire kit for the Ridgeline and used the suction and cigarette light attachment set that comes with the camera for my company vehicle.

I'll install the ridgeline section today. I installed in the company vehicle last night. I place the suction cup attachment high on the windshield near the headliner and routed the cable under the headliner and down the a pillar. Tried it driving around last night worked great and the placement does not obstruct the drivers vision. The passenger can see it but I can't. I also went with the black bezel so it's in stealth mode for outside the vehicle (or at least as much as possible)

Also the thing to remember about the mirror mount is it doesn't have to hang straight down. You can cant it to one side or the other.

So far love it. The camera is more expensive the others out there, but also higher rated as well. I think you'll like it

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Installed today. Took all of 10 minutes. Power from the extra plug in the map light area.

I like the placement higher on the windshield that the suction mount offers, but the mirror attachment will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same camera that I just bought (actually the G1WCB).

So far love it. The camera is more expensive the others out there, but also higher rated as well. I think you'll like it
I see you got the G1WCB. What is the difference between yours and the G1WC?
By the way, your setup looks great.

I guess I will have to try mounting it to the mirror and see for myself. Your install looks like the way I envisioned my camera install. However, member Epiphany brought up a good point about obstruction with the point of view.

Originally, I thought the DVR 207 camera would be nice because the flip up screen would obstruct less of the windshield, but the reviews I read were mostly negative, plus it was only 720p.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The G1W-CB has a black bezel around the camera lens. The G1W-C has a silver bezel. I felt the black one would draw less attention to it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I guess I will have to try mounting it to the mirror and see for myself. Your install looks like the way I envisioned my camera install. However, member Epiphany brought up a good point about obstruction with the point of view.
Ditto on first impressions, but once you drive your RL with that config you realize the negative aspects out weigh the positive aspects. Esp where the dashcam is screaming out to everyone, "Hey, steal me!"

But, YMMV and different strokes for different folks! :act035:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Just purchased and installed a Garmin NuviCam LMTHD for my ridge. Having a camera and audio going constantly my be more than I can take. May shut off some of it's features

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
By contrast, here is the windshield mount on the company car.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ditto on first impressions, but once you drive your RL with that config you realize the negative aspects out weigh the positive aspects. Esp where the dashcam is screaming out to everyone, "Hey, steal me!"
:
This is one of the main reasons I am dragging my feet on the purchase. It seems that throughout my county, a group or groups of individuals (some might say misguided youths) come through the various neighborhoods and break into unlocked vehicles, stealing or repurposing items found inside. This happens two or three times a year.

The key is to remember to lock your vehicle. Of course, my concern is they see the camera and use extra force to get to the camera. My thought is to use a sunscreen to block the camera from view.

Why we have to go to so many lengths to protect our property. Oh yeah, an element exists out there that prefers to take (steal) what others have. I guess in their minds it is better than working for a living. Oh, the youth of America.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
The other aspect of this is that these cameras are not expensive (though you do have some high end options out there). But for the most part, you can pick them up for a starting price about the same as a bluRay DVD. Cheap insurance for the way people drive, sue, and lie now a days.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The other aspect of this is that these cameras are not expensive (though you do have some high end options out there). But for the most part, you can pick them up for a starting price about the same as a bluRay DVD. Cheap insurance for the way people drive, sue, and lie now a days.
That is a good point and I would gladly sacrifice my "$39 dash cam" to the interested thug or felon.

But it is the peripheral damage to my RL stemming from the break in and other bad stuff that occurs. Time spent dealing with the ins co, body shop and rental car co. and what not.

However, this conversation has prompted me to re-consider how to improve the stealth mounting of my dash cam (pics to follow).

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I discarded my prior mount and used the below 3 piece mount. I did not use the round nut or the two ball mount. The ball mount (from the dash cam) is a smidge larger so it's tight enough in the receptacle w/o any vibrations. This mount is more flexible in positioning because of its smaller size.

I improvised an angular double stick tape attached to the mount to improve the angle and allow the dash cam to see directly forward and not point downward. See pic.

Now, the dash cam is higher than the rr view mirror and not visible from the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What I like about this forum is the ideas and comments members have to find solutions to our issues.

Epiphany, where did you get your new mount?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts