Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 09 RTL. First thing I noticed after getting it home was the passenger seat heater switch bulb was burned out, so I replaced it.

Shortly after that driver side cabin light (center roof area) wasn’t turning on, but a couple days later it was just on (I must have left it in the on position when trying to use it)...

Then it took me a few weeks but I noticed some of the dash buttons looked to have had burned bulbs... the indicator for the brightness of the dash, the moon roof buttons, and possibly the VSA OFF switch (don't know if that has a light though.... I'm assuming it should but have never seen it on). Turns out though, these lights seem to just work randomly, and usually one or the other (see pics)

I was a little excited I don’t have to (yet) tear apart the dash to replace the bulbs. I’m hoping it’s a fuse or something, but because of the randomness I’m not sure. I haven’t have a chance to investigate the fuse angle yet, but will soon.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Pics taken over course of a couple days.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
For a 2009 where the dash brightness was run at max, you're probably at the time where the bulbs start burning out.

I would just replace them all to nip it in the bud (and only take the dash apart once), then run the brightness at 50-60% to ensure a longer life.

Chip H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

Digging in the dash and replacing bulbs is much better than finding out it's some known wiring problem or expensive fix. Looks like I'll just order all the bulbs and change them out.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
If you're going to replace them, put in some LEDs. Make sure the polarity is right before you put the dash back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with my local Honda dealer. $170 for 20 bulbs at 9 bucks a piece.
I'm going to maybe just get the ones I need for now or try and find some of the LEDs, if they are any cheaper.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Since it sounds like you may be new to buying parts online for your RL, here's another source you can keep on file, if you want to compare prices. Both (majestic & bernardi) are pretty good, and I think there is one or two others out there. While you will find some significant variation between these sources on some specific items, most items are priced pretty similar (@ a good discount).
Once in a while you'll see a "free shipping" offer as well:

bernardiparts.com

also be aware of handa.com for accessories & maintenance items.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm a little new to online parts. I've gotten some before, I'm a DIY guy but I'm definitely not a 'car guy' so usually something goes wrong, shipped the wrong part, ordered the wrong part, etc, etc. I prefer OEM stuff, and just asking the dealer for a part just makes my life easier. I did just get a turn signal lever for my wife's Fit online... But 9 bucks a bulb is robbery though so I'm definitely going to get these bulbs online.

I do want to say thanks everyone for the help and input. I've been lurking on the forum since I got my RL and it's been really helpful (especially in regards to bluetooth audio/aux solutions). For my first post here it's been a great experience.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little new to online parts. I've gotten some before, I'm a DIY guy but I'm definitely not a 'car guy' so usually something goes wrong, shipped the wrong part, ordered the wrong part, etc, etc. I prefer OEM stuff, and just asking the dealer for a part just makes my life easier. I did just get a turn signal lever for my wife's Fit online... But 9 bucks a bulb is robbery though so I'm definitely going to get these bulbs online.

I do want to say thanks everyone for the help and input. I've been lurking on the forum since I got my RL and it's been really helpful (especially in regards to bluetooth audio/aux solutions). For my first post here it's been a great experience.
One more thing then newb: Many members here have found that if you check those on-line OEM prices & ask your local dealer to match them, you might find yourself saving some serious coin. Some do & some don't, but it can't hurt to ask; and then you won't have to hassle with on-line buying if that's not your thing. Good Luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts