Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to put a dashcam and maybe a front plus rear camera system in the new RL.

Any suggestions or experiences? I want it to be as unobtrusive as possible and have a custom installation so as not to have a lot of wires dangling everywhere....

· Registered
246 Posts
Thinkware. Does F& R. Had it for 8 months. Only issue I have had is every once & awhile it dumps its settings. Has a parking mode. Will record impacts when parked. Do not use the motion, esp with F& R. It picks up more than you could deal with watching.

· Registered
7 Posts
I got one from Costco cobra hd. I placed it to the right of the Rearview mirror as high as possible luckily the ridgeline has smooth glass on the inside so its easy to put high up. The power cord that came with it when traced around the trim and behind the glove box got it that far. After that just used a extention wire to meet the cameras plug behind the glove box above the kick panel.

got mine from autozone but this is the idea Graylog Web Interface

used my dash cam from Costco which I last saw for like 80 bucks https://www.cobra.com/products/dash-cams/cdr-840

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinkware. Does F& R. Had it for 8 months. Only issue I have had is every once & awhile it dumps its settings. Has a parking mode. Will record impacts when parked. Do not use the motion, esp with F& R. It picks up more than you could deal with watching.

Thanks! Thinkware does look very good. I will give it a very close look.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Just a warning....as a retired accident reconstructionist, I can tell you emphatically that if you are involved in a collision, that can be taken and used as evidence under most circumstances....and it would be easier than getting a warrant for the vehicles black box....

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a warning....as a retired accident reconstructionist, I can tell you emphatically that if you are involved in a collision, that can be taken and used as evidence under most circumstances....and it would be easier than getting a warrant for the vehicles black box....
Well, given my driving history it is statistically much more likely that some texting moron will hit me than the other way around and in that case, the camera is a plus, not a negative. Like any other decision, it is about the odds, and in my case, the odds favor putting one in.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Well, given my driving history it is statistically much more likely that some texting moron will hit me than the other way around and in that case, the camera is a plus, not a negative. Like any other decision, it is about the odds, and in my case, the odds favor putting one in.
That is how I'd feel, too; however, I wanted to throw it out there....knowledge is power to make better decisions, IMHO.

· Registered
246 Posts
Don't get a GPS mode cause it shows speedl. Thats what I did. That way they cant say that you were doing X over and use that against you. Also shut off the audio. I got a lower end model. The X300 I think. Get the lowest one that does rear camera. Thats all you need. The other options are a nuisance and just adds to the cost. You'll also want to get the hard wire cable for parking mode. Parking mode will cover parking lot hit and runs.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get a GPS mode cause it shows speedl. Thats what I did. That way they cant say that you were doing X over and use that against you. Also shut off the audio. I got a lower end model. The X300 I think. Get the lowest one that does rear camera. Thats all you need. The other options are a nuisance and just adds to the cost. You'll also want to get the hard wire cable for parking mode. Parking mode will cover parking lot hit and runs.
Good point and good to know! Yes, I was looking at the hardwire kits and would not need the blind spot and collision alert stuff since I will have an RTL-E and that is built in if I choose to use it.

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,894 Posts
There is another thread on Dash Camera's somewhere here on the ROC, (When I find it I'll add a link) anyway within it was an article about some new law or laws requiring GPS and what's going on inside the vehicle..

In this thread http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/129089-dash-cam-recommendations.html

And here is the post, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/129089-dash-cam-recommendations-3.html#post2032058. Considering that SPEED, just had an accident where his original Dash Cam caught the "STOP SIGN RUNNER", I know he's following this info closely. Who knows the Yahoo article states it may have been a setup, but interesting none the less

Guess what I'm suggesting is to check the local laws in the state you live in, before buying.

· Administrator
24,843 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if Honda added software to allow the existing Honda Sensing, LaneWatch and/or rearview cameras to be used as a dashcams? The hardware is already there. The touch screen could serve as the interface and the video could be stored on a USB drive. Alas, I digress.

· Premium Member
818 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if Honda added software to allow the existing Honda Sensing, LaneWatch and/or rearview cameras to be used as a dashcams? The hardware is already there. The touch screen could serve as the interface and the video could be stored on a USB drive. Alas, I digress.
The NSA thinks so...

Reactions: bkp

· Registered
246 Posts
There is another thread on Dash Camera's somewhere here on the ROC, (When I find it I'll add a link) anyway within it was an article about some new law or laws requiring GPS and what's going on inside the vehicle..

In this thread http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/129089-dash-cam-recommendations.html

And here is the post, http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/129089-dash-cam-recommendations-3.html#post2032058. Considering that SPEED, just had an accident where his original Dash Cam caught the "STOP SIGN RUNNER", I know he's following this info closely. Who knows the Yahoo article states it may have been a setup, but interesting none the less

Guess what I'm suggesting is to check the local laws in the state you live in, before buying.
Heres how you don't worry about that. You just show the cop on scene the video and he writes a ticket. Problem solved once the driver is ticketed for being at fault. The rest is insurance companies, lawyers and courts.

Sound like a bunch of junk anyway. The guy with the camera needs to show everything yet the other guy needs to produce nothing?

Having a rear camera is great for road rage and tailgating. When they cut you off and you hit them you can show how they were driving behind you. Same goes for motorcyclists splitting lanes illegally.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
I used to think that not having GPS on the dashcam was a plus. But as larryr pointed out, the authorities can calculate your speed from the video, it just takes a bit more effort. Looking back, I'd rather have the GPS now.

Regardless, in my stop sign runner accident, I mentioned to the cop that I had a video, but he told me he didn't need it since the perp owned up to running the stop sign.

My biggest battles to come were with the insurance company of the at fault person. In the end, I have been very satisfied with the repair job from my local Honda shop.

· Premium Member
608 Posts
Every time you use Androids version of Siri Google records that to make their voice to text better. Apple probably does the same. Who knows how long thy keep all that data. So your being recorded more than you think.
That, however, would be very difficult to subpoena and then actually get, even if they kept if for any length of time. Dash cam video? Easy peasy. They might even take the camera right then and there if it's a bad enough accident with major injury and/or death. Hard to keep that out of evidence and could even backfire on one side or the other civilly by showing a small percentage of 'fault' on the 'victim's' part depending on the actions observed. Those defense attorneys in civil matters are looking for anything to reduce the monetary liability of their client and this could provide them with some valuable ammo to reduce a judgement or put some of the judgement onto another party.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,933 Posts
... Same goes for motorcyclists splitting lanes illegally.
Not to get too far off-topic here, but lane-splitting, or rather, lane-sharing, is legal in many states. Or, more accurately, it is not illegal. Unless it is specifically illegal in your state, a motorcyclist cannot be ticketed for it. OTOH, if the motorcyclist is being an idiot, they can be ticketed for reckless driving. There're always a few bad ones out there that make life hard on the rest of us...

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Back in my motorcycling days, I was under the impression that lane splitting was only allowed in California. I don't think it's legal in NC, but the law could have changed since I last rode.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,933 Posts
Back in my motorcycling days, I was under the impression that lane splitting was only allowed in California. I don't think it's legal in NC, but the law could have changed since I last rode.
I know that in Texas, there is no law for or against it. This was according to the Texas State Trooper who taught my MSF course. It is that way in many states, i.e. - no laws specifically for or against it. The reason you see it occur more in CA is because it is more socially accepted in that state. It may not be a good idea to do it much in TX because ******* Bubba may not think it's right or fair and may take offense to it (which could be lethal to the smaller vehicle).

With that being said, you can be ticketed for reckless driving. That may be warranted or not, and could depend in large part on whether the ticketing officer is also a motorcyclist. There are still a lot of officers that don't have a full knowledge of traffic laws in their jurisdiction, especially when it comes to something uncommon like use of headlight modulators on motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.