Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around for an OBDII to usb adapter when i came across this:

Dongar

Works perfectly. Takes the 7pin from the back of the auto dimming mirror and splits it off to a usb output. Been using it for the last few weeks with my Garmin mini 2 and haven't had any issues at all. Decently made. Even came with a little ~3 inch usb micro usb cord so no need to hide any excess.

Seems simple enough. With a few bucks and a little know-how I'm sure it could be a pretty easy diy as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Be careful messing with power wires up there. My wife's Accord failed to start one day. Long story short, after it was towed to the dealer and $900 later, it turned out her handicap placard that she hangs from the mirror when she parks damage that harness and the car "thought' it was being stolen!!! The entire "roof harness" needed to be replaced. The tech has seen it happen a few times.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,425 Posts
Does the outlet have full time power?
No. If you want Parking Mode, you'll need to go to the fuse box which is the recommended way of installing a dash cam or radar detector anyway. Takes about an additional 10 minutes.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
If you need any help, or guidance, if you decide to go to the fuse panel, PM me and I'll give you my cell and walk you through it. I am an EE and a professional installer for over 40 years. I have helped hundreds of members with their dash cam/radar detector installs both in person (if you live near by) and remotely...my expert advice is always free! Super easy and I highly recommend folks stay away from these "adapters" from a professional installation point of view.

·
Registered
06 RTL, 2021 RTLE
112 Posts
If you need any help, or guidance, if you decide to go to the fuse panel, PM me and I'll give you my cell and walk you through it. I am an EE and a professional installer for over 40 years. I have helped hundreds of members with their dash cam/radar detector installs both in person (if you live near by) and remotely...my expert advice is always free! Super easy and I highly recommend folks stay away from these "adapters" from a professional installation point of view.
Which cable do I use? I was going to order a Garmin constant power cable....

·
Registered
2022 BE PWP
257 Posts
I was going to use one of these mirror taps, but instead decided to run lines from both cameras to the fusebox area where I installed a double USB supply to an unused switched fuse position. It was very easy.

Reactions: securityguy

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
No. If you want Parking Mode, you'll need to go to the fuse box which is the recommended way of installing a dash cam or radar detector anyway. Takes about an additional 10 minutes.
Which fuses are the recommended (for 2nd gen) tap for 1) full-time power, and 2) accessory power (only on when car is on). I see a few open ones on my 21 Sport, but unsure if they are accessory power or full-time.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,262 Posts
Which fuses are the recommended (for 2nd gen) tap for 1) full-time power, and 2) accessory power (only on when car is on). I see a few open ones on my 21 Sport, but unsure if they are accessory power or full-time.
Take a look at post #31 in this thread.
# 28 Yellow- ACC (Switched)
# 18 Red - HOT

·
Registered
2022 BE PWP
257 Posts
Take a look at post #31 in this thread.
# 28 Yellow- ACC (Switched)
# 18 Red - HOT
Another option that I have been using for switched for almost two months now with no issues - unused #30.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Just order it for my 2022 BE. Question, is access to the mirror plug just unplugging he current wire, not covers to remove? Seems very tight up there behind the mirror.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Just order it for my 2022 BE. Question, is access to the mirror plug just unplugging he current wire, not covers to remove? Seems very tight up there behind the mirror.
Do yourself a BIG favor and just run the wire to the fuse panel. It will take you about 10 minutes more to do it right.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I used the splitter and it took just 5 minutes. Thanks for offering to help. The splitter is a really clean install.
Great to hear. However, you have no Parking Mode and never will unless you take the power to the fuse box. Parking Mode is a very important part of every dash cam install. Just an FYI.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts