Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, please help !!!!! Trying to convert my DRL from halogen to LED and running into trouble. First tried a plug and play from Nighteye on Amazon, 9005 HB3 bulb. Only one side would light up ? Then ordered a set of can bus resistors/decoders and same thing . One side will light up and stay steady with a halogen on the other side, but with both LED'S in neither will light up. going crazy here, any advice would be great, thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,334 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
The DRL are run in series, which means they each get 6v of power..............for that dim light they provide.

I ran into the same exact issue you did today when I tried to swap mine over to LED. I'm using XenonDepot's 9005 lights with Canbus..........no luck. I'm waiting to hear back from them about this, but if it's not a simple plug and play then I'm just going to return them and go with a 5000k regular bulb to match my LED headlights and foglights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the exact look I am looking for ! Do you remember if you had to do some wiring modifications ? Or was it just plug and play equipment ?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm having the same trouble with the DRL LED bulbs that I bought from Xenon Depot. I'm hoping that they help figure this out as they charged extra for the adapters that are supposed to make this work.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm having the same trouble with the DRL LED bulbs that I bought from Xenon Depot. I'm hoping that they help figure this out as they charged extra for the adapters that are supposed to make this work.
Exactly............an extra $20 for a simple plug-n-play install.............and it doesn't work.
I'll be returning them and getting my $$$ back this week if they can't figure it out with a simple fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, I brought the lights and can bus decoders I bought off Amazon to a car audio/ accessory installer and he could not figure it out either.He even tried installing his
led bulbs and ballasts and it would not work. Said he was going to consult with someone from Honda and follow up with me after weekend.We shall see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final update , car audio/accessory guy was able to get a hold of correct wiring harness for Honda. I installed new 6k LED bulbs. Had 2 options, either lights would be on as soon as truck turned on until shut down, installed separate switch on lower left panel under steering wheel and if switch turned on will turn on automatically or I can switch off if desired.Went with option 2 and am totally satisfied, very bright, might turn off at night cause coupled with my HID headlights might be too much but have to feel it out.So bottom line is it can be done with correct harness and not the stock wiring plugs.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
It's not the right harness then, just one that gets the lights working. The DRLs should automatically turn off when you turn your headlights on and you shouldn't be able to have them on with the headlights. Fog/driving lights yes, but not the daytime running lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This harness gives me the option of having them on with the headlights ,which I like, or turning them off with a separate switch if I choose, which I like also. Same thing with my fogs, can turn on or off as I choose.

·
Registered
338 Posts
This harness gives me the option of having them on with the headlights ,which I like, or turning them off with a separate switch if I choose, which I like also. Same thing with my fogs, can turn on or off as I choose.
How much was this harness? Do you know where it can be purchased? Xenon Depot provided harnesses, one for each bulb, after we complained but that didn't completely fix the issue. I too wouldn't mind having the ability to turn my DRLs on whenever I want them. Heck, I'd probably just run 24/7 with all lights on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Final update , car audio/accessory guy was able to get a hold of correct wiring harness for Honda. I installed new 6k LED bulbs. Had 2 options, either lights would be on as soon as truck turned on until shut down, installed separate switch on lower left panel under steering wheel and if switch turned on will turn on automatically or I can switch off if desired.Went with option 2 and am totally satisfied, very bright, might turn off at night cause coupled with my HID headlights might be too much but have to feel it out.So bottom line is it can be done with correct harness and not the stock wiring plugs.
So, in the end, this was just a harness issue? Do you have a part number/link/other info on what harness was used to get yours working? This has been driving me crazy for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,341 Posts
It's not the right harness then, just one that gets the lights working. The DRLs should automatically turn off when you turn your headlights on and you shouldn't be able to have them on with the headlights. Fog/driving lights yes, but not the daytime running lights.
You are correct. The DRLs should either turn OFF or dim, when the Headlights are on. My civic's DRLs are bright as **** and when the headlights come on, they dim down a lot.

Coolcat: having them run constantly is illegal in every state and might not be able to pass regular inspection. Even if you beat the earlier statement and pass with flying colors, you will not understand how much of an annoyance you would be. Our G1 is not the greatest when it comes to the light reflector bowl designs and the number of *******s with HIDs in them driving down the road is unbelievable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just want a solution, so I can get my LEDs to work! Preferably, exactly as my running lights to now, just brighter and a cleaner light. How is this accomplished? Is there a wiring harness that solves the issue? If so, where?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just want a solution, so I can get my LEDs to work! Preferably, exactly as my running lights to now, just brighter and a cleaner light. How is this accomplished? Is there a wiring harness that solves the issue? If so, where?

No wiring harness necessary for purchase if you have your own wiring at home .. follow this diagram here .

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
No wiring harness necessary for purchase if you have your own wiring at home .. follow this diagram here .

Sent from my iPhone 6s using Tapatalk
Oh lord. I wouldn't know where to begin there. What resistors? Where would I get them? Where do I connections to wire to (that connect to the stock harness)? Where do I rune the wires, to avoid them being in the way or in the engine compartment? I think this is beyond my skillset.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts