Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the ridgeline or any Honda sold in the USA come with daytime running lights? If not does anyone know can they be added? In my neck of the woods many roads request that lights be used at all times, we have very high head accident rates.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
None of the US models. Don't know if you can retrofit the DRLs from a canadian model. One possibility on the higher models is to leave the lights on and let the auto-shutoff delay turn them off after you turn the ignition off. Think it was a thirty second delay in my 2001 Accord EX V6.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
My '05 Odyssey does not have DRLs as far as I know. I hadn't thought of using the auto shut-off feature for keeping the lights on in the daytime.

I agree with the above poster that DRLs will probably not be an option for the US models.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today while over at our transportation Department, I asked if they had honda manuals, since part of the fleet is accords. They were nice nice to look it up for me, and they said based on what they show in the pictures, and wire diagrams the difference is one relay, which is marked Canadian models only.
So they said that most likely, if you installed the relay, you would have DRL's in a US car, and that all the wires should be installed. I have sent an e-mail to my brothers local dealer, he lives in Canada, to ask them if this is a user installable part, since the local shop did not even know Honda made cars with DRL.
I will let you know what I find out from him.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Hamsar site does not list the Ridgeline yet. Has anyone found a Ridgeline-specific solution, either using factory items or accessory suppliers?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I would like to add this feature to my truck. My insurance will give me a discount if I have this feature enabled.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think Canada's DRL law (I assume it's a law) is a good idea. Hope someone here finds the magic relay to plug-in and make our US trucks behave their way! :cool:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Also interested in the DRL module if available ... please keep us posted ...really don't think it would take more then a "plug - in" relay. Figure the wiring harness is already included in the manufactured process? :confused:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I, too, am interested in this feature, as I travel to the eastern shore of Maryland often and they require your headlights on several roads. Since I'm pathetic with wiring anything, I'm doubtful that I would be able to do this. Especially if I have to take anything apart. :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All,

I called Hamsar today to ask if the had a kit for the Ridgeline, they may but they need to see the headlight wiring diagram. So if anyone has access to this diagram, and can send up, they will have thier engineers look it over so they can match it to the correct relay. Since they have one for the pilot, I am hoping the same unit might work.

·
Registered
32 Posts

"Day Time Running Lights" are low beam headlights at "HALF" power settings !

If you are concerned about safety , use your low beam headlights .

I drive with my headlights on all the time for safety and never have any
problems .

There is an "adjustment" that will allow the fog lights to come on by
themselves , with low beams , or with high beams . The light relay can
be dissassembled and tuned .

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
H345 said:

"Day Time Running Lights" are low beam headlights at "HALF" power settings !

If you are concerned about safety , use your low beam headlights .

I drive with my headlights on all the time for safety and never have any
problems .

There is an "adjustment" that will allow the fog lights to come on by
themselves , with low beams , or with high beams . The light relay can
be dissassembled and tuned .

The big issue I can see with your solution to keep your low beams on all the time is that by keeping you low beams on during the daylight hours, you are also dimming the radio and instrument panel. I believe the daytime running lights keeps the instrument panel and radio at full illumination and only dims them when you actually activate the head lights. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bongus,

ON my truck, the instrument lights stay off tillyou turn the headlights on, that way at night even though th edriveway is lit, you know the lights are not on.

bongus said:
The big issue I can see with your solution to keep your low beams on all the time is that by keeping you low beams on during the daylight hours, you are also dimming the radio and instrument panel. I believe the daytime running lights keeps the instrument panel and radio at full illumination and only dims them when you actually activate the head lights. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
delphi7x10 said:
Hi All,

I called Hamsar today to ask if the had a kit for the Ridgeline, they may but they need to see the headlight wiring diagram. So if anyone has access to this diagram, and can send up, they will have thier engineers look it over so they can match it to the correct relay. Since they have one for the pilot, I am hoping the same unit might work.
You might want to pose that question to "the kid" in this forum since he works at the factory. He might have access to the diagram. I would jump all over the DRL if they can figure it out for the USA Rigeline...can we just copy the Canadian version?

·
Registered
296 Posts
swampler said:
I personally don't see the big deal about DRL. I don't like them, period and am very glad that Honda didn't put them on the truck. Basically all it does is burn out the bulbs quicker. :confused:
To each his own.

Note however that if the DRL do indeed work as has been speculated here (that they burn at half intensity) then the lamps will last much, much longer than if they are burned at full brightness.

If you dim a 100watt household incandescent lamp to half or less, it will last darn near forever.

Now I have read the article referred to by Skywalker, which is virtually incomprehensible. The author does state at one point:

>Aside: I took a class in college where the text was The Language of Argument. It was not part of my major...

That's pretty obvious! Wonder what grade he got! :eek:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Swampler,

I don't how long they should last, but my chevy is 9 years old, and has 99,000 miles on it, all with the lights on thanks to DRL, and I have never changed the bulbs.

As for that link, well that guy has never been in a car with DRL's is my guess. How does this change my ability to flash the light? the switch on the colum is the same one that chevy has alway used. If you could turn them off, then they would not get used, just like many people do with regular headlights, I always see people with no lights on at night.
As for forgetting to turn your lights on at night because the headlights are shinning, that is covered in two ways, they have an indicator light, that tells you DRL's are on, and in the dark I can't see the dash board. ( its like my weather rock, if its white I know its snowing, if its wet I know its raining.)

swampler said:
I personally don't see the big deal about DRL. I don't like them, period and am very glad that Honda didn't put them on the truck. Basically all it does is burn out the bulbs quicker. :confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts