Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have only had my 2009 Ridgeline a short time when I went out and found I had a dead battery. The day before I had just moved it out of my garage and killed it. I moved it back in at the end of the day. I thought maybe I cranked it to many time without running it long enough to charge the battery back up. I just stuck my charger on it and let it charge while I got ready for a 350 mile trip. I came back out and it started no problem. I drove down to my in-laws and back over the next few days. I didn't have any problems for about 2 1/2 weeks. I went out and found it dead again. So I charged it over night. The next day I took it to the dealer to have the battery checked. The service guy was trying to tell me about these phone and Ipod chargers and devices I had pluged in to the accessories outlets. I told him all these things go off with the ignition key. The battery was going down over night with the ignition key off and the key out of the truck. I told him he would be better off looking for a problem with dome lights, or cargo lights. Something that is powered when the ignition is turned off. He started looking and found that the dash trim peace was installed incorrectly and it wasn't allowing the button to pop back out when depressed. The cargo lights would not show to be on, but it was allowing a current to pass and over a long time would drain the battery. We disconnected the cargo light switch by pulling the connector off from the back of the switch. The dealer has order a new faceplate for the dash and will install it when it comes in. So far it has been over a week and no problems. It starts very good now. The cargo lights still come on when you open the tailgate. I did buy a 400 watt mobile power pack for jumping it off if that didn't fix it. I am not a fool you know, and I wanted one anyway. I work evening and get off at 01:30am. With nobody around that time of night help me. I haven't needed it yet. I will keep you informed. Check around your cargo light switch and see if your faceplate is rubbing the button.
If so you may have the same problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it has been a week from when they replaced the faceplate on my dash. No more battery problems. Everything is working fine. That must have been problem. :act030:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Good one! Who would have thunk it. Kudos to the service man who found it also. As for the power pack, nice insurance! I've been wanting one also but haven't pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am having the same problem on my '07. I bought it used 6 months ago, and about a week ago, I went to start it one morning and it was completely dead. I got it jumped the battery charged and it was fine until the next morning, dead again. It is at the dealership as right now and they are running a diagnostic check for a parasitic drain since the cannot find an issue with the battery or charging system. This is 100 bucks check if they can't find an issue. This is extremely irritating.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got a call from the dealership. They didn't find anything wrong. Well if that is the case why is the battery dead every morning? So now I have a 100 diagnostic bill and a truck that will be dead tomorrow morning stranding me at home. So much for Honda reliability.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 07. I told them to keep it overnight and try to start it in the morning and then tell me there isn't anything wrong with the truck. Not sure what they expect me to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I've been going back and forth with the Honda service department. They say they cannot find anything wrong with the truck. The service manager suggested replacing three relays which he said might be sticking. For 15 bucks, I told him to do it. I'm already out 100 for the diagnostic check that didn't come up with anything. Kinda frustrating to have these problems and be paying for service on a 'certified used' vehicle you just paid 20K plus for a few moths ago. I drove my Tacoma for 175k miles and only had to replace the brake pads and change the oil. Oh well, we will see if this resolves the issue, if not, back to Toyota I go...

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,577 Posts
swedge,

Hate to see you cranked up over what is most likely a failing battery. My mom had a similar issue with her Toyota Sienna. Back and forth to the shop. Battery always checked fine at the shop. I told her to replace the battery anyway and she did. No problems since.

With an '07, you are probably around 3 to 4 years in service. I'll bet, barring unusual circumstances, you have a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find a few threads about this (Including mine somewhere). My 07's battery did the same thing, ok for a few weeks, then dead, then ok again for a period of time. It was a bad cell. Warranty covered a new Honda 100 month battery. I do think there was a batch of batteries in 06-07 that were bad resulting in early failure.

A simple battery test should pick this up if it's the cause.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find a few threads about this (Including mine somewhere). My 07's battery did the same thing, ok for a few weeks, then dead, then ok again for a period of time. It was a bad cell. Warranty covered a new Honda 100 month battery. I do think there was a batch of batteries in 06-07 that were bad resulting in early failure.

A simple battery test should pick this up if it's the cause.

Well there was an aftermarket battery in the truck when I bought it which makes me think this is a lingering issue. I got the truck back on Friday and haven't had a problem yet so we will see if the issue is resolved, if not, I'm going back to the dealer it was bought from and complaining. I hope everything is resolved. I really like the truck, but I can't deal with something if it is unreliable. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it has been a week from when they replaced the faceplate on my dash. No more battery problems. Everything is working fine. That must have been problem. :act030:
06/10/2010 It is now two weeks and no problems. It is looking good! It is starting faster because the battery is fully charged. I think it was the faceplate on the dash holding the button slightly depressed. Who would have thought... I am a very happy Ridgeline owner for sure now.:act024::cheerleader:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exact reasons why I refuse to buy a used car... not that you can't find goods one out there, but for irritating, time consuming issues this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well there was an aftermarket battery in the truck when I bought it which makes me think this is a lingering issue. I got the truck back on Friday and haven't had a problem yet so we will see if the issue is resolved, if not, I'm going back to the dealer it was bought from and complaining. I hope everything is resolved. I really like the truck, but I can't deal with something if it is unreliable. I'll keep you updated.
I guess you will see if it happens again. I hope it doesn't. It has been three weeks now and no problems yet on my 09 Ridgeline. A few things to try if it happens to you again. Behind the cargo light switch under the dashboard. Reach up under the dash and pull the connector off the cargo light switch. Let it go for a while. If it happens again then plug it back on. Then go to the dome light switch and pull the connector off the back of it. If it happens again plug it back on. Then start looking at things like the cooling fan relays for the fans for the radiator. The A/C has one and there is one for the radiator fan itself that comes on when the motor reaches temperature. Sometimes they get a bur on the contacts and hang. Others just stick for whatever reason. I have had it happen to other makes of vehicles. A clue to this is the fan keeps running after you turn off the motor. If you come out after you have stopped for a short time and it is still going, then it may be the relay.
There are other things, but that is the ones I would check first. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wanted to let everyone know, it has been well over a month now and no problem. That had to be the problem with the cargo lights button not releasing all the way. Oh well, all is good now. I am happy with the way it works. My thanks to Huggins Honda. :act035:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just and update for anyone having similar problems. They replaced an A/C relay (compressor?) and I haven't had any problems since then besides an A/C system leak that was covered under warranty. :act035:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It has been almost one year and no more problems. I din't have to get another battery or anything. I have used the cargo lights many times in the last year too.

I am glad that was all it was. :cheerleader:

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2013 battery gave up on Christmas eve, took my sons car to where we were going, Christmas day I jump started the truck, not sure if a light had been left on or not. Battery was not completely dead, lights dim, door locks worked but no start. Jump start worked, let the truck run for about 15 minutes at 2000 RPM. Shut down, dome lite nice and bright.

This morning I told my wife not to leave until I was sure truck would start. Went to start truck, door fob did not work, tried key but it would only engage halfway, tried to rotate key to see if it would engage no joy, lubed lock, not joy. Can not get in door, can not open hood. Called shop, they suggested I break in by prying door open.

The truck has a trailer hitch and connector, not sure if I could power up the battery bus through a pin on this connector. Not wild about using a pry bar and bladder to force the door open enough to open door.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,335 Posts
Not sure why the key is not working to manually unlock. Is it super cold? You could try a hair dryer on the lock cylinder if so. . .

Otherwise, I would call a locksmith rather than prying your way in.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts