Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I just experience this for my first time this last week/weekend :act060: so I thought I’d share. I did find a few somewhat related topics on this within the forum, but if this helps any one then my experience will not been in vain. It’s been pretty cold here in Utah lately as it’s be on average hovering around 12 to 22 degrees in December & January thus far. Recently I’ve found myself locked out of my vehicle. When I press my unlock on my key once I can hear the lock respond, but the doors do not unlock. I press unlock twice on my key fob again I can hear the door locks respond, but again no luck on opening doors. I press and hold on unlock after pressing it twice but hold down on the unlock on my fob so that the windows would roll down but still no such luck.

I ended up waiting until about 10am until my Ridgeline’s battery was able to muster an unlock which it finally did. I was able to pop the hood and saw that the positive terminal was heavily corroded. I did not have a steel brush to clean it off, so I dumped a can of Coke on the positive terminal post as the phosphoric acid will eat away at the corrosion. I was able to pull the battery out and dump some really hot soapy water to clean up after the sticky coke syrup.

I did go get another battery for my Ridgeline that had a little bit better Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and what do you know; once I was able to get the battery back in everything started running like a champ. I did make sure they next morning that it was able to start up in the weeeeee hours of the morning. I will also be testing my alternator (I have a charger/alt tester) to ensure it's charging the battery like it should. I have not done that yet. I bought my 2006 RTL used in 2014, and I never have replaced the battery.

Now I had not bothered with this until I dropped my kiddos off for school on Monday, but just after I dropped them off I turned on the radio and found it asking for a Radio Code. Perplexed I searched for some answers online which was giving me all sorts of answers to try. I found that this is indeed a code that the Honda Dealer can provide for you over the phone for free, however they need the radio serial number from your truck.

So in order to get the radio serial number I had to do the following…

1. Start with everything powered off in park, I was able to turn my key in the ignition to ACC which would not start the Ridgeline but rather provide power in the cab.

2. (This is the fun part) With one hand press and hold down the Number 1 and the Number 6 while with the other hand power on the radio. Doing this should provide the serial number which looks to be about 8 digits long but in two segments of 4 digits.

3. Read off the serial number to the Service Dept. over the phone and they should be able to provide you a sequence to enter back in on your radio to unlock the Radio & Anti-Theft. If the S/N goes away simply repeat the process once more in steps 1 & 2.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,695 Posts
I'm guessing you looked in the traditional place for Honda service departments to write it and it wasn't there. Side of the Glove Box, away from the drivers seat (in my case). There are many posts on this, some have found it before calling the service department others after. I also believe there is a method to do it online, I'd have to search the Forum (Using the search in the blue bar) in an attempt to find it.

Overall Very nice early post, Dex.

·
Registered
2009 RTS
805 Posts
Isn't all of this info in the owners manual?
I remember reading how to obtain info for the codes somewhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't all of this info in the owners manual?
I remember reading how to obtain info for the codes somewhere.
I bought mine used and it did not include a manual. :\

In the process of poppin' the hood, I also snapped this little sucker off in the cold:

I'm sure it's a cheap part... I'm just curious if it's easy to replace. :act060:

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts

In the process of poppin' the hood, I also snapped this little sucker off in the cold:

I'm sure it's a cheap part... I'm just curious if it's easy to replace. :act060:
Looks like it was used a lot.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Not sure how hard it is to replace, but some members have posted "DIY" fixes for this. If you do a search you'll find them and maybe they'll explain why they went that way vs. new part replacement.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,695 Posts

It's not really expensive, but the entire assembly needs to be replaced.

Hood Release Handle, DIY Thread

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I don't recall needing the device serial number. Maybe it is either or. I am sure that I never provided the DSN but maybe they have changed the requirements since I registered many years ago.
I just registered there and yes you do need the serial number. The site provides instructions on how to get the SN from the display so you don't have to pull out the unit or go hunting for it.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.

2 Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step .

3.Turn OFF the device
4 Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.

5 The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)

6. And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)

7. Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
I just registered there and yes you do need the serial number. The site provides instructions on how to get the SN from the display so you don't have to pull out the unit or go hunting for it.
Interesting. It's been too long since I registered at owners.honda.com so I don't recall the process. Regardless, I have a page for each Honda vehicle. Both the Pilot and the RL show the radio code. I do not remember having to have the radio s/n, but I suppose that's possible. Or maybe they've changed the site since I initially registered and now require it? I have no idea.

For fun, I went to the Civic page and when I clicked the hyperlinked word to add the code, it wanted me to add the code manually. But I have an aftermarket radio in the Civic so it doesn't apply anyway.

Point being, it didn't ask for any info... except to ask me to input the radio code. Maybe it's just the old ('99) Civic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, don't forget, the physical key does unlock the door. :-]
In my case, I was unable to unlock the door with the key, I was essentially locked out. It was a combination of the dying battery & cold that would not let me open the door(s) with & without the key. :|

1 - 20 of 24 Posts