Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did what shovelhd did. I killed my battery. Man!! they don't make them like they used to!! I left my ignition on for two hours and it killed the battery!! I went to Auto Zone and bought an emergency start battery. None of the doors were open. The radio and the panel lites were the only things that were on. This is the fourth time in two years someone had a dead battery, my wife's CRV twice (left the two map lites on overnite both times) my daughters Subaru, and now the RL.....jeez:cool: PS. the emergency start battery worked like a charm this morning. I think I will leave it in the trunk. It just need to be recharged every three months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,620 Posts
Were your doors also open & interior lights on (or bed lights maybe)? I know I had a mini-van I had to put a toggle switch in to allow me to override the interior lights (I think they all have override switches now days). The good news with most vehicles now is that the interior lighting is excellent - but it pulls a bunch of juice over time.
If it's just the radio you had on (no lights), then I am surprised & will take heed. I agree a couple of hours is really disappointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
I went to the Patriots game a couple of Mondays ago and used my little 9" TV. We used it for about an hour with out starting the truck. After the hour I decided to run the truck a bit to charge the battery. To late. Would not start. I got a jump and ran it for a half hour.

Before the ridgeline I have used my wife's GMC Yukon XL to run the TV for approximately 2 hours and the thing started in the cold.

Do any trucks that come with power supplies in the bed cut the power before it drains?

Hey Honda, I want you to add a AC power supply in the bed and the cabin, add the cut off circuitry and an increase supply capacity to support them. How about a blinking LED at the outlet or blinking bed lights to warn of low power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
I did what shovelhd did. I killed my battery. Man!! they don't make them like they used to!! I left my ignition on for two hours and it killed the battery!! I went to Auto Zone and bought an emergency start battery. None of the doors were open. The radio and the panel lites were the only things that were on. This is the fourth time in two years someone had a dead battery, my wife's CRV twice (left the two map lites on overnite both times) my daughters Subaru, and now the RL.....jeez:cool: PS. the emergency start battery worked like a charm this morning. I think I will leave it in the trunk. It just need to be recharged every three months.
Now you guys are scaring me. My hubby likes to read in the car/truck when I'm driving and he's often left the light on. It hasn't made any difference in our Accord and it didn't matter in the TrailBLazer. They both have started (in the cold too, we DO live in MN).

Guess we'll have to be hypervigilant that he doesn't leave it on in the truck. WOnder if they just put a too small battery in there or something? (don't yell, I"m not a mechanic!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
I'M NOT A MECHANIC. :D

I ran mine on battery for more than 2 hours (less than 4) a couple of weeks ago to provide music (CDs) for a party and had no problem starting up the next morning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
802 Posts
I left one of the overhead map lights on from about 8 pm to 6 pm the day after I got mine. When I saw it in the morning, I figured I would have dead battery, but it started right up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Those little jumpstart emergency batteries are great. My wife runs a telescope off one of those things for hours and we don't have to leave the keys in the car to do it. We have two of them one for each of her scopes or one for the scope and one for the television if we are going to use the electronic eyepiece, they are great. For the price they are definitely worth having around, better than letting someone start their car off yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
I had nothing powered on but the radio. The windows were down on one side and tghe moonroof was open. That's it. I guess I'm used to Delco green eye batteries that you have to go out of your way to kill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I got one of those emergency start batteries for my daughter a couple of years ago. If I didn't recharge it at least every 3-4 weeks, it would go dead. Naturally we would forget, and it would fail her. The "battery's fault" of course.:cool: Have they really gotten that much better (recharge every 3 months)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
VaVet96 said:
I got one of those emergency start batteries for my daughter a couple of years ago. If I didn't recharge it at least every 3-4 weeks, it would go dead. Naturally we would forget, and it would fail her. The "battery's fault" of course.:cool: Have they really gotten that much better (recharge every 3 months)?
The instructions said to charge it 24 hrs initially. I charged it for 12 hours. At six in the morning, I determined the truck was still dead (batteries have been known to come alive overnite, but not in the cold apparently). So I unplugged the ESU (emergency start unit), hooked it up to my truck battery. OK, at this point I want to explain that all the instructions for jump starting will tell you to connect the negative to the engine block or the chassis ground, and not to the negative terminal of the battery. Well back in the old days, that applied more so, but that's another story. At this point, I had the ESU Red clamp hooked to the positive terminal of the battery, and the Black clamp to the negative terminal of the battery ( believe me there is nothing wrong with that). Then, I hollered to my wife, " honey! I need you out here!!!" she says "ok!! just a minute!!!" two minutes later, she comes out with an overcoat and gloves. Mind you, i'm in my shor"ts and tee shirt!!!, when she finally came out, I says to her. "hold on to that ESU, I don't want it falling over when I crank this mother!! and she quips, "ok honey, I got you covered......" it was a happy ending:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts
I just went and had some work done on my Ridge, today, while there I asked them if they did any work on it while they demo it around for 5k miles. Outside of adding all the neat stuff (like a trailer hitch, light hook up and running boards, interor metal trim & etc) the only thing they did was replace the battery. They claim the original one was defective. That was at 10 miles on the od. I like my jumper box I got for my birthday a few months ago. Yes you have to charge it first for at least 24 hours, then after every use, I've used it to inflate a tire (pump ran a total of 15 minutes) and then jump start a car all in the same day and charge, LED meter still showed 50% power left.... You can charge it while driving around off the power plug in the backseat.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Hmm. Guess I'll have to check the battery on ours and see what the amp rating is. I know you do need to be careful what you leave on in vehicles these days. There could be more items drawing off the battery than you think. I used to have an 86 Park Ave. Had it out at my gun club, doing some grounds work. Radio on and doors open. Kinda lost track of time, and after about 4 hours the radio was still working, but there wasn't enough current to turn the starter. I later realized that when the doors were open on that car, there were at least 14 (yes that's fourteen) interior lights on. As for the RL, if I'm not mistaken, IVAN is also running if the ingition is set to "accessories." Correct me if I'm wrong Ladyridge (she's my expert on the RL). Also, when you're listening to a sound system, the louder you turn the volumn, the more energy you're using.

As for using, really any vehicle, for remote power, including AC current with an inverter, I wonder if someone is going to come up with a set-up using a deep cell battery like in an RV instead of running the power outlet(s) off of the main battery. Assuming you have a place to "hide" the deep cell, it would seem to make sense. Then you don't have to worry about killing the main battery and not being able to turn the starter. Probably have to beef up the alternator too. Oh well, just thinkin' out loud, so to speak.

TT (aka Lady's Buck)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,043 Posts
Lady's Buck said:
As for using, really any vehicle, for remote power, including AC current with an inverter, I wonder if someone is going to come up with a set-up using a deep cell battery like in an RV instead of running the power outlet(s) off of the main battery. Assuming you have a place to "hide" the deep cell, it would seem to make sense. Then you don't have to worry about killing the main battery and not being able to turn the starter. Probably have to beef up the alternator too. Oh well, just thinkin' out loud, so to speak.
That's the setup of choice for those with the loud stereos. Use an Optima gel cell auxiliary battery to power the system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but if you leave the heated seat on HI that will drain the battery, even if the truck is running. The idea is to just keep it on HI until the seat warms up and then switch to LO.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,879 Posts
When needed, Sears Die Hard batteries have always been good replacements if it comes to that for me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,881 Posts
Toobuku said:
When needed, Sears Die Hard batteries have always been good replacements if it comes to that for me.
Hi Tony, We had the battery in our diesel generator die and its only 3yrs old, it was a Die-Hard. So we took it to Sears and we were told Die-Hard has not been a lifetime guarantied battery for years so we bought the Yellow-top Deep Cycle Optima with 3yrs plus extended coverage.:p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,879 Posts
5S Dude said:
Hi Tony, We had the battery in our diesel generator die and its only 3yrs old, it was a Die-Hard. So we took it to Sears and we were told Die-Hard has not been a lifetime guarantied battery for years so we bought the Yellow-top Deep Cycle Optima with 3yrs plus extended coverage.:p
It would appear that there reputation has fallen ever since that big law suite I guess? Plus my last 2 vehicles have had the origin batteries with them. The latest, to early to tell just bought it in July. The Last was a Mitsubishi Montero Sport I had for 7 years and not a problem ever with the battery or anything else.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top