Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have owned my RL for about a month now, one annoyance is the location of the dead pedal, it is much too close. Can't get comfortable on a long trip as the left leg is always bent and has no where to stretch. My 2000 Camry has a dead pedal that is located further away than the gas pedal and is great on a long trip.

Tried to pry up the cover on the dead pedal by putting a screwdriver in the slot, the only thing happening is the plastic is getting distorted.

Has anyone been successful in getting at the bolt that holds it in place? I'd like to see if I can't replace it with something lower.

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that thread but they are missing the critical step, how to remove it! Checked the service manual but it doesn't have anything on it.

Someone will know...

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
After driving a 5 speed for many years, I appreciate the foot rest. Gives you a place to put your foot when you don't have a clutch to deal with. Push to seat back, set the cruise, and enjoy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A dead pedal is a place to put your left foot while it isn't being used, not necessarily a safety feature. The intent is to remove the cover to see if it is possible to change the size/shape/position of the dead pedal. If I can, I'll remove the cover so it can be reused.

On this vehicle it is awkwardly placed. It actually interferes with the left foot. Not everyone is the same shape/size. I've never been in a vehicle with it higher than the gas pedal position. Weird.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with you Olyella. The dead pedal is poorly placed, and calling it a safety feature doesn't make it better designed. I would think that a month would be plenty of time to acknowledge a feature that you don't care for, but I am kinda funny that way. Unfortunatly I do not know how to remove it, and while my height makes it bug me as well, I have decided to not mess with it, as I know that the carpet is unfinished around it. If you come up with a viable better solution I am all ears! (and legs, apparantly)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Now, I've only driven a Ridge about 15 miles on a test drive, but I thought the placement was fine, and I'm 5' 11". It may be becasue I'm used to driving a sprotier car & tend to wedge myslef in (left foot keeping me against the right side seat bolster) for hard cornering. I've driven plenty of cars without a dead pedal and it makes me crazy-feel like I'm sliding all over the place especially on leather seats.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I removed it by placing a thick flat head screwdriver in the slot and twisting and prying it up. I built a new dead pedal and found it gave me a very marginal increase in distance due to the slope of the inner wheel well. With the new support being at an angle, it would also let my foot slide (my opinion, not Hondas or anyone elses), under the brake. I then re installed the old pedal and have grown used to it after 7000 miles. I frequently drive 600+ miles in 24 hours and have no problems with the OEM pedal. Like you, I thought I would but have not had a problem with it. I'm 6'4". Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's exactly the information I was looking for.

There was an earlier thread with a photo showing a rubber pad replacing the pedal and it had some funny angles. When I crawled under the dash, couldn't tell if anything I do will help, it does look like the foot will be forced towards the brake pedal. Honda cars are known for their front seat leg room, what happened? :)

I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam (short legs), bought this vehicle since my eyes can actually look under the rear view mirror when it is positioned all the way up and the seat is all the way down. A friend of mine is 6' 5", when he sits in my truck his eyes are actually an inch lower than mine.

You're probably right about modifying it, I just want to be able to put it back if things don't improve.

I'll keep prying...

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
scottIN said:
Now, I've only driven a Ridge about 15 miles on a test drive, but I thought the placement was fine, and I'm 5' 11". It may be becasue I'm used to driving a sprotier car & tend to wedge myslef in (left foot keeping me against the right side seat bolster) for hard cornering. I've driven plenty of cars without a dead pedal and it makes me crazy-feel like I'm sliding all over the place especially on leather seats.
Oh I agree with it being useful while cornering, just want it moved a little further back! During my test drive I was so impressed with everything else that it didn't bother me either.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
OlYella said:
Oh I agree with it being useful while cornering, just want it moved a little further back! During my test drive I was so impressed with everything else that it didn't bother me either.
During my test drive I thought this peddle was awkward, too. I said it was the only thing that "wasn't perfect". I was also used to my wife's Camry and my Civic where your leg is practically laid flat out. Now, after 7 months, I find myself propping my leg up in the Camry and I don't even notice the truck's pad anymore.

I'm 5'11 and 3/4 (ok, 6') with relatively long legs and arms and have found the perfect seat positioning with it lowered all the way and an orthopedic seat cushion. BTW, I would definitely recommend this seat cushion for only $30. No sore back on long trips!!!!

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/prod...&subcategory_code=512&search_type=subcategory

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am tall, so I removed the dead pedal. Just pry up the cover and unscrew the bolts and it comes off easily. You are left with 2 threaded posts. I covered these with carpet that closely matches the floor carpet. It has been about 2 months since this operation and everything is still looking good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts