Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that has always bugged me about new cars and the dealers, is they take a new off-the-truck vehicle and add some accessories. In my case, the truck I looked at and bought was rolled right off the truck, the service department inspected it (provided the new vehicle checklist to me), and then added mud flaps. Which was a $180 option(my cost was $150 based on buying this through Costco) added to the price. They will protect the side of the vehicle from rock chips and road oil being thrown up on the truck, but it's still the point of them adding something just to add a few bucks to their profit.

Now I'm not really complaining about the cost or the mud flaps. In the grand scheme of things, this is a nit in the price of this vehicle.

To me the issue is that here is a brand new $40,000+ vehicle, and the manufacturer didn't think or see the need to include these mud flaps on the vehicle, yet the dealer does? Certainly the dealership buys these mud flaps for $25, spends 1/2 hour to install them and expects $180, because they think everyone needs them!

Now after saying this, previously I had looked at a vehicle where the dealer had added on a $1000 undercoating, on top of the vehicle cost. The part that bothered me was this car was advertised as having a 10 year warranty against body rust through. When talking to the dealership, I said by them adding that undercoating, was the manufacturers warranty useless or worse could their applying the undercoating void the manufacturers 10 year warranty? The effectively told me they didn't want to do business with me! So call me the 'Add on Skeptic'.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I absolutely hate this. If I want an accessory, I will buy it.

This just comes down to them padding the profit on sales in a misleading way. They have realized they can make it work better than just raising the price. People go, well, I am getting something for my money, and just accept it.

When I got my Sport last week, I asked the dealer what the profit was on the "ProPack" which was basically wheel locks and mats. I said I would rather pay that, and not get the parts, than pay the full amount and get the parts. They had already installed the wheels locks, and I said I am happy to take them off and return them. They would not even do that!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I absolutely hate this. If I want an accessory, I will buy it.

This just comes down to them padding the profit on sales in a misleading way. They have realized they can make it work better than just raising the price. People go, well, I am getting something for my money, and just accept it.

When I got my Sport last week, I asked the dealer what the profit was on the "ProPack" which was basically wheel locks and mats. I said I would rather pay that, and not get the parts, than pay the full amount and get the parts. They had already installed the wheels locks, and I said I am happy to take them off and return them. They would not even do that!
at least the "propack" got us overpriced all weather mats, a trunk mat, and wheel locks lol. At another dealer I saw they were throwing in $400 window etching on top of their other BS items. PLUS you had to pay another $200 for etch registration. totaling to $1200 in add-ons. When I saw the $600 pro pack with the 3 physical items listed, I felt much less ripped off even though it is all a rip off.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
When I bought my 2018 RTL-E we had already negotiated the value of my 2012 RTL and the 'out the door' price of my new truck. The truck was actually on another dealership lot and it took a couple of days for them to get it in. The dealership called me to let me know they had my new truck, but the original dealership had already added an OEM sunroof deflector and pin striping to it. I told them "no problem, remove the deflector, peel off the pin striping and make sure there were no dealership decals on it and I'd pick it up the next day at the agreed upon price." When I picked it up the deflector and pin striping were still on it, they said it wasn't worth the trouble to remove them so they were free. I actually like the pin striping, so it's still on the truck, I removed the deflector and sold it for $50 on eBay.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I understand the point of adding in a little profit, but this to me is the most annoying thing about Honda in general. Having always purchased other makes before about 6 years ago, I never dealt with this phenomenon. I have since purchased 3 Honda's, only 1 ended up being new. The 10+ Honda dealerships I have dealt with trying to find the best deal all had added at least something on top of the sticker price. It is part of the reason I ended up with a year old RL instead of new because I was tired of getting yanked around by dealers and their add ons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
To me the issue is that here is a brand new $40,000+ vehicle, and the manufacturer didn't think or see the need to include these mud flaps on the vehicle, yet the dealer does? Certainly the dealership buys these mud flaps for $25, spends 1/2 hour to install them and expects $180, because they think everyone needs them!
Manufacturers don’t add these because they never know what you may add on. Maybe you’ll do a full running board that has front mud guard built in. Many don’t even want them on...by the rocks I see flying around everywhere.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I recently was working with Team Honda in NW Indiana on a 2021 BE Ridgeline. The dealer I prefer was struggling to get one (shipments not showing up), so I started looking elsewhere.

Price looked good, and they said they would honor the online price... asked for a quote.

Online price showed MSRP, a discount of about 8%.

Quote showed up... that was indeed the price. Though they then added destination charges back in (which would have been part of the sticker price). A couple different Doc fees, and the usual security etching bullshit.

The online salesperson was almost sheepish about sending the quote, but said “these are moving so fast we can’t keep them in stock).

As of yesterday... it’s still on the lot. I called them out on it and now on their website all of the MSRP’s are inflated (and over true MSRP).

As soon as I see window etching, at any dealer I’m done. I don’t want it, I don’t want it thrown in. I see that dealer as being even more of a scam artist than most of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You have to know, to the penny exactly how much you are willing to spend and stick to it. Calculate the sales tax and look up the MV fees ahead of time. Total, out the door price is the only number you should ever be discussing. Then when you get the crap about, "its already on the vehicle" you can say, "either take it off or find me one without it." If you're being fair and allowing the dealer to make a reasonable profit, you should be able to get your price without paying for stupidness you don't want. There are plenty of online resources to help you make a pretty good estimation of the dealer's true profit on the vehicle. Part of the "reasonable profit" calculation has to take the specific vehicle demand/supply situation into account.

VW started doing this years ago with nonsense like rubber floor mats, first aid kits and the like. The dealer adds these as "port installed options", they are added to the sticker and the dealer will tell you that they can't be removed because they are part of the MSRP. By negotiating OTD pricing, that is irrelevant. They have either back the cost of that crap out of the price or you walk away. But you have to be willing to walk away. Many buyers are not. That's why this stuff not only endures but seems to be growing.

My experience buying the Ridgeline was the absolute worst car buying experience I have ever had, hands down. I got my price in the end, but the process was way too long and painful. It's so stupid on their part. I paid the price I offered at the outset but instead of me walking away happy, I will not only never buy another vehicle from this dealer but will share my opinion with others. I only endured the process as long as I did because I had a unique and short-lived incentive from my employer if I replaced my vehicle before March 1. Otherwise this purchase never would have happened.

Oddly enough, it's also the first car purchase I have ever made where I did not receive any kind of survey from the manufacturer within a couple weeks. Other manufacturers at least pretend they care whether the buyer is happy. Honda, not so much.

I'll probably keep the RL for a very long time, but replace it as my daily in about 5 years. Doubt very highly I will be walking into a Honda showroom when that day comes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have to know, to the penny exactly how much you are willing to spend and stick to it. Calculate the sales tax and look up the MV fees ahead of time. Total, out the door price is the only number you should ever be discussing. Then when you get the crap about, "its already on the vehicle" you can say, "either take it off or find me one without it." If you're being fair and allowing the dealer to make a reasonable profit, you should be able to get your price without paying for stupidness you don't want. There are plenty of online resources to help you make a pretty good estimation of the dealer's true profit on the vehicle. Part of the "reasonable profit" calculation has to take the specific vehicle demand/supply situation into account.

VW started doing this years ago with nonsense like rubber floor mats, first aid kits and the like. The dealer adds these as "port installed options", they are added to the sticker and the dealer will tell you that they can't be removed because they are part of the MSRP. By negotiating OTD pricing, that is irrelevant. They have either back the cost of that crap out of the price or you walk away. But you have to be willing to walk away. Many buyers are not. That's why this stuff not only endures but seems to be growing.

My experience buying the Ridgeline was the absolute worst car buying experience I have ever had, hands down. I got my price in the end, but the process was way too long and painful. It's so stupid on their part. I paid the price I offered at the outset but instead of me walking away happy, I will not only never buy another vehicle from this dealer but will share my opinion with others. I only endured the process as long as I did because I had a unique and short-lived incentive from my employer if I replaced my vehicle before March 1. Otherwise this purchase never would have happened.

Oddly enough, it's also the first car purchase I have ever made where I did not receive any kind of survey from the manufacturer within a couple weeks. Other manufacturers at least pretend they care whether the buyer is happy. Honda, not so much.

I'll probably keep the RL for a very long time, but replace it as my daily in about 5 years. Doubt very highly I will be walking into a Honda showroom when that day comes.
My recent purchase was probably about the best buying experience I've had in a long time. I was quoted a trade-in value before I walked in the door, and the salesperson quoted me a price about $3,500 below the sticker (and the add on for the mud-flaps) before they even knew my trade-in value, but as I said this was before I went to the dealership. It really does make a huge difference if you go into the dealer knowing these numbers, and if you don't know the numbers from a dealer, I'd say go to a different dealer. Yes, we drove 90 miles to the dealer we used, because I didn't have a positive experience with the local dealer and another dealer 35 miles away. We did purchase this vehicle through our Costco membership, but in all honesty, I believe the price they quoted would have been the same from this dealership regardless of Costco pricing or not. The Costco discount did provide for 15% off the mud-flaps, and I went ahead and bought the Honda weather type mats, as with the discount it was cheaper than WeatherTech mats which I had always bought for my other trucks.

The only place I had the typical hard sell was the 'finance guy', and of course he's pushing the Ceramic coating and the extended warranty, telling you the typical costs to repair a with today's equipment.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-T
39 Posts
A few thoughts.

Of course its about money. They want to bolster profit. They aren't in the business to not make a buck.

Major Accessories installed at thw factory are going to be more reliable than those integrated afterwards. The more complex, the more problems that may arise. Sun and moon roofs that were installed by dealers or shops tended to leak more. Now they are best available as a factory option with no corners cut in their installation.

I have also seen the finance guy at the dealership as the one that tries to push add ons like the ceramic coating. Strangely when I inquired after some of the lower cost accessory items, my local dealer didn't have any in stock. I'd have been more likely to buy some bits if they'd been there or even shown off.

Seems like a display case or cabinet with some of the accessories would be a way of tickling customer's interest.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
176 Posts
When i bought mine it hadn't been prepped yet. Honda installed the running boards and roof rack at the factory. (a good way to get unwanted stuff out of inventory) My dealer said we do all cars with window etching, door edge protectors, mud flaps, paint protection under the door handles, and a Pulse blinking 3rd brake light. I simply stated I did not want any of this crap, and I'll go somewhere else. They agreed to NOT do the B/S and just put a hard cover on the bed, which I wanted anyway.

When I picked it up, mud flaps, door edge guards were installed, and paint protection film was under the door handles. but they didn't charge me for it. The door handle film had air bubbles in it, enough that I simply peeled it off and threw it away. These dealers are going back to the 80's when this stuff was common.

·
Registered
'17 RTL-T
39 Posts
When I bought my insight previously back in 2010, it was the second car I bought from the dealer. We haggled to a price and I asked for fog lights installed, the tonneau cover over the back cargo area and the rubber floor mats. The sales dude went off to check and came back with a "DEAL!". I was happy and they installed the fog lights for free. I was happy they were happy. It's all part of the haggling.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Funny, the F&I guy didn't try to sell me a thing, though he really put the couple in his office before me through the meat grinder. Watching through the glass was entertaining. He kept waving an ABS pump in front of them, presumably to sell an extended warranty. They looked dazed when they came out.

I'm sure I got labeled as a "mooch" after the grind with the initial deal but that's fine by me. It saved me time with F&I once they accepted that I was a lost cause. In the end, it was a fair deal for them or they wouldn't have sold me the truck. They could have saved an awful lot of time and enmity by just dealing with me straight from the outset.

New car dealers are an endangered species anyway. Their franchise sales model is very obsolete and only endures due to the legal protection is enjoys. That won't last forever.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
To shorten the story, early 2019 our "new" car at the time was purchased in 2001. We really were not in the market for a new vehicle, but I became intrigued with the Ridgeline and had a little fun pricing out Sports within a 200 mile radius. Then we dropped in on our local dealer to get a first hand eyeball on a Ridgeline but they had no Sports, but since we really were not looking to buy anyways that just made walking away all the easier. However, the sales representative threw us a curve ball by offering us an RTL for well under what all of those other dealerships within 200 miles were asking for their Sports and at my total surprise my typically cautious and miserly wife jumped in and said we would take it, (Boy did she get a funny look from me!) Anyways, only after owning our Ridgeline for a while did we realize that the mud flaps, floor mats, and some other accessories, had been "thrown in!"

Bill

Added note, another dastardly thing that our dealer pulled on us was they never once tried to hook us by offering it would only cost us XXX dollars per month, at which time we would have also walked away!

bill

1 - 20 of 31 Posts