Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am FREAKING OUT right now, any help or advice would be appreciated. I looked under the hood today and there is a huge gaping hole in my engine, not a car guy so after an internet search determined that the oil cap is what is missing.

The local honda dealership changes my oil. I checked the remaining oil life and there is 30% left, which means i've been driving around like this for THOUSANDS of miles. WTF!??!?!!! I am BEYOND pissed. I went to the dealership and service department is closed because its sunday. I'm going there tomorrow.

How do I know that this hasn't caused engine damage which i won't notice until years from now? How do I know nothing got in the hole while i have been driving? What should I ask them to do to my car? Are there any tests that can be done?

Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,377 Posts
Any autoparts store should have an oil cap, then I'd check the dipstick and fill with 5w-20 or 0w-20(both are approved oils for your vehicle. 5w-20 should be cheaper.

Also and most importantly, take lots of pics, I would doubt any thing "got down in there". Maybe if you can convince them this is there fault, they can inspect with a 'borescope'.

I'm guessing there is oil all over the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are the only ones who have touched this engine, so it is DEFINITELY their fault, i won't have to convince them of anything.

Thanks for the advice, i'm not going to touch anything. The dealership is literally right down the street from me. Will go there in the morning, I'm just wondering what i should ask them to do, besides replace the oil cap and put more oil in. Any way of knowing whether this incident has caused damage to the engine?

There is only some oil around where the actual hole is. No oil anywhere around the engine at all.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Unless you drive in extreme conditions (dust, water, snow) you're probably OK. I wouldn't think anything got into the engine except under extreme conditions. That section of the motor is most likely under positive pressure so it wont typically "suck" stuff into the valve train.

I would ask the dealer to register the problem in their service system (write up a service ticket which you read and sign) and also give you a "free" oil change.

Please note that the dealer may not just take your word for it that they left the cap off since it has been awhile since you were last in for an oil change. I would suggest being "nice but concerned" as your best chance of having them take responsibility.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

What will registering a service ticket do for me essentially? It is an 07 so not under warranty.

I'm still shocked at how something like this would happen, but i'll keep my cool when i go talk to them

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Registering it the system will create a record if you ever have to come back with a damaged engine and ask for some sort of help from them since they may have helped cause the damage. It is a long shot, but at least the info will be there in case the dealership personnel change.

Most likely they are going to write a ticket for an oil change, and add the comments that the cap was left off last time ...please replace. Check your ticket to be sure they don't charge you for a new cap.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'd demand an oil analysis be done (Blackstone Labs etc) and watch as they change the oil and take the sample. That's just me.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,871 Posts
I had a Ford dealership do that on a Mustang we owned years ago. There was oil all over the hood pad. They sorta cleaned it up, but it was messy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Unless you drive in extreme conditions (dust, water, snow) you're probably OK. I wouldn't think anything got into the engine except under extreme conditions. That section of the motor is most likely under positive pressure so it wont typically "suck" stuff into the valve train.

I would ask the dealer to register the problem in their service system (write up a service ticket which you read and sign) and also give you a "free" oil change.

Please note that the dealer may not just take your word for it that they left the cap off since it has been awhile since you were last in for an oil change. I would suggest being "nice but concerned" as your best chance of having them take responsibility.
I agree with the "nice but concerned" attitude. There has been a lot of time since the oil change and the service department is not likely to believe that you never opened the hood since the it was serviced. If you go in with guns a blaz:act060:ing they are likely to dig their heels in and not do a thing for you. You don't have much push with a '07 and only going in there for an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,871 Posts
I'd think a fresh oil change and a request for an oil analysis is reasonable. Was the oil level actually low?

I bet you will always check the cap after an oil change from now on. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
It'd be nice if they'd do an oil analysis for you, but it's probably not necessary. It'll also be hard to prove to them that they are the ones who left the oil cap off. It probably WAS an innocent mistake on their part during the last oil change, but there's no way to prove that it wasn't you who forgot to put the cap back on after topping it off with oil. I know that YOU know you didn't do it, but just consider it from their perspective, also. They can't prove innocence and you can't prove guilt, not for something that happened months ago. There's nothing that can be done now -- it's already happened.

Personally, I'd kindly ask them to put a new oil fill cap on it and it'd be nice if they threw in this oil change for free, but that's about as far as I'd go with it.

·
Administrator
17,202 Posts
That section of the motor is most likely under positive pressure so it wont typically "suck" stuff into the valve train.
Due to the PCV system, there is always a slight negative pressure (vacuum) under the valve covers and crankcase. The only time there should be a positive pressure there is if the PCV system has completely failed and the engine is so worn that you're getting lots of blow-by.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

What will registering a service ticket do for me essentially? It is an 07 so not under warranty.

I'm still shocked at how something like this would happen, but i'll keep my cool when i go talk to them
I have an 07 as well. Documenting my low Power Steering fluid saved me the cost of a power steering rack that was replaced out of warranty because of their "look back" into the history/documentation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts