Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a beautiful RTL E, but as I have been through the dealers BS on service programs what is the opinion on the pre-paid service programs. It seems the dealers are pushing this really hard to capture your upfront $$$ for a an over priced oil change in a few years. As I hate to admit this, we bought a maintenance program on our CRV. but just hate to give in do these guys.......So are other happy RL owners doing ?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Re: Dealer maintenance

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a beautiful RTL E, but as I have been through the dealers BS on service programs what is the opinion on the pre-paid service programs. It seems the dealers are pushing this really hard to capture your upfront $$$ for a an over priced oil change in a few years. As I hate to admit this, we bought a maintenance program on our CRV. but just hate to give in do these guys.......So are other happy RL owners doing ?
thats a new one to me. but i have only owned one new (with 4 wheels) vehicle in all my life. I do my own work so I would not even let them finish that sentence.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Always a bad deal. You're going to pre-pay at a "discounted" already high rate plus you're locked into all maintenance at that dealership. I try to only have the dealership do warranty or recall service - otherwise I do routine maintenance myself or use a local shop I trust.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
531 Posts

I haven't heard of many members going for the prepaid service plan but a fair number have opted for an extended warranty. The best deal seems to be through Hyannis Honda.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Purchased several Hondas from Los Gatos Honda, took the vehicles there for many years for service. They moved and 25 miles away and changed their name to South Bay Honda. Not convenient and I was not that happy with the value received.

I discovered a great independent shop Acura Honda Connection specializing in those brands. Great group, they are very straight with me, if my car needs something they tell me if it can go for a while they tell me. All my family and friends with Honda's now go there and are all just as happy as me. Far less expensive, my wife's Accord now has 240,000 on the odo, we have an 06 Civic with more than that on it and I just sold my 06 Ridge with 190000 on it. Any of these I would not hesitate to have jumped in on a moments notice and drive across country.

My cars now only see the dealership for warranty or recalls.

The 13 RTL- Nav I just purchase came from a dealer in Arizona. One of the things that irked me a bit was over $200 dollars to service the tires. A program called Nitrofill. I service aircraft tires daily, there is a cost for the bottled gas, we charge $3.75 for the Nitrogen per service. I purchase my tires at Costco they use Nitrogen and do not charge for it.
Nitrogen does have some advantages over compressed air, but to charge this much is certainly more a profit driven program.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I second the Honda Care put of Hyannis Honda on Cape Cod. Dealer wanted $1800 for extended Honda Care coverage (6 years, 80,000) up frot when I bought the Ridgeline. He was going to make it part of the loan! I researched the internet and this site and found a few dealerships that provided the Honda Care. I went with Hyannis for the same 6 years, 80,000 miles for $725. You have until 6,000 miles to sign up for Honda Care. Check them out on the web.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Our 2009 CRV has 60k mi on it. In 8 yrs all it's needed was 1 set of brake pads, annual engine and cabin filters, and oil changes per the oil % indicator. I did just change the trans fluid and rear diff fluid as preventative maintenance. All performed by myself.

My RL will receive the same treatment.

Just pay a you got with maintenance. You don't need a program, nor do you need the nonsense they "claim" is needed per every 5,000-10,000 miles.

Dealers make the majority of their money on 2 things. Prepaid items in the Finance office and Service dept. nonsense.

Find a private mechanic that you build a relationship with and trust. Dealers and commercial garages have no invested interested in you or your vehicle. Things can go wrong real fast and they just shrug it off.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts

Always a bad deal. You're going to pre-pay at a "discounted" already high rate plus you're locked into all maintenance at that dealership. I try to only have the dealership do warranty or recall service - otherwise I do routine maintenance myself or use a local shop I trust.
Just a correction. If it is Honda Care maintenance, you can take it to "any" Honda dealer. You can also transfer it to the next owner (for a $50 fee). I purchased it. It is always good on CarFax and resale to show that it had its maintenance performed at the proper schedules and by a Honda Service Department. So, it's worth it to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Sorry, I misread this thread and thought it was about extended warranty. My bad...

Just a correction. If it is Honda Care maintenance, you can take it to "any" Honda dealer. You can also transfer it to the next owner (for a $50 fee). I purchased it. It is always good on CarFax and resale to show that it had its maintenance performed at the proper schedules and by a Honda Service Department. So, it's worth it to me.
Might add, I traded in my 2010 RTL with 19,000 miles and 4 months left on the extended Honda Care Warranty. Since trading the vehicle with a dealer, the HCW could not be transferred to the next purchaser (the reading of the contract for the 2010 warranty, private transfer, no problem). So I called HCW and asked if there was any rebate for the unused portion of my warranty. They were great, sent me the paperwork to fill out and within 2 weeks I got a check for over $200 for the unused portion! Needless to say with the new BE I bought and all of it's electronics I price matched the price of the warranty that I could have bought on the internet with my dealer. I'm a believer in the Honda Care Warranty!

Side note, the dealer (biggest in Kansas City MO) really didn't want to sell the HCW. They had their own "private label" brand they wanted to sell me at a substantial higher cost with less benefits.

·
Super Moderator
4,724 Posts

Personally, I would not "bite" on the Honda Care maintenance. I believe the Honda plans have a limit of 5 years for around $800.
*Honda will NOT pay to change the oil BEFORE the MM alerts you. With the Honda plan you will not get the routine oil changes at 3,500 or 5,000 miles unless the MM has that code.
*The expensive maintenance will not occur during the coverage time of the maintenance plan.
*Additional Maintenance Items listed under Special Operating Conditions in the Schedule Maintenance Guide are NOT covered.

"Routine maintenance is the key to
keeping your Honda running at peak
performance. Honda Care® Maintenance™
makes it easier for you to keep up with
your vehicle’s service routine. Purchase
Honda Care Maintenance and when
the Maintenance Minder™ Indicator lights
up
, the required services listed in the
owner’s manual will be covered.1
And since coverage is prepaid, you
never need to worry about paying more
if labor or parts costs go up. Offering
benefits like oil changes, tire rotation,
filter and fluid replacements, as well as
a multi-point inspection, Honda Care
Maintenance is the convenient way to
keep your Honda running at its best."

It is a convenience and maybe some would prefer going that route. I bought a maintenance plan for my wife's 2012 Camry Hybrid that lasted 3 years beyond the normal 2-yr Toyota Care maintenance plan. It did include roadside assistance. I don't really think I saved much money, but it was nice to walk out of the dealership without any out of pocket.

·
Registered
155 Posts

I personally like having the freedom to take my truck anywhere I want for service. Depending on my schedule I might go to my local Firestone or the Honda dealer if I feel like it. I can't see any reason to pay for maintenance in advance.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

The price cost of an oil change is about the same as if I was to DIY with the price of "0W20" at the local store, so I've decided to have mine done at dealer.(paper trail):nerd:

·
Registered
458 Posts

I would never go for a prepaid plan but will try my dealer for the oil change as I was pleasantly surprised by the $56 they charge to do so. Here a 5L jug of synthetic goes for over $50 so essentially you get a free filter and work done for $0. What irks me is things like "we checked your pollen filter and it needs to be changed" normally any customer will say yes go ahead. Problem is the filter costs around $15 for an aftermarket and takes 5 mins to change but they normally get you for close to $100. Live and learn they say, so very true.

·
Registered
105 Posts

My dealer attempted the mandatory upsell portion of the delivery song and dance and asked, "you're going to get the Honda care package aren't you?". I reminded him that my truck is leased so a service paper trail for resale is meaningless to me and that I enjoy doing my own non warrantty work. I mentioned that I have a lift in one of the grages :smile: . I also mentioned that I keep receipts and generally take a photo or two documenting all service work I've done. It doesn't matter whether I own the car or lease the car because all my cars get the exact same attention. I smiled when his sales pitch ended and announced that I would not be a player for the Honda maintenance package.
My dealer laughed and said, "I'd pass too if I had a large garage with a lift and all your tools'. I think the upsell portion of my transaction lasted about ten minutes. We both actually had a good time.
Never forget that you can have basic scheduled service done by any licensed automotive shop or if you have the time, by you, for a bunch less money than what the dealer needs to charge. Scheduled service not being performed by Honda will not affect your new car warranty. Just keep detailed records.
As a post script, my first service maintenance is included by my dealership.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts

There are advantages both ways, and it depends on your cash flow and type ownership. As said above, if it is a lease, who cares. If you purchase it, it depends on what you want your vehicle to reflect and how to handle your cash. Buying the maintenance agreement allows you to finance all of your services and you don't take a big hit per service call. A wise banker will say you are paying maybe 3% interest... but that is offset by inflation increasing the cost of those services over that period. So, it depends whether you need that cash flow. If you are diligent, you could just as easily stuff a $12 bill in a piggy bank each month or so and hope the service cost doesn't increase dramatically (which it most likely won't).

As for Honda or not. I prefer to do it this way (just my way). I like the routine on the Car Fax report. Not all service centers are a Car Fax participants. And if you do it yourself, you are definitely not. So when you print your reports and look at the header of the Car Fax it may say "This car is worth $nnnn more than average"... then I attribute that to various things like this.

I'm also very busy... and very lazy (more the latter). The less I have to deal with and think about things, the better the reward is for me. If adjusting for inflation, it doesn't cost me any more, I'll buy the convenience. Ok so it raised my monthly the same as if I had to do it out of pocket. But now I have a bargaining tool if I sell it myself, by telling the next person "Hey I have this, and it can transfer".

I love the idea of doing it myself, always have enjoyed it... until it is time to do it, then I get pissed that I don't have time and it has now become a chore. Especially Transmission Fluid (and Brake Fluid, and perhaps even the Differential Fluid). All of these are in the agreement.

And lastly, every time I take it in for servicing, that is when I tell the dealer I have issues. That is when they can look them over and my life is less impacted.

But money is money. If you are good at budgeting and you can find materials or labor cheaper, then absolutely. Each person has different needs. I think you will find after you add it all up, it's a wash. Honda likes it, because they bank the money (and it is cash flow for them)... it earns interest for them, and they also hope you will miss a few or sell the vehicle. But in the end, if used as it is designed, it's not that bad.

·
Super Moderator
4,724 Posts

There are advantages both ways, and it depends on your cash flow and type ownership. As said above, if it is a lease, who cares. If you purchase it, it depends on what you want your vehicle to reflect and how to handle your cash. Buying the maintenance agreement allows you to finance all of your services and you don't take a big hit per service call. A wise banker will say you are paying maybe 3% interest... but that is nulled (canceled) by your set cost of inflation increasing the cost of those services over that period. So, it depends whether you need that cash flow. If you are diligent, you could just as easily stuff a $12 bill in a piggy bank each month or so and hope the service cost doesn't increase dramatically (which it most likely won't).

As for Honda or not. I prefer to do this way (just my way). I like the routine on the Car Fax report. Not all service centers are a Car Fax participants. And if you do it yourself, you are definitely not. So when you print your reports and look at the header of the Car Fax says if it says "This car is worth $nnnn more that average"... then I attribute that to various things like this.

I'm also very busy... and very lazy (more the latter). The less I have to deal with and think about things, the better the reward is for me. If adjusting for inflation, it doesn't cost me any more, I'll buy the convenience, ok so it raised my monthly the same as if I had to do it out of pocket. But now I have a bargaining tool if I sell it myself, by telling the next person "Hey I have this, and it can transfer".

I love the idea of doing it myself, always have enjoyed it... until it is time to do it, then I get pissed that I don't have time and it has now become a chore. Especially Transmission Fluid, and Brake Fluid, and perhaps even the Differential Fluid.

And lastly, every time I take it in for servicing, that is when I tell the dealer I have issues. That is when they can look them over and my life is less impacted.

But money is money. If you are good at budgeting and you can find materials or labor cheaper, then absolutely... go for it. Each person has different needs. I think you will find after you add it all up, it's a wash. Honda likes it, because they take the money and bank it... it earns interest for them, and they also hope you will miss a few or sell the vehicle. But in the end, if used as it is designed, it's not that bad.
I like your point about the Carfax. Our Toyota dealer does not participate in Carfax, so I use "MyCarfax.com" to enter service records into the database. Our Honda, Hyundai, and Subaru dealers do participate.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I think an oil change at my dealer runs around $35.00. From what I remember the only expensive maintenance items on my last RL were the 60,000 mile service and the timing belt at 100,000. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

·
Registered
242 Posts

I think an oil change at my dealer runs around $35.00. From what I remember the only expensive maintenance items on my last RL were the 60,000 mile service and the timing belt at 100,000. Other than that it was smooth sailing.
$35 is indeed cheap for it being changed, Honda oil and filter included. Absolutely.

This issue with me lays in the fact too many additional issues happen at the dealer/shop (myself, friends, family included)...

-strip the the drain plug or oil pan
-don't tighten the drain plug/filter
-don't fill to proper level
-dirty/damage the interior
-dirty/damage the exterior

...that's just oil changes

$35 gets expensive real fast. No worth it IMO if you have the means to do your own maintenance. Too many sloppy/IDGAF attitudes of technicians

1 - 20 of 31 Posts