Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My dealer was telling me about a sealant they apply to the paint to protect it. I can't remember the name of it right now. I was wondering what most of you did when the dealer started talking about doing that? Is it needed? Did you get it?

Thanks

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think is was Xzilon. He said they put it on airplanes. Anybody get it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothin' more than extra dealer profit, and there's no guarantee they'll actually put it on. I was a salesman for a dealer about 11 years ago and we pushed a similar product. 3/4 of the time it was never applied; onlay a extra wash and spif!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Xzilon is a good product, in our opinion. Google it and read reports on it for yourself. One of the reasons that we chose to go ahead and have xzilon applied was that don't have a lot of time to do upkeep on our vehicles. Xzilon is like any other sealant product in the respect that it is a sealant, not a coat of armor. It does help with protecting, for a while, but it isn't the end all be all forever (what is?). Also, I think that dealerships are doing a great disservice in having their finance guy offer this because one really needs to understand what limitations are placed on your vehicle once you have Xzilon put on it. There are certain waxes, etc. that you want to avoid.

We paid $349 to have the Ridge coated. We also have premium floor mats in addition to the standard rubber ones. Those were done as well. So far I am pleased, I had a fair amount of water go on a fabric floor mat and it beaded right up and didn't sink in. With washing it and rain, water is beading up beautifully. The way I look at it, comprehensive details around here are appromixately $150 or so, and this probably will take the place of 3 or 4 of those, so I felt ok about my purchase.

Just my .02 worth.

Oh, by the way, the dealership originally tried to sell me Xzilon for $700!!!!! I told them to get real, named my price, struck a deal and moved on.

To each their own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I paid $350 for mine and it comes with a interior and exterior guarantee against staining for 3 or 5 years.
I paint a lot so the interior guarantee against oil based stains was cool. The product is Resist All by Cal-Tex protective coatings, inc Schertz Texas.
I did not pay the $1,000 normal price.
I had a similar coating on my '99 Acura TL and have been happy with the results.
I would buy it again with a new car for $350.
1,700 miles on my rtl navi and loving it. I finally redlined it today getting on the freeway. Drives like a BMW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone ever heard of a product called Final Seal? I bought my car thru the credit union buying service and this is something that they do. So far they have got me a great deal on everything but my sister in law's detailer says Final Seal is a waste (for some reasons already mentioned here i.e. they dont even apply it....)

The name is too generic to find on Google (all I found was the monster makeup sealer Final Seal) so wondering if anyone heard of it. Supposed to be interior and exterior as well.

Will be asking the credit union for the details on it before taking the plunge - plan to drive my RL til the wheels fall off so would like to keep it looking nice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I would update everybody on what I ended up doing. The Ridgeline is actually a company vehicle and a lease so we put Xzilon on it. I decided to go ahead and put it on my wife's new Pilot too since we have 2 young ones.

Well, this weekend we went on a drive in the Ridgeline and I hit a few bugs on the way home Saturday night. I didn't get around to it until Sunday night but decided I should see about getting the guts off my truck. I went out there with a soft damp cloth and they wiped right off without hardly any effort. So far I gotta say I'm glad the company put it on. When the Pilot gets some on it, I'm sure I'll be glad all over again.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
17 Posts
This may be not a reply but to whom this may concern:

My silver RL is new- zooming down here on hawaiian roads. I did not have it rustproofed or paint sealed yet. Do I have to?

Aloha

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
corazon quiamas said:
This may be not a reply but to whom this may concern:

My silver RL is new- zooming down here on hawaiian roads. I did not have it rustproofed or paint sealed yet. Do I have to?

Aloha
It isn't like you get a ton of rain or snow, however, you do have salt water blowing in from the water that is all around you and this can cause rust problems. Basic rust proofing is done to all Ridgelines as I understand it, and this should be sufficient in most cases. Due to your proximity to the ocean however, you may want to look around at other Honda vehicles that are 5 to 10 years old and see how they have held up, if they are showing rust spots it may be a good idea to add supplemental protection to your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
corazon quiamas said:
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate.

Aloha
Hey corazon quiamas, Post some photos of your Ridge next to some swaying palm trees with the white sandy beach as a backdrop......Thanks:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts