Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After researching the full size spare question for my '09 RTS on this forum and receiving some excellent advice from Al Nuggs (thanks AL), I went to my dealer this morning with an OEM alloy wheel and the TPMS parts to have them build my spare with OEM rubber I purchased from the dealer. The service rep came out to tell me they didn't see the point to putting TPMS in the spare because the onboard computer will only recognize 4 sensors. If I had to put on the spare I would still need to go to the dealer before the new TPMS would register. It was his opinion that it would be cheaper for me to have the flat fixed and put it back on the RL.

My follow-up question was to ask if there was a charge to reinitialize TPMS when I have the tires rotated. The answer was the it only needs to be initialized when a new TPMS is introduced to the vehicle.

So I guess I shoulda saved a few bucks by not purchasing the TPMS and gone with the steel wheel. Oh well. I'm open to suggestions on what to do with the TPMS (PN# 42753-SHJ-A53). Should I put it on ebay (what good is just one :confused:) or keep it as a spare if I have one go bad?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Tim

Check out this post before you go and do anything you may regret.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32287

Perhaps the service writer spoke too soon...
And besides that, you can have that tire assembled at any garage.

I still have not mounted my FS spare so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I did not spend $35 for the TPMS sensor, were as I could have spent 50 cents for a valve stem.

If I was not so darn lazzy I would put the FS spare on just to see it it does works

Al

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Al for the link. I was actually following that thread but still wasn't sure if the answer applied to the RTS or not. I think I'll keep the sensor until the jury is in with a definitive answer. I wouldn't knock yourself out to try out that spare. The changes in 2009 are relatively new and the answers will reveal themselves. I just thought I should post what the dealer was telling me. Sometimes I wonder how much they really know. On the bright side, this rep actually drives an '06 RL so at least he's familiar with the vehicle. I asked and he was also familiar with the ROC, but admitted he usually just checks in on the towing threads.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask if his '06 requires reinitializing.
I did ask and he said "no". He said Honda changed the RL TPMS design in '09 but couldn't be more specific. :act002:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I did not put the TPMS on my spare as I can live with the TPMS light if I need the spare ( it is not on the donut spare either ).

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, in the spirit of testing him, I asked what if I had to use my new spare without TPMS, would I still be able to disable VSA. He didn't know and said he'd have to get back to me on that. I'm not really knowledgeable in this area, just know what I've read on these forums and I did read that VSA is always on when the TPMS light is lit. I'm anxious to see how long it takes to get that answer. :act010:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did not put the TPMS on my spare as I can live with the TPMS light if I need the spare ( it is not on the donut spare either ).
Good point that it isn't on the donut either.

This is my first vehicle with TPMS. The whole point in getting the full size spare for me was because we will be towing a travel trailer and I'm not one to take chances. I didn't know if there were any other side effects with the TPMS light on. Sometimes I over-think these things. :act029:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts