Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Anyone use any dealers around the Freehold, Eatontown area that they liked. I have been watching and learning on this great board for awhile now and am ready to pull the trigger, I also emailed one in Sea Girt and also Lakewood. Any advice?

I am going with a RTL w/Nav and backup camera. I figure I may as well get it loaded up since my last new truck is a 1990 Amigo that I still use once in a while.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
Chris,

Go see Jimmy Kavanaugh at Coast Honda in Sea Girt. I went to Freehold and Eatontown first (both closer to my home in Colts Neck), then was recommended to see Jimmy at Coast. Great salesman and nice dealership. It was worth the extra 10 minute drive.

Jay

·
Registered
112 Posts
I shopped around and shopped around! I have bought Honda's from Bob Last name pronounced "To main E" Spelling??? at Coast Honda on Rt35 in Wall/ Sea Girt. He is a no nonesense sales person.

I just got my Ridgeline from David Michael in Freehold as they gave me an excellent price over the phone. I was afraid of using them as they appear pompus in nature but they have been nothing short of excellent.

The places that tried hard to rip me off totally were Lakewood Honda, Toms River Honda and Causway Honda down south in Manahawkin. I think two of the dealerships are Bob Casuli dealerships and in the past I think they were fined pretty heavily for false advertising or bait and switch....something like that.

The dealer in Eatontown also tried to sell to me at a ridiculous price. I spent months looking around and those dealers bring back some terrible memories.

Like I said earlier, go to Bob Tumani at Coast Honda or over to David Michael in Freehold. I called David Michael and got a great price over the phone and they did not high pressure me for anything else.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you Jay and NJRidge, I will talk to Coast tomorrow. I have tried the email thing with various dealers and none would give me a "real" price. I am a bottom line person and have told them what I have wanted and have gotten the "come in" and we can talk line instead of a price. I may try to go on Saturday and say this is what I want:
Blue RTL w/ MR and Nav
Rear view Camera
Fog lights
trailer hitch

thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried Freehold today, the guy that I went on a test drive with... I told him about the $1000 cash back to the dealer and then I told him I wanted a Steel Blue rtl w/nav and rear view camera, tow package, running boards and fog lights for $31,700 plus T T and L . He went to the manager and said that was too low... he said that was his price, I said well you get the cash from Honda he went back to the dealer and said I needed to do better. I said I went to him first since he gave me the test drive and now I will go to the others. I told him how September sales were 23 % below August's and that I just read an article on the extinction of large SUV's. I had cash in hand and was ready to go. So I did, no sale. I will email the area and wait, I don't see the dealers hand getting any stronger.

Am I too low?

·
Registered
64 Posts
jerseyshoreguy said:
I tried Freehold today, the guy that I went on a test drive with... I told him about the $1000 cash back to the dealer and then I told him I wanted a Steel Blue rtl w/nav and rear view camera, tow package, running boards and fog lights for $31,700 plus T T and L . He went to the manager and said that was too low... he said that was his price, I said well you get the cash from Honda he went back to the dealer and said I needed to do better. I said I went to him first since he gave me the test drive and now I will go to the others. I told him how September sales were 23 % below August's and that I just read an article on the extinction of large SUV's. I had cash in hand and was ready to go. So I did, no sale. I will email the area and wait, I don't see the dealers hand getting any stronger.

Am I too low?
Wow! You walked. I went to David Michael first too. They had no stock and didn't seem too eager to find my truck. Go to Coast and ask for either one of the salesmen we suggested. They're real nice down there and they get stock from Sussman in Atlantic City sometimes.

As for "too low". Don't ask me, I paid sticker in May.

jam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jam,
I am not in a rush... I think they are going to give before I do. I guess I am a little Stubborn and unless things change I think someone will give in. I will try Coast this week, I was right by the Freehold place and basically told him I was not going to be there for three hours - this is what I want and this is the price he said no I gave him my email address and we will see.

I did email someone from Lakewood that wouldn't give me a price from the internet price request.. go figure right. I fill out the form telling them what I want and I get "we have the vehicle what are you willing to pay"... Why is it that cars are the only commodity sold like this?

I will let you know how it goes,
have a good one,
Chris

·
Registered
64 Posts
jerseyshoreguy said:
Jam,
I am not in a rush... I think they are going to give before I do. I guess I am a little Stubborn and unless things change I think someone will give in. I will try Coast this week, I was right by the Freehold place and basically told him I was not going to be there for three hours - this is what I want and this is the price he said no I gave him my email address and we will see.

I did email someone from Lakewood that wouldn't give me a price from the internet price request.. go figure right. I fill out the form telling them what I want and I get "we have the vehicle what are you willing to pay"... Why is it that cars are the only commodity sold like this?

I will let you know how it goes,
have a good one,
Chris

Chris,

I wish I had your resolve. I had an '02 Explorer that I wanted to ditch for a number of reasons and I REALLY liked the Ridge. Immediate gratification is a juvenile trait and can be extremely dangerous when negotiating a new vehicle's purchase price. I just couldn't wait. Patience is a virtue. Hang in there. You'll get what you want.

Those last few sentences sound like I got them from inside a fortune cookie. But I came up with them myself. Speaking of Chinese food, Island Taste (Rt. 79 & 520 in Marlboro) is the spot. There's no haggling and the wonton soup is tasty.

jam

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Block love the white .. my wife's car is white though... so it would be a tougher sell, I will contact Causeway also thanks.

Jam I usually don't haggle for my wonton, but I will try Island Taste.

Yeah I had my sheet of what to look for the prices from HandA on accessories and some information on the last months sales numbers for Honda and the Ridge's. I know I was painting them in a corner but hey It could have taken 45 minutes to make the sale, but out the door I went.

The guy was funny I gave him the stats and said this is what I want and this is the price, his response was "We are selling these trucks not giving them away" :) yeah it now sounds like a cliche but at the time I thought it was funny .. I can wait I think they will be in a more giving mood as we get closer to the holidays... I have 3 other vehicles at my disposal so I am not in a rush. I must have picked up patience somewhere with out even knowing it!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got my RTL/ Nav for under 32,000 back in August. The backup camera would be cool

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NJRIDGE you did well plus you have had the luxury of driving it longer :)

It is funny how your opinion changes after you buy the vehicle (as far as pricing). I guess I am not as inclined to talk about my "deal" as I was when I was looking to buy. I think because you don't want to hear of everyone else getting a better deal than you worked. :eek:

I ended up getting my truck RTL s/r with Nav for $30,779 + TT&L and $99 doc fees. But then I wanted my options ... roof rack, back-up camera, towing package, running boards, fog lights ... and boom $3,221 gone.. It is worth it, it looks great and I love my Ridge. Now, all my friends are working on their wives to see if they can get one...

thanks to all,
Pictures to follow..

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
jerseyshoreguy said:
Now, all my friends are working on their wives to see if they can get one...
Keep driving in front of them, like dangling a carrot ;).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think we all did pretty well considering how nice the truck is. I did want to mention that I see a lot of people who say they got there vehicles for X amount of dollars when actually they are paying much more through finance fees and such. My co-worker purchased a car for "29,900 after tax" and has payments that make it actually a $34,303 truck according to the finance calculator.
If you are serioulsy looking to buy, do the math on a finance calculator, I use the one on yahoo. Then you should know exactly what your payment should be based on the amount down, the interest rate and the term.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NJRIDGE,
Yeah that is very true, that is why I bought mine with cash.

I haven't had a car payment since 93 with my 90 amigo so it wasn't that difficult to come up with the cash, plus I had just sold a house. Making a monthly payment would have driven me nuts though.

While shopping it wsa driving me crazy when I would say I want your "walk out the door" price and then I would get well you need to talk to the financing guy? BUT I AM NOT FINANCING. (yes but he is going to try and sell you more things that you don't need...)

See ya on the road ..:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts