Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can dealers sell a vehicle as a CPO when the car fax and their latest pre-delivery inspection don't even show several of the required maintenance services?
I've seen several that don't list the VTM-4 rear diff; transmission; coolant fluids & etc as having been replaced.
Many just say oil & filter replaced and/or recommended maintenance performed.
I'm I suppose to trust that all required maintenance items were done with just the statement of recommended maintenance w/o a breakdown or detailed list?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Honda's Certified Pre Owned program offers a powertrain warranty out to 7 years/100,000 miles, so it's at least some indication of Honda's confidence in that particular vehicle. They could say that "recommended maintenance performed" means that any fluids required to be changed were changed at that time.

CPO or not, I'd always change the fluids on a new-to-me vehicle anyway. We bought our 2008 CR-V as a CPO car with 46k miles on it, and I replaced all fluids at 50k to "start over" as a new baseline.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda's Certified Pre Owned program offers a powertrain warranty out to 7 years/100,000 miles, so it's at least some indication of Honda's confidence in that particular vehicle. They could say that "recommended maintenance performed" means that any fluids required to be changed were changed at that time.

CPO or not, I'd always change the fluids on a new-to-me vehicle anyway. We bought our 2008 CR-V as a CPO car with 46k miles on it, and I replaced all fluids at 50k to "start over" as a new baseline.
Nice to know. I have to change all fluids when I get a new-to-me vehicle also, it drives me nuts if I don't.
I also have to do all maintenance items myself, every bolt gets either never-seez or loctite, another pet peeve of mine.
Not to mention torque specs.....god I have issues.....lol.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Most CPO's will have 50k miles or less. The first change for most of the fluids doesn't occur until 30k or 45k miles, anyways. If the truck went 100k miles without having those fluids changed, I would be worried. If it's at 50k miles, simply changing those fluids yourself or working the changing of the fluids into the deal isn't a big issue.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The term CPO has been watered down over the years. It used to mean a vehicle that had been inspected and was the best of the best of their used-car same-brand trade-ins.

These days, it's just an excuse to charge more. You should always do your own full inspection before purchase.

Chip H.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
The term CPO has been watered down over the years. It used to mean a vehicle that had been inspected and was the best of the best of their used-car same-brand trade-ins.

These days, it's just an excuse to charge more. You should always do your own full inspection before purchase.

Chip H.
I'll agree with that. Typically, the "inspection" that the vehicle goes through is done pretty quickly. Some items may not actually even be physically checked, but just assumed that they're ok. It's a way for the dealership to include an extended warranty (on which they make a lot of money) without having to sell it to the customer separately. It's fairly easy to make the CPO tag sound like a good deal in that it provides peace of mind. However, the chances of the customer actually using that warranty before 100k miles these days is actually fairly rare. If the peace of mind is worth an extra $1000-1500 to you, then, by all means, have at it. Personally, as long as you do your homework and the vehicle has good maintenance, you should be good. With the proven reliability of the RL, it's not nearly as important as if one were buying, say, a 2007-2011 Dodge, GM or Ford product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts