Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Major disappointment...and its breathtakingly ugly. A completely compromised design..

Only truck with speakers in the bed???? Are you kidding me, who gives a s%$t about that??? What a joke.

I was a loyal Honda owner, there are currently 4 in the family including two Ridgelines. Because I did not trust your build quality on the new Pilot, I traded my 2011 Pilot for a 2015 Highlander.

Because I very much dislike your Gen 2 Ridgeline, soon I will trade for a Tacoma.

You are squandering years of strong product quality and innovation at a rapid pace.

Good luck and good bye.

·
Registered
76 Posts
OP, can we count on you to no longer post in the 2G section?

Here is a different take. I didn't particular like the 1G RL. The 2G has my interest enough to forgo purchasing a Tacoma. I want to check out the new RL first hand. From what I am seeing it will better meet my needs.

Good luck on the 2016 Tacoma. It has some issues many owners are reporting.
- slipping transmission due to inadequate fluid fill at the factory.
- transmission hunts gears,
- cruise control is terrible.
- trip reset for no reason
- noise at moderate speed.
- vibration at 1500 - 2500 rpm
- u joints improperly serviced.
- no seat height adjustments, (manual or electric)
- some with the OR having issues locking the rear end
- Time will tell if Toyota has corrected the frame rust issue the 2G had.

I owned a 2006 Tacoma 4x4. Recently sold it. I was going to buy another Tacoma until I started seeing all the issues on the new 16.

imo, the Honda is no worse in quality nor better than Toyota.

PS: Dear Honda, I like the looks of the new RL. Can't wait to test drive one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Major disappointment...and its breathtakingly ugly. A true wuss design.

Only truck with speakers in the bed???? Are you kidding me, who gives a s%$t about that??? What a joke.

I was a loyal Honda owner, there are currently 4 in the family including two Ridgelines. Because I did not trust your build quality on the new Pilot, I traded my 2011 Pilot for a 2015 Highlander.

Because I very much dislike your Gen 2 Ridgeline, soon I will trade for a Tacoma.

You are squandering years of strong product quality and innovation at a rapid pace.

Good luck and good bye.
I am not a fan of the new RL either,,,,, but man lighten up. Before you get to drive your new Tacoma,,,,,you are going to be making a trip to the ER for a quadruple bypass.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I'm not a fan of Gen2 either & I don't like seeing some of the issues of the 16 Tacoma either. I hope my RL stays running so I don't have any reason to buy a new truck.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I've gone back and forth between a Taco or Colorado and a Gen2 RL. The reason I purchased a RL in the first place is because I wanted more of an SUV interior with the convenience of a truck bed where I could haul my mountain bikes, adventure racing gear, and the occasional big box store large item purchase. Really, the only "off-roading" I do is dirt roads to the trailhead. If I needed a truck to do more heavy duty off-roading, I would probably get the Taco or a full-sized 4x4. I don't, so I'll be seriously considering the Gen2 RL.

I'm not crazy about the front end, but it is growing on me. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person before making a final decision.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"wuss truck"? How old are you exactly? I thought most Ridgeline buyers would have outgrown the whole posing thing by now.

Enjoy the smaller cabin.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appears I've angered the lurking Honda employees. You had a chance to do something very impactful in the mid size truck segment....and you blew it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Appears I've angered the lurking Honda employees. You had a chance to do something very impactful in the mid size truck segment....and you blew it.
Cant argue that point, I expected more advancements in the power train its look overall and even more utility with innovation.

Its true it could have been a whole lot more truck considering the time off they had to produce it. In the end they took the low budget route but put the money into the design of the Pilot, Honda's biggest acheivement was to flatten the bed rails and add a bluetooth audio speaker system BUT only for the high end models.

Its not like its nasty bad NO its just very safe and simple soft looking, but it will once again limit truck buyers. Personally I don't think Honda could care about that anyway. I think what bugs me the most is I can't differentiate enough from a Pilot. At least it still kept the back window bed storage and tail gate pretty much a given, but the console and front seat space was a whole lot more practical IMO in the first gen1. I like that you can adjust both front seats in the Gen 2 someone listened in that regard. Like the flat floor over almost any truck out there.

I am a loyal RL owner still love the first one but I will not buy a gen 2 right now too many other choices currently and sure to be more as well in the near future. All trucks seem to be expensive these days but I find Honda's pricing on the Pilot to be rather sickening (CDN) and I expect the RL to be the same or more. Maybe US pricing is more reasonable not sure it depends I guess. I know despite the nasty exchange rate, we pay more anyways about 2-4K on certain models which is a lot and we pay far more tax as well on top. No incentives = tough sell for me anyways. Unless the truck is just downright amazing which its probably not. It will be ok.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just don't understand what you need a "badass truck" for when you live in a state that is essentially one huge grass field. If you needed to trade for a smaller more cramped cabin cause you needed legit 4x4 that would make sense. You don't live in WV or CO though, you live on a parking lot.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I very much look forward to the speakers in the bed. I'd love a little music while I'm working , and I dislike listening to the door buzzer and cleaning dirt off of everything inside.
Finally someone I can agree with. I have worked out of the back of my RL more than I have out of my lifted F-350. Its great reaching and seeing the bottom of the toolbox.

Reactions: Rondo and converted

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe. but I am not a Honda employee.

It is clear you do little research. As far as your choice of a Tacoma.
Do you know what many posted regarding its looks, its engine, etc?

Much the same as your posting about the RL.

Yet, you are entitled to your opinion. One which I do not share.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
For those attracted to the 2017 in-bed audio system, the RL lends itself nicely to the idea. Reason being: removable composite/fiberglass bed walls make excellent surfaces for "exciters" used in all kinds of applications where speakers need to be heard but not seen, and weather or spaces like a truck bed aren't friendly to traditional surface mounted speakers.

I think Honda hit a soft spot with this idea by deploying off-the-shelve solutions to the RL bed design. Gen 1 die hard fans wanting to add a cool 2017 feature to their RL might want to look into surface exciters like these weather proof transducers: Dayton Audio HDN-8 Weatherproof Sound Exciter Transducer

Powering these would require a little work but... other than wiring, a few components and perhaps an (easy) creative way to select cabin/bed speaker rounting, a Gen 1 RL could be adapted for this feature.

On the 2017 RL: not surprisingly, many comments are negative. Styling being personal in nature, it's fascinating to see the hyperbole around this one. Especially in regards to what a truck "should be". Clearly, Honda isn't trying to compete in the traditional truck market. Seems to me they are going after existing and fence sitting truck buyers who don't need mid or 1500 series truck attributes. If that was their goal, they hit the mark square in the head - AGAIN. If someone wants a "badass" truck, they should look elsewhere. Conversely, if someone wants an easy to drive, parkable, reliable, comfortable vehicle with a usable truck bed, excellent on-road manners and good off road capabilities, you've found you ride.

If you want something with a Honda badge that's badass, consider something in their cycle or powersport line up, perhaps one of their unbeatable generators or maybe an Acura NSX would be badass enough.

IMO: the RL fills a unique hole in the truck world and by doing so, it IS badass.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just sold my 16 taco sport 4x4 crew. Loved the interior and exterior looks. It was much better than older ones and quite interior. Still rough riding and seats after driving or riding(wife) more than an hour was not working at all for us. It was much smaller than my Ridgelines inside. That said I was getting a Colorado diesel 4x4 today but now I saw this add and im not in love with the look but I miss the comfort and stuff I had in Ridgeline. I didn't like Gen 1 looks forever now love the look. As I said I was having dealer bring me a diesel Colorado today because seats and comfort seemed good and I don't want full size. Just need to tow my bass boat is all. So now I may hold off today and wait to drive one of these first. When will they be available? I sold my 16 Tacoma 2 weeks ago. By the way the Tacoma was great on trails and love the size and hope the Ridgeline is good too if I wait and don't just get the diesel but I think I will wait.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts