Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to get some terrain tires for my RTL-T AWD and was able to get ideas thanks to this forum.

Swapped out the 245/60/R18 Destination LE's at 30K miles and I went with Continental TerrainContact Tires size 265/60/R18.

I originally wanted the BF Goodrich KO2 @ 265/60 but could not justify using a 10 ply/50lb tire for my driving needs. I really like the look and they would be great offroad. With the 30K my RL has accumulated in 6 months time, most of it was freeway miles. I also drive 150-200 miles a day since I crashed my commuter car. I had a chance to take my RL with stock tires on dirt roads/OHV trails in Utah, Arizona, California, Oregon, Washington, and all they way up to Whistler, BC. I plan to do the same trips again this summer(i like to mtn bike) and go on a little more difficult terrain :grin:

Second choice was the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Great tire with great reviews. Costco has them at a good price right now. I'm sure they will do great for my driving needs. Third choice were the Continentals. Still new, no reviews, not much info on them. They spec almost the same as the michelins. I think i went with them because i got them for a little over $600 and wanted AT tires. Continental also offers a 60 day trial. Hey, why not? I hope they turn out to be an in between of the KO2's and LTX.

Found BE take offs on CL. Installed side moldings. Ordered my Truxxx 1.5" leveling kit(not yet installed). Then i got the tires mounted.

First Impressions on the road:
  • I like
  • Quiet and comfortable.
  • RL feels higher.
  • Takes a little more pressure on the pedal to get going from complete stop in forward and reverse. (kept having to double check if i was in gear). I also have to step a little harder when i want to increase my speed on the freeway. Pedal was just much lighter with stock tires.
  • My mpg average went down by about 1 mpg. Good thing i went with 37 lb tires instead of 50 lb. Stock was 31 lbs.
  • Speedometer is off by 1 mph when comparing with Speed Limit Radar on road.
  • Cornering is still good.
  • Wet traction is great.
  • No rubbing issues.
I can't wait to try them on the dirt and up mountains. I included some new pics with the TerrainContacts and some old pics with stock tires from summer '16 for comparison.

If you have the same tires on your Ridgeline, post some pictures....

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Some great photos!

Do you have he vcmuzzler?

How many oil changes did you do so far?

Any oil consumption?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Some great photos!

Do you have he vcmuzzler?

How many oil changes did you do so far?

Any oil consumption?
thanks

i do not have the vcmuzzler. i still have to read up on it.

i've had 5 oil changes on the RL. About to have the 6th done next week. Air filter and cabin filter changed once. I never rotated the tires.

i used to work on cars and honestly i have not checked the oil on my RL since i got it(i should actually start checking). I just have it changed every 5K.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you for posting. I had planned on ordering those tires this week in the same size and I was wondering if i would have needed to wait for the Truxxx kit to keep the from rubbing. Thanks for the review and photos. The truck and tires look great

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for posting. I had planned on ordering those tires this week in the same size and I was wondering if i would have needed to wait for the Truxxx kit to keep the from rubbing. Thanks for the review and photos. The truck and tires look great
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing RL's with the same tires and hearing about experiences.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Did you get a Maintenance Minder code for the rear differential fluid change and if yes, at around what mileage? Thanks

·
Registered
932 Posts
30k miles? holy crap. I'm at 3k miles lol.

Great pictures. You will love the Leveling kit.

Reactions: Border411

·
Registered
388 Posts
Looking forward to hearing a wear report. Figuring you're at double my mileage now, you'll have plenty of good info before I kill the stockers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get a Maintenance Minder code for the rear differential fluid change and if yes, at around what mileage? Thanks
Hmmm...never noticed that on the maintenance minder, but i guess i'll get it changed this week. OM says 7,500k then every 15k if I drive low speeds or tow regularly. I don't do that type of driving regularly, but I'll probably get it changed just in case. Thanks for the info

30k miles? holy crap. I'm at 3k miles lol.

Great pictures. You will love the Leveling kit.
I can't wait

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought these in 245/60R-18 OEM size - LOVE THEM!! Been in snow, slush, ice, dirt, some mud - very good traction, very predictable and very, very nice on the highway in dry and wet conditions. I think Continental has a winner here. It's funny, I don't usually by new model year of anything, but got an early Ridgeline and then got new to market tires - go figure!! Have not regretted either - even with the recall on the wiring harness.......

How much did your mileage decrease with the 265's?? Mine with the 245's went down 1 - 2 mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looking forward to hearing a wear report. Figuring you're at double my mileage now, you'll have plenty of good info before I kill the stockers.
Well i might get another commuter soon, but i'll start racking up the miles on the RL this spring summer...

I bought these in 245/60R-18 OEM size - LOVE THEM!! Been in snow, slush, ice, dirt, some mud - very good traction, very predictable and very, very nice on the highway in dry and wet conditions. I think Continental has a winner here. It's funny, I don't usually by new model year of anything, but got an early Ridgeline and then got new to market tires - go figure!! Have not regretted either - even with the recall on the wiring harness.......

How much did your mileage decrease with the 265's?? Mine with the 245's went down 1 - 2 mpg.
Nice! My mpg dropped about the same. I just filled the tank and going to see what a full tank gets me. I checked the stock set up right before the tires were changed and got 440 miles. Non-econ, city and highway, right at speed limit. If i can get around 440 with the TerrainContacts, i'll be good. I'll be driving the exact same 140 mile route daily this week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update on the Minder for the rear diff, the dealer said the RL is supposed to get a Minder at a 10,700 miles and another at 16k miles to change rear diff fluid. They checked my previous service records and nothing about my RL having Minder code 6. Maybe it was not noted by them and noticed by me. I also did not decline any required maintenance. They advised to get the rear diff fluid changed anywhere between 15k-30k miles.

Transmission fluid Minder will be at 60k. I went ahead and got that changed along with the rear diff and engine oil.

There is also a recall for a wiring harness in the rear panel. Getting that taken care of too.

They are also going to track my engine oil consumption just because i asked and was curios to know. I will have to bring my RL to them every 1000 miles 3 times. Each time they will top it off and track the consumption and do some sort of ratio then figure it all out lol.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Just an update on the Minder for the rear diff, the dealer said the RL is supposed to get a Minder at a 10,700 miles and another at 16k miles to change rear diff fluid. They checked my previous service records and nothing about my RL having Minder code 6. Maybe it was not noted by them and noticed by me. I also did not decline any required maintenance. They advised to get the rear diff fluid changed anywhere between 15k-30k miles.

Transmission fluid Minder will be at 60k. I went ahead and got that changed along with the rear diff and engine oil.

There is also a recall for a wiring harness in the rear panel. Getting that taken care of too.

They are also going to track my engine oil consumption just because i asked and was curios to know. I will have to bring my RL to them every 1000 miles 3 times. Each time they will top it off and track the consumption and do some sort of ratio then figure it all out lol.
Thanks for the info, I had no clue abut the ATF, I just change it every year. There is a lengthy thread about the harness recall in the problems and fixes section if you want to read up.

Sounds like you have a good dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info, I had no clue abut the ATF, I just change it every year. There is a lengthy thread about the harness recall in the problems and fixes section if you want to read up.

Sounds like you have a good dealer.
They inspected and determined Procedure A for the recall. It's the 3 hour job where they do not have to remove the bed. Other procedures were 8 hour jobs with bed removal.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
They inspected and determined Procedure A for the recall. It's the 3 hour job where they do not have to remove the bed. Other procedures were 8 hour jobs with bed removal.
It's pretty good that you drove 30k and water never penetrated your connector but you could be in a dry part of the country.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts