Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2006 Steel Blue RTL with 33k miles. I have been trying to decide on what kind of bed cover solution to get. First the extang solid fold, then a full metal jackrabbit. Well I placed an order today for the softopper as it seems to be the best of all worlds for me. I am using the truck to carry tools and supplies for my home theater installations. I previously had a Cadillac SRX and pulled a 5x10 trailer everywhere but the gas bills were getting to me. I really like the Ridge so far and hope the softopper will make the experience even better. I have toyed around with the idea of combining the softopper and the extang solid fold, will see.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Congrats and I hope it works out for you. Please post pictures when you get it installed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Mike,
I also would like a review.
This is something I am considering for my RL later.
When the $$ is available.
I use my bed a lot and most other options really limit
the size of cargo.
A semi permanant cap is not tall enough inside.
Plus my dogs really miss getting a ride.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey guys, I have a softopper installed on my 2006 RL. I think this is the better choice of the available options. My brother had a tonneau cover on his RL, and the softopper is much easier to remove... and the ability to stack items to the roof line is great. You'll need to do some mods to make it completely waterproof. When you see how the top rail fits across the roof, you'll notice gaps on either side... a little silicone or extra weather stripping will do the trick. I'm not at home to post pics, but here is a link..

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35601&highlight=softopper

Good luck...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wheels are spinning. I have already thought of adding home alarm window magnets to the tailgate flap of the softopper, so that if someone tries to unzip the flap while the alarm is on then the alarm goes off. I have also thought about adding one of those LED light bars to the top outside of the softopper for a third brake light.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Softopper installed today. The quality and fit and finish on this thing is excellent!!!!! This thing will be great for toting my ladders and tools. The expensive tools go in the trunk and the ladders get a cable lock looped through the rear tie down. All is great, no towing a trailer anymore. Also looking at a softride bike rack for carrying the ladder behind the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Discovered an eerie softopper feature, at night when you put on the brakes everything lights up red in the back of the truck.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discovered an eerie softopper feature, at night when you put on the brakes everything lights up red in the back of the truck.
Assuming the vehicles behind you can't see the third brake, you can always remove a couple of the bulbs that make up the third brake light (four bulbs make up that light).

Thanks for posting pictures.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Mike...old long post I know...but was wondering...how has it been for waterproofing?

We just bought a 2017, but was wondering how it would do as the SofTopper we had on our old '13 Taco had a flap that went between the bed and the cab (where obviously the RL had no such space being a unibody).

Thanks ever so much in advance! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts