Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an excellent article on avoiding suicidal deer at http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=106854
I've had several close encounters (though not with my RL thank goodness!) and escaped each one unscathed. They seem to be multiplying like rabbits, in spite of record hunting around here. They mention that the fall mating season is coming up so look for the bucks to be thinking of anything but safely crossing in front of your beautiful RL!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hit a raccoon first night of ownership...here in the mountains, we dodge deer all the time, but especially around dusk into the early night. I have them in my yard all the time...and wild turkeys too!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I traded a red `2000 Dodge Durango in on my RL. Before I did that, I lent it to a buddy for the weekend. While away he played a prank on me and got me good. He E-mailed to tell me he had a bad deer attack on the way and attached these pictures. They are real, but it's not my Durango.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow...

That driver was lucky to be alive. Considering that the vehicle didn't look like it crashed, he probably was alive.

The really bad thing about those sorts of deer attacks is the airbags don't go off, so you don't get that protection.

The worst are cows. I've seen what a cow did to a VW beetle. Not pretty.

Should the NTSB do a deer-impact crash test?....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Halabar said:
Wow...

Should the NTSB do a deer-impact crash test?....
Can you imagine the howls of protest over that proposal? :eek: You'd stand a better chance of teaching the deer to read!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yikes - I have seen the results (three times, to be precise) of steer vs minivan, pickup truck, and sedan. In all 3 cases - nothin' won. The minivan crash was the worst - killed the passenger, severe injuries to driver. Dead steer. All three happened the same place, from the same farmer's field - after the third, he quit raising steer.

- ridgeln

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Be careful driving through "free range" areas. We narrowly escaped a confused calf on the "Terrestrial Highway" in Nevada.

I was also lucky to dodge a deer after midnight with my Civic. I clipped his hind leg and maintained control of the car. I only had to replace the hood, headlight, and bumper. EXTREMELY LUCKY!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
How do you tell a confused cow from one that's not? (sorry, couldn't resist that!!) :D

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
How do you tell a confused cow from one that's not? (sorry, couldn't resist that!!) :D

That's funny! I'm hoping the one's that weren't were the ones walking away from the road! But they must've also been confused, otherwise why would they be out in the middle of the desert on the Terrestrial Hwy??

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can see it now, mandated deer bags.

Brings to mind the differnce between deer nuts and beer nuts, Beer nuts are $1.39 deer nuts are just under a buck.

As for the testing, aircraft stuctures, engines and windows are tested with a chicken cannon, a chicken is fired out of this cannon into a running engine during certification tests.

Rumor has it the French borrowed one from Boeing when they wanted to test the windshield on their highspeed train. It was reported that the chicken went through the windshield and two interior bulkheads causing great damage. As the story goes they were instructed to thaw out the chicken and try again.

I am not sure what a deer cannon would look like.

L

·
0 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
Brings to mind the differnce between deer nuts and beer nuts, Beer nuts are $1.39 deer nuts are just under a buck.
******************* :eek: ***********************

·
Registered
112 Posts
STEVE FROST said:
I am not sure what a deer cannon would look like.
I'm not sure either, but I do know we should test it on plenty of Fords, Chevys, Toyotas and others first. Especially the Fords. :D Gee, what would a frozed deer do to a Ford?.. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts