Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Very nice. I like the looks of the Ram, and still think it & the G2 Ridgeline resemble each other on the back end.

How much towing capacity does your Ram configuration get you to?

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Did not know that Dodge had payload figures on the door jamb.
All trucks have that. His point is probably that the Ridgeline payload number is real close to the Ram.

Reactions: budaman

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,127 Posts
Yes but payload and towing are hardly the same thing and towing seems to be the ability of interest . . .

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi, in the end I was just not comfortable pulling a 3500 lb trailer loaded down. Throw in gear, bed of firewood, adults, more gear and I was maxxing out the Ridgeline.
So, you transferred from basically a coupé utility vehicle to a dedicated pickup designed with higher weight bearing capabilities? Sounds like a smart move on your part, though at no real fault of the Ridgeline itself?

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
All trucks have that. His point is probably that the Ridgeline payload number is real close to the Ram.
Yes. Mostly I was curious because the last generation of Rams was notoriously low, often lower than the Ridgeline. I'd heard that the newer generation of Rams had improved in that area, so I was curious of a ballpark figure on a new model.

Granted, the 8ZF will likely hold up to towing better due to its longitudinal nature and supposed inherently better cooling. The payload rating often becomes the limiting towing factor on the 150/1500 series trucks, as well as many mid-size trucks.

Let's say you want to tow a 6000lb trailer. We'll pick a nice rounded 13% tongue weight. That gives us 780lbs on the hitch. Add two people and a small amount of gear and you are quickly at max recommended payload.

If you went a conservative 15% tongue weight, you're looking at 900lbs. If your trailer weighs 7000lbs, your tongue weight should be between 700 (10%) and 1050 (15%) pounds! If you have a nicely-optioned mid-size BoF truck, your payload is probably around 1300-1400lbs, and much less if you have an off-road package. Two average Americans nowadays will weigh 400lbs combined. Add a toolbox, some snacks and a gear bag and you may be maxed out.

All of this to say that the tow rating argument against the Ridgeline compared to other mid-size trucks is just a straw man argument in the vast majority of cases.

Apologies to the OP for getting off-topic.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,721 Posts
Throw in gear, bed of firewood, adults, more gear and I was maxxing out the Ridgeline.
Lots there other than trailer / tongue-weight in-play.

Hopefully the OP learned his lesson regarding both tow and payload capacities and spec'd his (handsome, congrats! :) ) new ride accordingly.

Nothing against the RL in any of this, IMO, just a lesson relating to "the right tool for the job" (the RL isn't right for everyone).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have seen pickup-housetrailer rigs spectacularly overturned & jack-knifed along highways. Whether a result of wind or "emergency maneuver" who knows, in any case one needs to take towing anything very seriously.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, checking the specs, the payload sticker is 1637 lbs (occupants and cargo).
Tow max 12,750 lbs/Tounge weight 1,275 lbs
Although the Honda did pull it and handled the load (with weight distribution hitch) I disliked always pushing 3500 rpms on flat road, no wind/no hill. I think the Honda is perfect for under 3000 lbs like a tent trailer. This is what we had and it was perfect for that but upgraded and then you know the rest......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it looks a little lower. The manual says 12,750 but a web site said this:
  • 5.7L V8 HEMI® MDS VVT Engine: Produces up to 395 hp, 410 lb-ft of torque, and tows a max of 11,610 pounds.
The diesel version says:
  • 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 Engine: Produces up to 260 hp, 480 lb-ft of torque, and tows a max of 12,560 pounds—the highest diesel tow rating in the class.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most people buy the truck and then go get the trailer, which in many cases is backwards. If you buy a truck with a 1800# payload and a 5000# trailer with a 500# tongue weight, you've left yourself with an effective 1300# payload. From experience, 1300# disappears really fast and towing overweight can cost you dearly depending on your weight class as some areas charge $10 - $20 PER POUND you are over.

Granted, a Ridgeline or 1500 model won't likely get pulled over or weighed, but towing it safely is another issue entirely.

Kudos to you making the choice to purchase a larger vehicle capable of safely pulling your trailer and carrying your cargo and passengers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, in the end I was just not comfortable pulling a 3500 lb trailer loaded down. Throw in gear, bed of firewood, adults, more gear and I was maxxing out the Ridgeline.

It's been a slice.... View attachment 403075
Why are you showing a picture of a Ram truck? Is the correct picture of the trailer? Who knows? Why don't you put up a picture of the truck you are referencing while it is hooked up to the trailer that are also referencing so that we can see what you are talking about.

I have seen pickup-housetrailer rigs spectacularly overturned & jack-knifed along highways. Whether a result of wind or "emergency maneuver" who knows, in any case one needs to take towing anything very seriously.
I agree. Most people don't take towing seriously. The Ridgeline is a LIGHT DUTY truck. If you want to haul significantly more weight and/or a large trailer, get a 3/4 ton. And if want to pull a fifth wheel trailer, get a 1 ton.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I had a similar reaction to towing a 4000# TT with my 1st gen RL. So I bought a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel motor. It’s the same Motori V6 they put in the Ram 1500, but much rarer. A 7000# tow rating makes quick work of the TT, and doubling the RL’s towing gas mileage is nice too! Plus, I’m getting 28mpg around town. Kind of tough to get a load of mulch in the GC tho, so I kept the RL for truck stuff!

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Jlr1956, although not explicitly stated, the OP appears to have purchased a Ram pickup. The TT shown in the picture is a single axle, probably in the 18’ range. That jives with what he says (3500#), so I assume that he has indeed pictured his current tow rig and trailer. We are all friends here, so maybe take a deep breath before posting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
Why are you showing a picture of a Ram truck? Is the correct picture of the trailer? Who knows? Why don't you put up a picture of the truck you are referencing while it is hooked up to the trailer that are also referencing so that we can see what you are talking about.
I guess I assumed the group would infer that was my new RAM and our travel trailer. It is our new RAM and travel trailer, sorry for any confusion caused!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I pull a 23 foot camper trailer, 4500 lbs empty, with my 2007 Ridgeline. I’ve made 2400 mile trips with it. Including 4 people with all supplies I am a bit over capacity. Without good sway bars it would be terrible. With sway bars to balanced the load the truck sits nice and level and handles fine at 65 mph. Steep mountain passes are slow, but the truck does an excellent job!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts