Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any new info on the so-called "defective" OEM aluminum step bars ? There were a few posts a while back on this issue.

·
Registered
492 Posts
My dealer said there were some corrosion issues and that the silver oem side steps can no longer be ordered or obtained. He did say that there were some rumors that a new step will be forthcoming and that there may be a choice of colors.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am getting mine replaced tomorrow under warranty, I asked if they have changed? they wouldn't know till they get them. hope they are the new/improved type. will post results.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I want to thank all those who informed and inquired if I had replaced or reported my defective OEM side steps to Honda. I mentioned it to the service manager at Long Beach Honda. He came out to inspect it and ordered the replacement right then and there. :D They also snaped off one of my lugs during the tire rotation that they are also going to replace all under warranty.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Toobuku said:
I want to thank all those who informed and inquired if I had replaced or reported my defective OEM side steps to Honda. I mentioned it to the service manager at Long Beach Honda. He came out to inspect it and ordered the replacement right then and there. :D They also snaped off one of my lugs during the tire rotation that they are also going to replace all under warranty.
Tony, which Honda units have you decided to install? You do know that they come in various finishes?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Andy-Montreal said:
Tony, which Honda units have you decided to install? You do know that they come in various finishes?
The service manager may have reordered the same type, he did not ask me for my choice. I happen to like the original one, but if that is no longer an option, I will have to go with the chrome.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Here's what they look like including the running boards. Finishes available are in silver-aluminum,chrome & black.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Here's what they look like including the running boards. Finishes available are in silver-aluminum,chrome & black.

I'm going with the chrome if I can.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I talked with the service manager today and he has to replace my side steps with the same type as before, which is fine with me because I like that type! The work is getting done on Friday. ;)

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I believe that the service manager is either mistaken or he has a brand new set of "old stock" aluminum steps that he wants to unload on you.

I recommend that you check with another dealer or better yet, call Honda of America's customer support line and inquire yourself before committing to installing the same steps.

Honda has initiated a voluntary replacement of this model side steps due to premature delamination and corrosion and will replace them free of charge. Should the dealer insist on installing the same model as before, have him mark on the work order/invoice that the new units are also covered against delamination and corrosion; should this problem ever re-occur. Good luck!:)

N.B. Another reason for Honda's pulling this model off their shelves was a particular noise that developed when the RL was equipped with these units and was driven thru heavy rain or water. It had something to do with the hollow void design and the way the water was channeled thru them.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I believe that the service manager is either mistaken or he has a brand new set of "old stock" aluminum steps that he wants to unload on you.

I recommend that you check with another dealer or better yet, call Honda of America's customer support line and inquire yourself before committing to installing the same steps.

Honda has initiated a voluntary replacement of this model side steps due to premature delamination and corrosion and will replace them free of charge. Should the dealer insist on installing the same model as before, have him mark on the work order/invoice that the new units are also covered against delamination and corrosion; should this problem ever re-occur. Good luck!:)

N.B. Another reason for Honda's pulling this model off their shelves was a particular noise that developed when the RL was equipped with these units and was driven thru heavy rain or water. It had something to do with the hollow void design and the way the water was channeled thru them.
Roger that Andy, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Because Honda no longer has the original peeling side steps I have, they were going to put on the new silver tubular side steps in it's place. However, because the service manager ordered running broads instead of side steps and I was inconvenienced by the delay and I am a good customer, they are giving me what I wanted...THE CHROME TUBULAR SIDE STEPS! :D LONG BEACH HONDA IS THE BEST!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Side step noise never had anything to do with the stop-sale of the original side steps, it was solely an issue of the paint flaking off. They were supposed to have been reissued in the origianal silver and a black paint finish by now, it sounds like they never were able to fix the peeling paint problem.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Side step noise never had anything to do with the stop-sale of the original side steps, it was solely an issue of the paint flaking off. They were supposed to have been reissued in the origianal silver and a black paint finish by now, it sounds like they never were able to fix the peeling paint problem.
Two major dealer complaints against the early model side steps were 1) delamination and 2)noise. I agree that the flaking paint may have been a more important issue as compared to noise but both were definitely a reported problem to Honda by their dealers.

I find it quite surprising that Honda's side-step sub-contractor was unable to find a cure for the flaking paint/coating. Perhaps Honda was concerned with the tarnished image that these defective steps already caused them and were hesitant about re-introducing them into the market.

Nevertheless, I find that their new steps look much better!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Does anyone have this "voluntary recall" on paper? I have noticed a large build up of road salt on the forward facing side of the mounting brackets.

Is this where the de-lamination occurs? can anyone post a pic of where the damage is?

I too would opt for the chrome version instead of the silver colored version...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
86 Posts
In that I was the Ridgeline accessory planner at Honda during that time, I can guarantee that noise had nothing to do with the stop-sale of those side steps. There was not a recall, a recall is usually when there is some safety issue, this was only a paint issue.

The paint usually bubbled up around the weld on the side step itself, I don't know about any issue with the brackets. The manufacturer tried several things to correct the problem, and as of July last year, when I left Honda, they were supposed to again be available in September, in the original silver and a new black color. It looks like they never were able to fix the paint problem, too bad, I thought they looked pretty good, but the new tube-type also look fine, with a wider selection, chrome, silver or black paint.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Does anyone have this "voluntary recall" on paper? I have noticed a large build up of road salt on the forward facing side of the mounting brackets.

Is this where the de-lamination occurs? can anyone post a pic of where the damage is?

I too would opt for the chrome version instead of the silver colored version...

Thanks for the help!
I will post some pictures of where the defect is occuring on my side steps. I too like the originals but since they are not supply them anymore, I'll take the chrome ones! :D

OLD AND BUSTED......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
NEW HOTNESS......

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Will these OEM step bars go on a 2006 as well as a 2007? I really want the oem as opposed to after market, but I noticed when searching for these that the installation instructions state that they are for 2007 RLs...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts