Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Does your ridgeline have defective paint?

• Yes

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 50.0%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ridgeline painted with Nighthawk Black Paint (Paint Code B-92P-4). I noticed a year ago that the paint on the hood and front fenders was cracking (numerous small, 3mm-5mm bird foot patterns). At the time I did not think that this was a paint defect. However, I recently discovered that American Honda Motor Co. (AHMC) issued a Warranty Extension (Service Bulletin 12-049, dated 08/24/12 and attached) for 2006-2010 Civics that exhibited similar paint cracking with SAME paint code as on my Ridgeline. NOTE: the service bulletin has great photos of the defective paint.

I called AHMC and got nowhere fast. All they would say is that a recall has not been issued for the Ridgeline. I have not taken to a dealer yet as I expect them to defer to AHMC/recalls.

My question to the forum - have other members with either Blue or Black paint (Paint Codes B-529P, B-92P, or NH-731P, note: paint code is on sticker on driver side door jamb) had similar cracking of paint on hood and fenders?

My guess is that AHMC is trying to let other Models with the defective paint go unnoticed so as to avoid a larger recall. With so few Ridgelines sold (compared to civics) and probably fewer with the defective paint codes, it would be easy for AHMC to just let Ridgeline owners go without the same benefit being afforded other AHMC model owners.
Attached Images

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a black 08. I had defective clear coat. Unfortunately I had no idea what I was looking at and figured somebody had spilled something on my hood. I never even thought of clear coat. It wasn't until later, after I tried fixing it myself and butchering the job of course that I showed some guys the pics of it and seeing other clear coat issues on cars that I knew it was obviously a clear coat problem all along.

So I'm now left having to spend probably $500 to fix this properly.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
My co-worker just got his 2007 Civic SI repainted for the same issue. He also had theblack paint. Dealer covered it with no hassles!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
Going on memory, back in 2006 all Ridgeline's and some Civic's were built at the Alliston, ON assembly plant... so it's likely both had the same paint supplier. Civic's were also supplied to North America from plants in Ohio and Japan.

I don't know if the Civic TSB applies to all plants or just a specific plant. In other words I don't know if the Civic's built in 2006 at Alliston, ON were part of the TSB or not... so there may be a connection or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I have the same problem. I have 2006 Civic EX and 2006 Ridgeline RTL. The Civic is awful . It looks like a 20yr old paint job and now I'm seeing the same on the Ridgeline. I know they recalled the Civic and not the Ridgeline. Its about time Honda was placed on a trial, like Toyota was put the test for all their camrys, pirus and who knows how many other models. Its about time these giant companies were put to shame for what they offer and what they charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My '09 NBP RTL is doing this also. Primarily on the hood, very slightly on the fenders. Count me in for fighting for this.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The paint on the inside of the door frames on mine is really thin and swirly, that a word? My paint issue was under the front bumper. I think my truck was damaged at the plant and they had to mask and resprey the lower area of the front bumper. After I had it for about 2 months, some one said hey what's all tath hanging down from under the front of your car, isnt that thing new? It was the masking tape they used to hold the masking paper in place when they repsrayed the underside of the bumper. It got wet and over the 2 months started to fall off. All i did was crawl under the front and pulled a good 2 feet of masking tape that had been sprayed billet silver. under where the tape was the black base color of the bumper showed through. I was a little peeved at first, being it was an expensve vehicle, but then again you can't see it unless you lay down under the front end. A few tire shops and one dealer noticed it and said something, but under law they are allowed to do some minor repairs on the line and still sell it as new. Got 100K on her now so it's a moot point!

Oh yeah, I can't type well!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
I have no cracks just faded areas on some contours of the hood and rear fenders, maybe after waxing and polishing it will get fixed. I still think the Honda paint is very weak compared to most of the Domestic brands and many other imports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all that have responded!!
My update.
Took vehicle to dealer when a American Honda Motor Rep was in town.
They looked at my Ridge and offered to split the cost of repainting the defective areas 50/50.

While this is generous it really does not address the issue of a defective paint.
All I did was purchase a Honda Ridgeline and operate and maintain in appropriate manner.
Not sure why I should have to pay 50% for Honda's or their paint suppliers issue.

I would like to continue the discussion on the forum to see how many Ridge's are out there with this problem.

Does anyone know how many Ridgelines Honda has sold yearly since 2006?

·
Registered
41 Posts
06 and mine has the crows feet on the hood! I purchased mine used, would i be wasting my time contacting honda?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 Amazon Green. The paint is in excellent condition EXCEPT for the Rear Roof Trim - the plastic piece that includes the high brake light. The paint just about gone. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problems on my 2006 Black RTL. Has anything moved forward with this issue at all? It took the class action lawsuit to get the accords fixed and I believe they added some Odysseys into the class also. Has anyone talked with the lawyers involved in that suit, and see if the Ridgeline could be added?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same problem here as well. BCP on '09. Cracking at nose substantially.
***Also OP Asked if anyone had sales numbers****
These are by year and accurate. First number Year, Second series US Sales, 3rd series Canadian sales.

Year
Honda Ridgeline
U.S. Sales
Honda Ridgeline
Canadian Sales
2005 42,593 3512
2006 50,193 4988
2007 42,795 4519
2008 33,875 3987
2009 16,464 3546
2010 16,142 3200
2011 9,759 1713
2012 14,068 2226
2013 17,723 2122
2014 YTD * 7906 954

This us actually really interesting to look at. You can see how sales went down by 50% during the mortgage crisis and have not recovered. Sales are only 25% to 30% pre crisis figures. Guess a lot of ReFi's were paying the big ticket prices on these LOL! Just like every SUV out there...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2006 Nighthawk Black paint color and I am having the EXACT same problem. The hood area is the most effected area with a sort of spider web cracking appearance. I would definitely say it looks like a paint defect and it has been bothering me for some time. I have a terrible time getting any satisfaction from my local Honda dealer on south vancouver island when I talk to them about anything related to my Ridgeline even after I have had every service since the day I got it done with them. I love my truck and I hate how terrible the paint is and I would love to have it repainted. There are other paint flaws on my vehicle besides this issue and all though I am not an expert they appear to all relate to a poor paint quality or paint process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts