Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post as I bought 2014 SE at the end December. It has Nav & XM.

My wife has a CRV with Nav and XM, so I was aware that the BT probably wouldn't steam audio, what I didn't realize is that the Ridgeline didn't have a USB input like the CRV, which allows control and displays music info. I went through the manuals, no streaming, no USB. I went online and found this forum. My suspicion was confirmed.

I had an X5 with no technology beyond an iPod cord in the glove box. I haven't used an my iPod for years. So I was hungry for more that CD's and FM.

I have been combing the forums for a couple weeks trying to figure out if I can add Bluetooth that can be controlled using factory controls. What I learned is the BT45-HON3 could possibly do it and display song info, but I could not find a definitive answer for a 2014 SE with Nav and XM. Even retailers disagreed if it would work.

I am trying to get away from looking and using my phone while driving, so the portable BT link I was using, while working great, it required using the phone controls and reconnecting every time I started my truck.

After finding the manual posted here, I decided to try it. Reading through it I was comfortable it work. Thanks to whomever posted it. If I can, I will repost.

I purchased a BT45-HON3 on Ebay for $135 shipped.

It works as advertised. Took a good chunk of the day and when I get some time, I will write a review. I took a bunch of pics, so when i get some time, a step by step process. It's plug and play, but getting to the plug is not easy, it's next the the sub, but behind the molded carpet like piece that covers the entire area behind the seat.

I am no stranger to tearing into a car, but not one that is less than a month old and not for something that I couldn't find anyone with a success for my vehicle. I didn't realize the parts on a new vehicle go in and out pretty easy, plastic isn't as brittle and everything aligns like it should.

Here are the photos of the display using BT streaming.

Dash Pics are attached along with phone Bluetooth area.

BT45-HON3 Manual

I will do a follow up after some use. I ran some errands, sounds good, connects automatically to phone automatically, no issues with handsfree Honda link working or connecting.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Scott,

Great write-up for your first post and it's a mod to boot.

I'm sure many future readers will appreciate your detail and pic.

Please post more.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
before and After

I forgot these pics, before and after.

Both streaming music. The phone screen is different as before I had to leave PowerAmp on my phone to have controls. You can also see the cord going to AUX. I had the Bluetooth puck, the battery lasts about 6 hours, so occasionally another wire to charge. Sound is the same, just have to connect every time, not pair, but turn on the puck, and hit connect on phone. I think I paid $20 on Ebay or Amazon and it does have controls, play FF, RW, but I never used them. Good alternative for budget conscious or some not wanting to mod.

The app is CarHome Ultra, great program and totally customizable, including day and night color schemes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
Today I installed the BT45-HON3 from USA.SPEC. Since Scott did such a good job of explaining the function, I will detail the fit. When I had an RTS I did a complete Audio overhaul. With the SE I am trying to keep the stock look as much as possible. I intend to upgrade the door speaker and tweeters next but for now I just wanted to have Bluetooth. I also wished the Aux Input wasn't so far of a reach, all the ways over there in the cubby in front of the front passenger. The BT-45 covered both of those issues for me.

To use the Aux Input and USB from the BT-45 I purchased 10ft USB and 3.5mm Aux extensions and a flush panel mount USB/Aux Input Dock. Total cost on eBay for all supplies was about $170.

I put the USB/AUX Input Dock in the center console.

Pic 1. I started by making a template for the hole that needed to be cut in the console.
BT-45a.jpg
Pic 2. Then drilled 4 holes on the corners of the template. Cut the hole with a dremmel tool and used a small file to bring it up to size for a perfect fit.
BT-45b.jpg
Pic 3. Connected the extensions to the back of the dock in the back of the console, so if the dock ever failed it would be easy to replace. Removal of the console rear cover is covered in link below.
BT-45c.jpg
Pic 4. Routed the extensions for the center console to the back wall by using a coat hanger to fish it under the carpet and under the trim/step inside the right rear passenger door. This trim piece just snaps off with a little tug.
BT-45d.jpg
Pic 5. Removed the seat back and cut away some of the sound proofing to expose the XM Tuner in the lower corner of the back wall, on the passenger side next to the sub-woofer. I was unsure of the exact location of the Tuner and I ended up with a chop job :)
If I could do it over I would cut a capital I in the cover over the XM Tuner, and fold back the material so it could be put back after installation. I plan on applying dampening material on the back wall later so no big deal for now. The second link below will help with seat back removal.
BT-45e.jpg
Pic 6. I attached the BT-45-HON3 unit on the metal brace above the XM Tuner with a cable tie. When it gets warmer I will put some velcro on it.
It was 34degF today brrrr.
Unplugging the cable from the XM Tuner can be difficult. Study the same type connector release clip on the BT-45 harness so you know what's required. Remove the extra harness on the BT-45 or the volume will be 50%. I found this out by not reading the instructions :)
BT-45f.jpg

These two links will help with the center console and rear seat back...

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=415663&postcount=6

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=554920&postcount=1

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
Pic 7. USB/AUX Input dock in the center console.
BT-45g.jpg

Instal took 4-5 hours but could easily be done in 2 if you had no distractions.
Excuse the dust, pics were taken before I vacuumed.
In the future I'm planning JBL GT7-6 speakers for the doors, the JBL GTO18T Tweeters for the dash, and some sound dampening on the doors and back wall. This should cover my audio upgrade needs.

I tested the Aux Input with my Zune player and it played HD radio well. I also ran pandora through the bluetooth. The USB is for charging only. Everything worked as advertised, and as explained by Scott above. Not sure if I will need the XM much longer?

This is a very rewarding upgrade because it works well and adds to the current setup without much effort. It really is a simple upgrade if you plan ahead and study this forum for the required steps before you start. It's plug n play and sound quality is excellent.

The first time I tried to use the hands free system to make a call I couldn't get through. I found you have to select a mode other that XM1 ( XM2, AM/FM, CD/AUX, etc). This is a minor inconvenience and understandable as my phone was been used by XM1 at the time for Pandora.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice install. I just picked up a BT45HON3.

Whats the easiest way to get to the xm tuner? Im trying to figure out how to remove the back of the back seat.

Also, where did you run your mic wire to get it to the front of the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
If I remember right, there are some good pics on threads here for installation of OEM back-up camera (required removing panel behind back seat. Also some nice pics on threads addressing Subwoofer (it sits right next to XM receiver behind the panel behind rear seat.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
Nice install. I just picked up a BT45HON3.

Whats the easiest way to get to the xm tuner? Im trying to figure out how to remove the back of the back seat.

Also, where did you run your mic wire to get it to the front of the vehicle?
Only the seat back has to be removed. See the following link on how to do that.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38695

In a previous RL I put mine on top of the rear view mirror. It was central there and anyone in the vehicle was heard. With the SE model the Mic is not needed as it has the hands free Mic. However I think you could run the Mic wiring under the right side door foot boards and behind the dash to a location of your liking. There is a thread on that also.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105137

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the help.

since the xm tuner is on the right, I agree I will run the wiring under the flooring trim pieces.

My issues is I have 2 car seats to remove from the back as well! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just purchased the BT45-HON3 about two days ago (154 on amazon with prime shipping). It took me about an hour to install it properly. I ran the mic cable along the back to the driver side and under the sill plates of each door and the up the weather stripping. The quality is alright, its better than the Kinvio BTC 450 I fried (on accident).I tested the call quality with some friends, and its claim of noise cancellation actually works pretty well. That was the one thing that I did not like about the BTC 450 as people would be able to hear themselves through the radio. The AUX/USB are in the rear fold down arm rest for guests as I still retain the OEM AUX jack in the front of the truck. There is a slight audio drop due to the bluetooth transmission of audio (not using the AptX protocol) but its not noticeable unless you listen to both in quick succession. Overall I am happy with the unit. It made it so I did not have to compromise and my truck with limited tech now has much better connectivity options.

P.S. This was installed on a 2008 RTL w/ NAV.

Next up is replacing the headliner.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
. There is a slight audio drop due to the bluetooth transmission of audio (not using the AptX protocol) but its not noticeable unless you listen to both in quick succession.
P.S. This was installed on a 2008 RTL w/ NAV.

Next up is replacing the headliner.
Try momentarily pressing CD and back to XM to level the audio volume of the Bluetooth. There is a glitch in the RL software and you will find that the other sources of audio are improved after switching from the CD source. You may have to have a CD in the tray to make this work. Each time you restart the vehicle you will have to cycle through the audio sources to level the audio. Honda is aware of this issue on 09+ models and did not offer a fix.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=429741&postcount=12

·
Administrator
14,929 Posts
Try momentarily pressing CD and back to XM to level the audio volume of the Bluetooth. There is a glitch in the RL software and you will find that the other sources of audio are improved after switching from the CD source. You may have to have a CD in the tray to make this work. Each time you restart the vehicle you will have to cycle through the audio sources to level the audio. Honda is aware of this issue on 09+ models and did not offer a fix.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=429741&postcount=12
You definitely have to have a [playable] audio CD loaded before this "workaround" works. You don't have to wait for it to actually start playing - just switching to CD with a disc loaded then switching back to XM will work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So whats the consensus with this compared to the earlier BT35 model? Many here have said that the BT35 model lacked sound when placing phone calls and listening to music via bluetooth. Is this better? Most important for me is the music streaming.

Also, I haven't been able to find the answer- but will this work with a plain factory CD radio? I'm talking no XM, no Nav, but with subwoofer. To clarify, my radio does not have any XM buttons. Just CD, Radio, AUX... and I forget the last one.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
Yes it works with both basic radio or xm/nav equipped setups. The unit comes with a pigtail cable that goes inline with your radio harness. The BT45 is a huge improvement over the BT35. Here is a post from a convert... :)

"Just wanted to report back a few things I learned about the differences between the two aftermarket bluetooth add-on boxes. I've been using the BT35-HON unit with no problems since 2012, other than it occasionally making some noise. But my biggest complaint was the sound quality of audio streaming from the phone. My LG phone seemed to sound OK (a bit tinny, not enough bass, but listenable). But the Samsung phone sounded horrible! It was echoed and made music sound almost out of tune.

Anyway, I saw USASPEC has a new unit out called the BT45-HON3, so I grabbed one on eBay and gave it a shot. The sound quality is much better for audio (about the same for phone calls). The name of the music artist now displays on the radio (although it now says XM instead of CDC when music isn't playing) and incoming phone numbers read on the display now.

I am able to use the same cable and mic as the BT35, so I didn't have to take the radio back out. Just swapped boxes from behind the glove box. New unit has more fidelity and richer bass. Sounds as good as running an AUX cable, in my opinion."

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought Heli's BT45-HON3 and already have it installed. Syncs up easily with my phone and so far works as expected. I'm not as clean of an installer as Heli but I'm happy with it. Later on I'll maybe work on popping off the rear console back and putting in the dock as Heli did but I spent too much time trying to open up the console. For now the wires are hidden and just lay between the console and driver's seat.

Thanks again Heli!

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,801 Posts
..... but I spent too much time trying to open up the console. For now the wires are hidden and just lay between the console and driver's seat.

Thanks again Heli!
Glad it worked out.
To remove the back of the center console pull the bottom out a couple of inches, disconnect the wiring connector and lift the panel up. There are a couple of 'hooks' if you like on the top of the console and the back hang on these. Clips are on the bottom and sides.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-mobile-electronics/23360-dvd-install-taking-apart-centre-console.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Heli for the reply-

So I bit the bullet and purchased the BT45. I chose to have someone else install it though (only took 1.5 hours). Bluetooth connection happens just as soon as I step into my vehicle. Haven't had any issues yet with pairing (been almost 2 months now). Sound is decent- it sounds like there's less bass but it's not bad. I had a rental car (chevy Cruz- during the airbag recall repair) which honestly sounded better. But the sound isn't bad. Phone calls are hit and miss in terms of sound quality. If i'm driving, I can never hear the person talking. If i'm not driving- sometimes I can hear ok. The mic is installed above the rear view mirror. To be honest, I mainly bought this to stream music- and with that, i'm satisfied with the quality.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Heli, thanks for your expertise. This makes me a lot less squeamish about cutting into my ride for the install. One thing I would like to know...what materials or technique did you use to patch the hole you cut to access the xm unit?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts