Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 {Forrest Mist} is nearly a year old and while I have kept it looking decent southern Arizona is a challenging environment. I picked up the Mother's Clay Bar Kit {2 clay bars and a bottle of their Detailer that works as a lubricant when rubbing out the finish with the clay bar - $22.99}. I started at 0700 with a thorough washing and hand drying with a new chamois and a microfiber towel. Into the shady garage it went and I started with the clay bar kit. Utilizing the detailer to lubricate the surface the clay bar is fairly easy to use, the key is to work on a relatively small section at a time {and keep track of where you've been}.

When I finished clay barring the entire truck I brought out a new product, Torque Mirror Shine which is one of several high tech polishes that have been advertised of late on the internet {about $20 for an 8 oz bottle when you buy 3 - I did}. This is a high tech polymer sealer/polish and Wow does this stuff work nice. Once the clear coat is clean by way of the clay barring the polish just sprays on. A light circular rub with a micro fiber towel to spread it and then lightly buff with another {clean/dry} towel. They recommend 2 coats and I did two on the entire truck. I then followed up with 2 more on the hood and front end and 1 more on the tail gate.

By 1030 I was done, good thing as the temperature was north of 90 already. here are a couple pics. The finish is supposed to last 6 months but i'm sure I will be laying on another coat or two at about 3, time and I will tell in a follow up post. here ya go:

That's Mt Lemon in the background {9,200+'} and this morning for the first time in over 3 weeks there is no smoke engulfing the entire mountain. So far 88,000+ acres have burned in 23 days and it is still only 45% contained.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
Truck looks good!

Hope the fires are under control soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
Your truck does look good, @Capt Steve. I can feel the heat right through my monitor. Good work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I follow roughly the same process. Winter in NH means the truck doesn't get as much attention as summer obviously.

My process:
Wash with Chem Guy's Citrus
Clay with the Meguiars Kit
Wax with Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax
Dress Tires with Megs foaming or the costco stuff. I always wipe it after.
Windows get Chemical Guys JetSeal
Interior I use Meguiars Interior Cleaner
Leather, Chemical Guys Cleaner and Conditioner, works really well on the steering wheel
Mats, 303 Aerospace makes them look like new again, especially weathertechs, they are hard to get looking new.

That's about it. Takes me roughly 4 hours unfortunately. Sucks being a perfectionist and bit OCD.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually use nothing on the plastic trim... I have some 303 Aerospace that would work, but it's a touch oily, so if you get it on paint, it's kind of a pain to wipe off.
I too just left the trim clean but untreated. I do use 303 as needed not this time. I do use a leather treatment/conditioner on the interior as the Arizona sun can be brutal this time of year.

:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m a Griot’s Garage product fan. This weekend I finally tried their Ceramic Spray treatment. I started out using their foaming paint prep and a foaming cannon to strip all previous wax/polishes off. Then I clayed it, then I used my orbital andGriot’s BOSS paint correcting cream to make sure I had any fine swirl marks buffed out, then I did the ceramic treatment. Supposed to last a minimum of 6 months. Pretty pleased with the results. In terms of the plastic trim, the ceramic spray is fine to use on it as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 2019 {Forrest Mist} is nearly a year old and while I have kept it looking decent southern Arizona is a challenging environment. I picked up the Mother's Clay Bar Kit {2 clay bars and a bottle of their Detailer that works as a lubricant when rubbing out the finish with the clay bar - $22.99}. I started at 0700 with a thorough washing and hand drying with a new chamois and a microfiber towel. Into the shady garage it went and I started with the clay bar kit. Utilizing the detailer to lubricate the surface the clay bar is fairly easy to use, the key is to work on a relatively small section at a time {and keep track of where you've been}.

When I finished clay barring the entire truck I brought out a new product, Torque Mirror Shine which is one of several high tech polishes that have been advertised of late on the internet {about $20 for an 8 oz bottle when you buy 3 - I did}. This is a high tech polymer sealer/polish and Wow does this stuff work nice. Once the clear coat is clean by way of the clay barring the polish just sprays on. A light circular rub with a micro fiber towel to spread it and then lightly buff with another {clean/dry} towel. They recommend 2 coats and I did two on the entire truck. I then followed up with 2 more on the hood and front end and 1 more on the tail gate.

By 1030 I was done, good thing as the temperature was north of 90 already. here are a couple pics. The finish is supposed to last 6 months but i'm sure I will be laying on another coat or two at about 3, time and I will tell in a follow up post. here ya go:

View attachment 403556 View attachment 403557

That's Mt Lemon in the background {9,200+'} and this morning for the first time in over 3 weeks there is no smoke engulfing the entire mountain. So far 88,000+ acres have burned in 23 days and it is still only 45% contained.
It looks good. Need to ad black side steps. As for high tech polish, not so sure. After claying, recommend boss correcting cream to get out small scratches. Then a quality wax, liquid or paste. Then finish up with speedshine liquid to harden the wax; two or three times a year. Clay gets out the contaminants but not the small scratches. Over time, the correcting cream will smooth out the paint, making it even shine more. Good first step.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 14 Gen.1 in black.
Old buddy says "I can make that shine.been doing it for years"

I was like ok?
Now its trashed with swirls all over it!
I had one guy look at it or he didn't see it but said maybe $500 to fix it depending on how far into the clearcoat he has to go.....
Yikes, any advisor from here?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m a Griot’s Garage product fan.
I only use their stuff. Been using it for years and it has kept my 1994 del Sol (Samba Green) looking pretty good. I haven't had a chance to give the RL the same treatment yet...but soon. I was really interested in the spray foam wash they have, I usually wash the RL every week and it's never really that dirty so I think that stuff might be perfect for me.

·
Super Moderator
5,383 Posts
I’m a Griot’s Garage product fan. This weekend I finally tried their Ceramic Spray treatment. I started out using their foaming paint prep and a foaming cannon to strip all previous wax/polishes off. Then I clayed it, then I used my orbital andGriot’s BOSS paint correcting cream to make sure I had any fine swirl marks buffed out, then I did the ceramic treatment. Supposed to last a minimum of 6 months. Pretty pleased with the results. In terms of the plastic trim, the ceramic spray is fine to use on it as well. View attachment 403633 View attachment 403634 View attachment 403635 View attachment 403636
Nice selfie. The truck looks great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts