Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions from those who are amateur or professional detailers.

1) Should I wax the headlight covers? I did this time around, but I won't if it's not a good idea. I used a wax with no cleaners.

2) Should I wax the wheels? I didn't this time.

3) I got a little bit of wax on the roof rack plastic covers. What should I use to remove it?

4) Should I wax the black plastic "step" areas on the rear bumper? I didn't this time, thinking it would make them slippery.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
shovelhd said:
I have a few questions from those who are amateur or professional detailers.

1) Should I wax the headlight covers? I did this time around, but I won't if it's not a good idea. I used a wax with no cleaners.

3) I got a little bit of wax on the roof rack plastic covers. What should I use to remove it?

4) Should I wax the black plastic "step" areas on the rear bumper? I didn't this time, thinking it would make them slippery.

Thanks in advance :)
Headlights - NO. Any chemicals on the covers could eventually discolor them.

Wheels - fine.

Remove wax with mineral spirits.

Don't put wax on plastic surfaces unless they have a paint finish like the rest of the body.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use an acrylic sealant on my paint and headlights with no problems. It's called Klasse. I then top it with P21s which is a pure carnuba wax. Harley shops sells it. You can get the Klasse from ClassicMotoringAccessories.com. Wheels Here again a carnuba wax will not withstand the heat generated by the wheels. Use a polymer sealant or acrylic sealant or a wax specifically for wheels. Some polymer sealants such as Meguiars NXT wax and some others will stain black plastic trim. I've heard that a pencil eraser will remove it. Never tried. The best bet is to get a sealant that will not stain trim. Do not put wax on plastic. The Klasse AIO (all in one) followed by a good sealant topped with a quality carnuba is long lasting and very reflective especially on dark colors. Wash your vehicle in the shade and dry. Hard water spots are hard to get off.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I may leave my steps alone after making them slippery with Vinylex.

I used to spray tireshine on my tires. I just found that tire shine with the "special applicator sponges for tires" (properautocare.com) works great. I leave the sponge in a plastic container and just spray the product on the sponge then apply. The sponge allows you to get the wheel quickly without getting overspray on the rims or wasting the product. Heck, I guess you might have meant waxing the RIMS. I never used wax on either.

Taping off plastic with masking tape prior to wax application can be a great timesaver. I just started doing that also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mothers has this new rim buffer you out it on the end of your cordless drill it kinda loos like a skin exfoliation sponge you use with a shower gel it actually works really well

·
Registered
491 Posts
I just put Wheel Wax on my cars. Thet say it helps reduce brake dust build-up. It doesn't look promising so far. I also got the Mothers Polish Ball. So-so for me, but my drill was running low. I think a higher rpm electric drill would be better.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I've used the Mothers polish ball on my older noncoated wheels and it did a good job on the aluminum. I don't see where it would be a lot of help on painted or coated wheels.

-Trevor

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
have a few questions from those who are amateur or professional detailers.

1). No, not a good idea.

2). You can. It won't hurt.

3). I found that Mother's "Back to Black" detailing stuff works really good at removing wax from plastic parts. It may take a couple applications, but it does work. Plus, it make plastic look really good.

4). No, don't use wax on anything black. You'll end up getting a white chalky look to them. Use the Mother's Back to Black on the plastic stuff. Like I said, it works. It's a little more work than some of that detailing stuff, because you have to go back and buff it, if you want it to look shiny, but the extra work is worth it, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Wow Shovel, looks like there are more than just a few very well informed detailing junkies among us! :D

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, and my truck is a dirty mess. Who wants to detail it? :D

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
No reason at all to wax the headlights. Clean with warm water when needed. If you want to remove anything from your paint one of the best products has already been mentioned, Klasse AIO which is polisher. Do your whole vehicle with it and apply several coats of Klasse SG (sealant glaze) and you can forget wax forever, at least on lighter colored vehicles.

Between applications (which should be about every six months) and after your wash always use a good detailer spray such as Wipe and Shine by Eagle One which is compatiple with the Klasse There are many good detailers made by PoorBoys and others but be sure they are not alcohol based if you use Klasse.

Apply the AIO and SG to wheels and they will be a snap to clean in the future. Any protectant will do for the step and bed area but, as you point out, if you are going to be walking on them much they may become slippery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts