Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been detailing for about 17 years and have a metric shat ton of equipment and experience. Just picked up my RL and will begin the 100+ hours of reconditioning it'll take for me to get my ridgeline back to my level.

Started on the interior tonight.

Before

Untitled by christsc, on Flickr
Looks like pen or something

Not sure what this is

Lots of dirt stuck in the creases of the leather

General nastiness

Make up stuck on the visor grrrr

This looked WAYYYYY worse in person. Was disgusting.

After

All clean

Haven't conditioned the leather at this point just cleaned it. It was dry as hell too. Got dark on me.

Still need to deep clean the carpets. Then begin the million hours of buffing.

TONS of swirls

The bed has some SERIOUS halos from a hack with a rotary that went to town by the bed. Haven't got any pics of that yet.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have some finger prints on a sun visor and headliner I'd like to get rid of. Can you recommend a product
Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have some finger prints on a sun visor and headliner I'd like to get rid of. Can you recommend a product
Thanks
Mine came brand new clean. I used this for the visors and will be using this on my carpets: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-35-adams-carpet-upholstery-cleaner.aspx

I use Adams polishes quite a bit for detailing. Disclaimer: I don't work for them, I don't get any discounts, kick backs, etc. Just a detailer that stumbled onto their products a few years back and have been replacing my previous product line with theirs. Everything I've tried has worked great. Enough for me to use them 90% of the time. I do have quite a bit of other compounds, 3m to be precise, that I use on REALLY thrashed paint coupled with a rotary. I wouldn't consider myself a brand fanboi. I use what works. :act035: I see Junkman is around here. He used to partner with Adams polishes.

I used this on the leather: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-131-adams-leather-interior-cleaner.aspx
coupled with this on my porter cable 7424xp:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the carpets tonight. They really were in good shape. I had to nit pick to really find any issues.

Before:

After

Took pics of the rest of the interior I finished last night.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OCD?

You would freak out if you saw my truck, and it is only 11 months old.

On the up side...it looks great!
YES! I'm INSANELY OCD. When I bought this I pulled off all the wheels to clean them inside and out. It takes a VERY OCD person to be a high quality detailer, and not one of these guys that goes and buys a pressure washer and a trailer with cheap products.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
So suke...what do you use on the seats? Looks like whatever you used kinda took the wrinkles out of the bolster on the drivers-side seat. Mine is very wrinkled, and probably needs new stuffing, but I would like to find something that would make the wrinkles less noticeable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So suke...what do you use on the seats? Looks like whatever you used kinda took the wrinkles out of the bolster on the drivers-side seat. Mine is very wrinkled, and probably needs new stuffing, but I would like to find something that would make the wrinkles less noticeable.
The lines are still there just not as noticeable since I got the dirt out from the creases. I used my adams leather and interior cleaner and my porter cable 7424xp with cyclo ultra gray brush on speed one and and let it lather really good. Wipe it off with a towel. Then condition it with a conditioner that has natural ingredients. Lanolin in particular. Anything that doesn't specifically say no silicone you want to stay away from. You want it to soak into the leather. Things with silicone won't. They'll ride on top and attract dirt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully tomorrow I can start on the paint. That'll likely take me 20-30 hours to get to where I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally getting around to the paint.

Definitely needed to be clayed. Filthy!

Washed and clayed, inspecting the paint. This panel had tons of artifacts from a hack with a rotary. Hard to see in this pic, but you can see the swirls.

General scratches, and not much shine coming through.
Pretty long scratch up here.

Buffing complete.

Scratches gone and good bit of shine now.

Scratch is gone here too

Sealant on

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,275 Posts
Looks like great work suke.

However, you seem a bit confused. I note both UNC and NCState hangings on your wall. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
186 Posts
You definitely do nice work. I wish we were close enough that you could do mine... Question for you, what do you use to remove road tar and bugs?

Thanks RG

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You definitely do nice work. I wish we were close enough that you could do mine... Question for you, what do you use to remove road tar and bugs?

Thanks RG
Best thing for bugs and tar is to keep a good quality sealant on those prone spots. It'll help to get them off easier. For more stubborn spots clay bar, even worse wd40. If you do use wd40 wash it good with quality soap then cover with a good quality wax/sealant.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about a run down of your favorite or what you would suggest for a weekend amateur, products :act006: please
Most of what I use is from adams polishes.

Tires- super vinyl rubber and tire (svrt for short) also use it on interior plastics and vinyl. Water based and dries to the touch. Contains no silicone.
Leather- voodoo leather rejuvinator by surf city. Has natural bees wax an lanolin. Soaks into the leather and contains no silicone as well.
Sealant- Adams polishes quick sealant on wheels. Also use it every other wash or so on parts prone to bugs and tar.
Wax- like Adams polishes buttery wax. Liquid carnuba.

Check out adamspolishes.com I've tried quite a bit of their stuff and been pleased with everything I've tried. I use their polishes and pads for light buffing as well as their clay, carpet cleaner, and interior cleaner. Been in the detailing game a long time and this is some really good stuff. Fyi I have zero affiliation with them. Just a detailed that likes their stuff.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Thanks for the information. What would you suggest to get through a winter in the rust belt. I'm looking at Klasse all in one polish or Meguires synthetic sealant 2.0

These's a five month period here where all you can do is hose of the salt periodically

Does Adams make a product you would reccomend to handle a Wisconsin winter

1 - 20 of 87 Posts