Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I did after buying my Ridgeline was order four window vents from Lund. They were a snap to put on, look and function great and fit perfectly. For $58 shipped they were a steal compared to the OEM price of around $150.

At first the auto up function on the driver side window would sense the presence of the vent and cause the window to come back half way down. This is a safety feature so you don't close your window on a finger or something. Then, it stopped and you could close it all the way up. About two weeks ago it would go all the way up sometimes and sometimes it would come back half way down again. Now, the window never goes up all the way in auto up mode. In order for me to close the window now I must hold the up button until it shuts.

It is not a big deal but I am wondering if anyone else who has window vents has this problem.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I have the Lund windows vents also - when it is very hot ( like today 97 in wally world home town ) If I lower the window all the way down and auto up the window, it will go down in the final 1/8 of an inch. If I close it to about an inch and auto close it, it does fine.

It never is a problem when it is cool. I think the warmer it is the more sensitive the finger in window detector becomes ( I think it works on current flow measurment).

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
this is what mine look like (3 pics)

and lund bug shield (last pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great pics Larryr. In fact, they show the Lunds so well I don't have to take a picture. Now that you mention it, the problem did start when the temps got about 95. I did not think temprature would affect the auto up feature but it probably does.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, DoctorJ, the OEMs are also an in-channel design. Most window visors are installed simply with tape to the outside but many are going to the in-channel type. The strange thing is that I did not have much of a problem at first as the auto up window safety feature would not kick in all the time and the window would close. Only since it has gotten near 100 degrees here in Texas have I had the problem of the window coming back down. It will be interesting to see what happens when the weather cools.

·
Registered
265 Posts
shortspark said:
Yes, DoctorJ, the OEMs are also an in-channel design. Most window visors are installed simply with tape to the outside but many are going to the in-channel type. The strange thing is that I did not have much of a problem at first as the auto up window safety feature would not kick in all the time and the window would close. Only since it has gotten near 100 degrees here in Texas have I had the problem of the window coming back down. It will be interesting to see what happens when the weather cools.

The OEM's are "in-channel" but not like the ones in the pics. They have 3 or 4 clips that attach under the rubber window gasket, but they ALSO have 3M tape to attach to the door itself. I personally liked the "in-channel" designs, but had issues as well with auto up/down on my Element. The OEM ones, although a little pricey, are good because they have a very low profile compared to the aftermarket ones, and by combining the clips & 3M tape, are very secure. I have had them a few months now, and been through 10 -12 car washes without a problem......

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Hondas vents and bug shield. Had Honda install them too. Until I read this thread, I didn't know they had an auto up feature. However, I have had no problems with them and they look great. They also look like they are built well.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I did but they were installed at the dealer when I bought my truck.Check out the image gallery for 'my dressed up Ridgeline'

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Solved the problem - all I had to do was clean the top of the window and the "in-channel". I used windex and cleaned off the light film of grease or whatever was on the top part. The auto-up feature now works every time. I blamed the heat but now I don't think heat had anything to do with it. Just keep the top part of the window clean and degrease the window channel and that should fix it.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
shanny said:
love the bug shield what is the website you buy that from they want about 130 for the honda one
I bought them at steve vans on the internet - I had to call them to get the right items

the link http://www.svcustoms.com/

·
Registered
268 Posts
Previously, I've always had the stick-on, with zero problems. On our recent Civic, they happened to be the "in-channel" design. Lasted 6 months and had to remove the driver's side (tossed them).

I'll go back to the stick-on's for this Ridgeline. Anyone know a good brand name? Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Toobuku said:
I did but they were installed at the dealer when I bought my truck.Check out the image gallery for 'my dressed up Ridgeline'
Could you please post the link for your photos in the image gallery? I scanned through it and also in your posts and only found places you'd commented in other threads in the gallery.

I'm looking for close up photos of the OEM vents to compare to the Lund ones. My decision will probably come down to the ones I can get the quickest.

Are these easy to install? The OEMs look a bit trickier. I couldn't find any posts with photos of the installation process.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Truckin' said:
Could you please post the link for your photos in the image gallery? I scanned through it and also in your posts and only found places you'd commented in other threads in the gallery.

I'm looking for close up photos of the OEM vents to compare to the Lund ones. My decision will probably come down to the ones I can get the quickest.

Are these easy to install? The OEMs look a bit trickier. I couldn't find any posts with photos of the installation process.
Hi Truckin, I got the in channel ones by Ventshade. It took less than five minutes to install and it looks great. They are dark grey. The drivers window auto up works.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Tex's Ridge said:
Hi Truckin, I got the in channel ones by Ventshade. It took less than five minutes to install and it looks great. They are dark grey. The drivers window auto up works.
Thanks for that tip. Where did you get the Ventshades? I've not heard of that brand. Were they also cheaper than the OEMs? Do you have any photos to show me what they look like?

Hawk, thanks to you too. I have looked at the installation instructions. I like photos better. Did anyone install and photograph the process?

I've never had window vents, so decided between the in channel and stick ons is completely out of my domain. I don't really like the big lump or curve on the back window ones from Lund. I read that the OEMs have a lower profile and would like to see a photo that shows this close up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts